A little help performing the 2.2 recovery?

Last Updated:

1. modestrock

modestrock Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so I've rooted my phone in 2.0.1 because I've failed a few times to get the 2.2 update to work properly and installing 2.1 upon rooting takes too much time when you fail over and over.

With that said I tried installing 2.2 via the recovery. It unpacked installed etc. Then when it booted it now had a new opening splash. It just said android with some light going over it as if it were loading possibly? But it would blink as if to boot into something and just pop back up like it was resetting.

Then I noticed on mydroid they mentioned installing an update.zip file in order to use the sprecovery. Tried that on 2.01 then tried installing the 2.2 recovery via advanced recovery etc. Still just the android name continuously. I've succesfully gotten smoked glass working on this phone before. So I know my way around a little.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong? All the guides I'm finding have dead links so its been a real pain to find a straightfpward step by step.
    My question is that logo means somethings wrong I'm assuming? And I did notice I had version 0.99.2b not 0.99.3b? like I had last time.

http://mydroidworld.com/forums/moto...oyo-2-2-your-motorola-droid-rooted-users.html

Version I tried installing.

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Which FroYo are you using? Because the default (base) FroYo ROMs do not have a different boot animation....they use the same one that has been there since the original DROID 2.0 ROM....

3. modestrock

That's what I figured. Its the sp recovery straight from mydroidworld. I figured its a splash you get when its not booting properly.

http://mydroidworld.com/forums/moto...oyo-2-2-your-motorola-droid-rooted-users.html

froyo-BS-20100605-0547 is the file I'm using. Well technically it's a folder.

http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/...-root-your-droid-2-0-1-simple-noob-guide.html

here is the method I used for root.

If someone has a cleaner version of how to get all this done by all means point me in that direction.

4. johnlgalt

5. modestrock

Thanks man. I just needed to find a good solid guide. It's such a pain when most of the guides I find are just journalism blogs copying the same vague guide with 6 steps.

I remember why I didn't use that one. When you get to required update.zip on the "How to get root" part. It's no longer a valid link :(

6. johnlgalt

If you already got the udpate.zip for obtaining root from another site, use it - it should be the same file.

7. modestrock

Are they the same usually? it's about 10 Mb. And I'm assuming I should start from 2.0.1? or does it matter?

One last thing

Nvm I foudn it in a little more reading :)

8. modestrock

9. johnlgalt

In order:

The middle one, or the bottom one (depending upon what you have on your phone now)

The top one is for users already running FroYo (aka Android OS ver. 2.2 - which, if you are not yet rooted, you cannot be running).

10. modestrock

Well I followed the steps. Had 2.1 rooted then unpacked the folder from mydroidworld and now my droid is just loading with the droid start up. It gets to the red eye and goes for a bit then just resets. :\

11. johnlgalt

Start over - follow a single guide to get rooted.

Then post back as to what you want to do next.