A little slow on the 2.1 update

Last Updated:

1. ronj

ronj Member This Topic's Starter

So, I've kinda strayed away from the 2.1 update because it was either leaked or it was just rumors. Anyway, I have a Hero:

Firmware ver: 1.5

Build Number: Fresh Rom 1.1

Software version: 1.56

I'm rooted and I don't have any complaints. If I want to upgrade to 2.1, can I do that off my phone and the Sprint Network or do I gotta take it in?

Also, how will this affect my phone? Will I have to re-download all my apps? Do I have to Un-root and get the 2.1 update and Root again?

I'm perfectly fine with my phone now, however if it will substantially make me happier, I'd be willing to do it. Hence the rooting.

Advice? Opinions?

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Might I suggest just trying one of the 2.1 based ROM's?

3. Bat~man

Bat~man Well-Known Member

You can get the official 2.1 off of Sprints website, but I wouldn't as it kills your ability to root and it is full of problems. You will need to back up your apps.

I would keep root and get the 2.1 on top of it or try one of the many great 2.1 roms

4. chinkster

chinkster Well-Known Member

go find the official 2.1 RUU that ends with .5 not .6 on xda so you can still be able to root if u want.

5. Hoos

Hoos Well-Known Member

This is not an OTA update. You need to download it and install it via a Windows PC. The last time I looked (last week), the one on Sprint's site was still rootable. When you unpack the zip file the update number should be 2.27.651.5. If it's 2.27.651.6, you will lose root ability.

It wipes your phone completely. You will have to redownload your apps. You will not have to pay for them again, as long as you set it up with the same gmail account with which you bought the apps. They'll show up for you automatically in the new Market.

I don't know.

Advice: BACKUP EVERYTHING FIRST WITH A BACKUP APP.

Read the quirks sticky at the top, read other poster's issues/satisfaction with the 2.1 update.

I finally took the plunge and have been happy - I have not had any issues. Here are the steps I took to perform the upgrade..

6. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

^This
    There are many roms that the devs have cooked up that can fit anybody's taste/preference, that don't seem to have all the issues the official release has had.... Try some, and if you don't like any of them, you can flash the official release...