A little tip....

Last Updated:

1. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I will say that other than the initial root procedure of pushing files to the phone, I have done everything over the air....either by 3g or by wifi. It sure does simplify things. It makes it even simpler if you use "Chrome to Phone". You just find the download(ROM,fontpack,etc.) on your desktop and go to the particular page, then click "send to phone" and there is the webpage, right on your phone. Click the download file and then you will see your download icon in the notification bar. When the download is complete you can either just clear the notification and go find it on your SD Card(it will be in the "/download" on your SD Card) or you can select the item in the notification bar and act from there. I have ROM Manager and Astro File Manager. When I select the item directly from the notification bar a popup occurs and asks me if I would like to complete the action using ROM Manager or Astro File Manager. If I choose ROM Manager then it asks if I would like to clear cache and davlik,etc. and then basically asks you a few more questions and then goes right into the install.

I will admit that I have donwloaded everything over wifi just to get a clean download. I will also warn anybody that this may not be the cleanest way to do things since I imagine things could get corrputed with a poor connection. But, like I said, I have done all of my file downloading over wifi and everything has been very smooth. I have noticed that if I am downloading a ROM, I need to "babysit" the download and not allow the screen to time out. It seems that if I allow the screen to time out, I get a download "Unsuccessful" message.

Anyway, I can download and install a fontpack basically in the time it takes to reboot the phone. I also download multiple fontpacks just so I can have them on the SD Card and install whenever the mood strikes me....good luck!!!

Just remember, this stuff goes into the "/download"file/folder on your SD Card

Advertisement
    Brent Pierce likes this.
  2. pinoy724

pinoy724 Well-Known Member

I 2nd this motion.

Also another tip. I have Extended Controls with an Always Screen On toggle when I download from my phone using wifi. With that on you can walk away from your phone and it will not time out on you while downloading. Just remember to toggle it off when your done downloading or it will drain your battery.

flyjbaker likes this.
  3. GrandMasterBirt

GrandMasterBirt Well-Known Member

I find that annoying. Since I use AmunRa I have to then move everything over... yesh. I just download, drop onto root, name it well, and then be done with it.

Honestly I do wish Ra would allow sub-directories.

4. wrapkgb

wrapkgb Well-Known Member

Amon FTW! Its all personal preference but I stay away for clockwork and rom manager. No that one is better than the other, its just I feel more comfortable doing everything manually and I have never had a problem with AMON. And as far as downlonding ROMs, kernals, fonts, themes or any other MOD OTA, I would only stick with wifi or 4g only... Downloading 170mg+ files over a 3g connection leaves plenty of error downloading such a large file. Plus a HUGE dent on the battery! ; ) Anyways thats my 2 cents if anyone cares. lol

What ever your preference is remember if you run into a problem there is usually always a solution!!!

Happy Rooting!

5. novarider

novarider Well-Known Member

I download all ROMS I flash with my phone no problem. If you use juice defender make sure to turn it off or it wont download when the screen is off. When juice defender is turned off my phone downloads ROMS just fine when the screen shuts off and its not bad on battery life either.

If you move a lot of files on your phone you should get root explorer from the marketplace. It's much easier to use than astro and you can access the data file on your phone.

6. phillie

phillie Member

Very good tip for us noobs. I just rooted my EVO 4G to revoulution. I was able to tether it but I'm still trying to learn about where to get fonts/roms, flash, how to download them, updates, and all the saving of roots and stuff.

I followed all the directions from Rooting for Dummies. Now I have to learn everything else. I have to admit it does seem to be overwhelming.

7. wrapkgb

wrapkgb Well-Known Member

Don't worry it will become less overwhelming with more reading and asking questions. You should head over to XDA and read up! Tons of info over there!!!!

8. ariot

ariot Member

I download my roms straight into my phone using wifi, and once using 4g. My screen times out in 1 minute and I have never had any problems with the download. So I have never had to leave my screen on. In all, I would say I have dowloaded a rom about 10 times. Mostly versions of Fresh and Baked Snacks. I use Rom Manager and Astro, but now that I know where the download will be, I do not use Astro when flashing roms again.

Ariot!