• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help A network error has occured

Tried some of the things listed above, none of which worked. :-( This is a T-Mobile G2X.

I wish there were some consolidation of the tips here. To try each one, only to encounter failure, gets trying on the nerves, especially when I'm under a deadline to get some data online and I can't because of this phone problem.

To be precise, only T-Mobile Mall's Applications and Games report this error. Ringtones and CallerTunes both work just fine. I don't understand how only two features of a downloader app that presumably ought to be using the same network would fail in a way that requires anything more drastic than a restart of the phone, but see below.

Going to try to summarize everything here:

• Reboot the phone - same error.
  • Flipped WiFi on, then off - same error. (I typically never use WiFi anyway. I'm on a 4G network, if my phone is to be believed.)
  • Try phone call, check for "not registered on network" - phone calls work fine.
  • Visit a few websites to "train" the phone - websites come in fine (it's plausible that this was some sort of DNS problem), but Applications still doesn't.
  • Update the OS - seriously, would this need an OS update?? Anyway, OS reports it's the latest version.
  • Settings > Data Manager > Data Delivery > Data enabled - no such setting under Settings. Anyway, data is clearly on, as I can tell if I try to email a picture to myself.
  • Change DNS server to Google's 8.8.8.8 - apparently the only way to do that is through an app. This may very well be the most aggravating thing I've seen yet. Skip.
  • Settings > Privacy > Factory Data Reset - hmm. After a check to ensure it wouldn't in fact delete all the pictures and video that I needed to get off this phone using an app I couldn't download because the app store is broken, I tried this. Then I had to resync my phone with my Google account, and put a few apps back on my quickbar(?), and a few others won't be there for a while because I have to download them again, as expected. Mall > Applications > ...network error. Same as before. Wait: my phone now re-detects several months worth of software upgrades, so I wait an hour and a half... network error still.

Summary: going through all these steps has made my phone less usable.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones