mickisme Member

Hi,

HTC Desire
    Software number: 2.33.161.2
    Android Version: 2.2
    Network: Vodafone UK
    Taskiller Used?: smartbar
    [Optional]Are You rooted & which Rom: No

My phone has been locking up/crashing completely. The only way to be able to use the phone is to take the battery out and reboot. I've been unable to reproduce the error, (it's not one action that causes it to lock up/crash). It still does it even when I'm not using the phone. I can leave it for a period with the screen off or whatever and come back to it but the screen won't turn on and I have to resort to flipping out the battery.

I've done a hard factory reset twice now but no luck. I'm now considering whether or not rooting it will fix the problem, but I don't want to void the warranty just yet without making sure there's no other way to fix it.

I'm not sure if it's related but yesterday the SD card failed to mount properly and I received the error message:

Mounted ReadOnly
    The SD card has an unexpected problem. Tapping.....(cant read the rest of the message)

I fixed this by opening up the SD & Phone storage area of settings, then bringing down the notifications and pressing the error message. then whilst it's attempting to fix itself repeatedly pressing format SD card. (I wasn't too bothered about losing everything on it as it's all been backed up to my PC). The SD card formatted under android and now works fine :)

If anyone can help with the locking up/crashing issue above that'd be great... i'm really considering sending it to HTC / Vodafone to get them to fix it or send me a new one but i'm abit wary of sending my phone off with any personal data on it, even after a hard factory reset...

Thanks

Advertisement
    :
  2. Vicdude

Vicdude Well-Known Member

Errors like this are almost impossible to rectify by design. As you have stated, it is a random, un reproduceable (is that even a word? :D ) fault.
    As your phone is still under warranty (if you have insurance even better) get it sent off. With regards to any personal data that is still on there.... really, do you think that HTC/Vodaphone actually give a toss about your stuff, they have thousands of phones going through everyday I'm sure. The things get zapped and then re programmed, they haven't got time to care about errant data on your phone. Trust me :D
    It's not worth NOT sending your phone off to be replaced...... :D
    mickisme likes this.
  3. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Have you tried a different SD card?
  4. mickisme

mickisme Member

Phone came back from HTC repair saying no fault found. but they did do a repair...

Phone then froze within half an hour of having it back. only installed a few well known apps - dropbox, evernote, juice defender, launcher pro.

Phoned up HTC, told them it was still happening, they suggested doing a trial and error test to see if it was an app causing the phone to freeze. They said that the phone would have had a new motherboard put in so it was unlikely to be a hardware issue.

Did a factory reset, only synced up my google contacts. No apps. The phone froze 3 times in 24 hours, once in the morning, then twice in quick succession in the evening, within 3 mins of each other.

I'm now wondering whether to send the phone off and get it "repaired" again by HTC, or to attempt to root it and see if that fixes the issue.

I resolved the original SD card issue, and it no longer has any mounting issues, still using the same SD card. Could it be causing the freezing problem?

Thanks
  5. grentuu

grentuu Well-Known Member

A step by step approach would be best. I would

1) New sd card (all fat32 - no clever ext partitions - format with phone)
    2) factory reset
    3) install nothing for 12 hours (or reasonable period of time)
    4) just use as phone during that time

This will tell you if the phone it self has an issue.

Then install 1 app at a time and see if each app causes issue.

Personally though I would take it back and get a replacement, but at leas if you have done this and still get the error it has to be a hardware fault. I wouldn't root as it may not and probably won't solve the issue and you would then have to unroot to return to htc or retailer

If your stuck for an sd card I have a 2gb you can have foc
  6. mickisme

mickisme Member

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help with this, I've found a temporary solution, though it's really not ideal...

If I leave the media player running or leave tunein radio on the phone doesn't crash, though it does eat the battery!

Just wondering if anyone knows why this is? Why is it that running the media player prevents the phone from crashing but without it the phone crashes unexpectedly?

Thanks

mickisme
  7. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

If you are rooted, I would suggest that it crashes when it goes to sleep, possibly because the voltage supplied to the CPU is too low. Leaving a media player runnign would increase the voltage to the CPU, preventing the crash.

However this would be with undervolted kernels, only on rooted phones. I would never expect to see this on a stock one.

Other than sending it back to HTC or debranding it yourself (Affects warranty), I cant thonk of anything you can try (or even what the cause may be)

Its certainly an odd one,
    mickisme likes this.
  8. mickisme

mickisme Member

Thanks SU, i've been reading up on your compilation guide to rooting and the FAQ. Have decided I'd like to root and try a custom ROM to see if that will fix the problem.

From reading your guide i know i need to figure out my ARA version though i've no idea what the 'ARA' version is? This is what my phone information and HBOOT menu brings up...

Android version: 2.2

Baseband version:
    32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27

Kernel version:
    2.6.32.15-g2633d94
    htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

Build number:
    2.33.161.2 CL284385 release-keys

Software number:

Browser version
    Webkit 3.1

BRAVO PVT1 SHIP S-ON
    HBOOT-0.93.0001
    MICROP-031d
    TOUCH PANEL-SYNT0101
    RADIO-5.11.05.27

I'm on vodafone, they branded it with an OTA update that added a load of bloat, fortunately they removed all the bloat with the next OTA update and the vodafone boot screen disappeared. Does this mean the phone is now unbranded?

Am i able to root using unrevoked and if so, which version will I need?

Thanks

mickisme
  9. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

What is smartbar? Are you killing apps?
  10. mickisme

mickisme Member

I used to have it installed, it's an app that has a task manager feature, search on the market for it. Though now it doesn't work on froyo too well.

Thanks
  11. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Just making sure thats not the problem, killing tasks can cause your phone to crash
    mickisme likes this.
  12. mickisme

mickisme Member

Thanks Lekky, have just been reading your article on droid den about task killers... never going to use a task killer again!

Am planning on rooting sometime this week when i've got the chance, just need to know how i can find out what ARA version I have, or even what ARA is... i've been searching the forums and generally on the internet but no luck...? Couldn't I just use unrevoked 3.32?

Thanks
  13. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

ARA is a branded rom. You are not on ARA. The build number of ARA is x.xx.415.x.

You are on Vodafone as yours starts x.xx.161.x

Its the 3rd set of numbers which identifies if a rom is branded or not and to which carrier. ARA will always be x.xx.415.x