• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A new (used) Inspire...suggestions?

dmullens

May 4, 2011
Hi All,

I purchased a used Inspire that should be delivered tomorrow. I don't know what version of Android is on it (but the website said 2.2.2 I believe). The first thing I would like to do is root it. I've read through everything about the Advance Ace hack Kit. I think I'm going to root it from a Ubuntu 10.4 live cd (like the instructions suggested).

Anyway, is there anything I need to be aware of, or any tips, suggestions you can give? I haven't seen too many 'issues' surrounding the Inspire, but I haven't been looking very long either. Thanks!

If you spend some time reading through the various threads here you'll see that there aren't really any widespread major issues with the phone that can't be resolved or worked around. A lot of people seem to get jammed up when rooting mostly b/c they don't take the time to thoroughly read the instructions. But it sounds like you're are.

Some issues with the stock messaging app after the GB update. But use a third party app like GOSMS or Handcent and you'll never even notice 'em.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I use Google Voice for texting, so I'm not real concerned about the messaging app.

The phone came today and it is running Android 2.2.1 Also, I don't have the option to "install programs from unknown sources." I tried to check for an update from AT&T, but it said "server unavailable."

I did see there was an update from HTC though.

My question: Should I update the phone before I try rooting it, or is it okay to update the phone and then root?

If it is okay to update it, how do I get the AT&T update? Or is the HTC update the only one I need to worry about?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I believe the HTC update is the one that updates to Gingerbread. If you root it you won't be able to get the official updates from ATT or HTC. But don't worry about that. Root it and flash a custom ROM. Pretty much all custom ROMs will be based on Gingerbread. I think there's an ICS one available now as well. And the custom ROM developers update their stuff way more often than ATT or HTC do.

If you just want to run the stock ROM you can update then root. The AAHK will keep your current ROM intact. But if you're comfortable rooting then flashing a ROM shouldn't be an issue, so why bother with the update. You can even find a rooted stock ROM that has all the ATT bloatware already removed.

Reactions: dmullens
Upvote 0
Thanks. I know how these things can go and I really like this phone and don't want to brick it.

I did root it because I need to run droidwall since I pay for my data (gophone plan). So far so good.

Is flashing a rom more or less difficult? What are some potential "gotchas"? I saw the info at the end of the effen manual. Are those the instructions to flash a rom?

Thanks again. Just trying to be very careful.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I know how these things can go and I really like this phone and don't want to brick it.

I did root it because I need to run droidwall since I pay for my data (gophone plan). So far so good.

Is flashing a rom more or less difficult? What are some potential "gotchas"? I saw the info at the end of the effen manual. Are those the instructions to flash a rom?

Thanks again. Just trying to be very careful.

Flashing a ROM is pretty simple and not much risk in terms of bricking the phone. From what I've read, the potential for bricking it is highest during the root process or when flashing a radio. Since you were able to root successfully, you shouldn't be too concerned about flashing a ROM.

You'll need to flash a custom Recovery first. I can't recall if AAHK installs ClockworkMod during the root process. If not, install ROM Manager and then flash ClockworkMod from that. While CWM is the most commonly used Recovery, I like 4EXT better. Does everything CWM does and a bit more.

Take a read through these guides for flashing ROMs. They really helped give me better understanding of what is involved and removed a lot of the mystery for me when I first started down this path.

How To Install A ROM Or App On Android Device From Recovery

What Is ClockworkMod Recovery And How To Use It On Android [Complete Guide]

Once you wrap your head around those, head over to the xda forums and take a look at all the different ROMs and pick one. Make sure to backup your current ROM through Recovery before flashing a new one. If something doesn't go right, you can always restore to a state that you know worked.

Each time you flash a new ROM you're going to need to set it all up from scratch so set aside some time to do it. And every custom ROM will have its own little bugs or issues. So don't get too frustrated of minor things. Heck, even the stock ROM isn't without its issues.

There are a few threads here as well where we discussed choosing custom ROMs and such. Take some time to read through those to see what others recommend.

Upvote 0
That helps a lot. I guess the down side is having to set everything up again. I just downloaded a lot of the Google Apps and will probably have to set them up each time. I have done a backup with titanium backup so I'm sure that will help.

Thanks for the links. They are what I've been looking for.

Upvote 0
That helps a lot. I guess the down side is having to set everything up again. I just downloaded a lot of the Google Apps and will probably have to set them up each time. I have done a backup with titanium backup so I'm sure that will help.

Thanks for the links. They are what I've been looking for.

Yeah, setting everything up again is kind of a pain. And be careful with the TiBackups. Make sure you're only restoring user apps & data. If you restore system app & data from one ROM into a different ROM you may run into problems.

Upvote 0
Make sure you're only restoring user apps & data. If you restore system app & data from one ROM into a different ROM you may run into problems.

I hadn't thought about that. My first (and only so far) backup was everything...apps...system. I should probably go somewhere and read some instructions before I try to ever restore ;)

I'm assuming I would just backup my apps, then flash the new rom, download TiBackup, and then restore the apps?

Not sure when I will try this, but from the links you sent, it does look a bit easier than rooting the thing....although the thought of wiping _everything_ from my phone in the process makes me a bit queezy. Of course I've done crazier things on the PC side, but always knew there was a way to fix it (i.e. probably wouldn't brick my PC).

Upvote 0
Creating a backup in Recovery is different than a backup with TiB. A backup in Recovery (aka a nandroid) creates an image of each partition. So when you restore it, the phone is returned to the exact state it was when you made the backup. Same apps installed, home screen widgets exactly where you left them. That's why you want to create it right before you flash the new ROM.

With TiB, it's backing up the app apks and the data. But if you restore a system app into a ROM based on a different framework, you could end up with a lot of force closures.

Upvote 0
Thanks...that is helpful. I've been reading through the forums, but since the phone is a year old some of the information doesn't apply anymore. I think with your tips and info I will be able to flash a ROM. It sounds pretty straight forward. Still not sure when I will do it...perhaps when I have a few hours to kill ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones