• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A Newbie's Best Friend: Rooting and Flashing Step by Step Guide

ShinySide

Extreme Android User
Jul 30, 2011
Palm Bay, Florida
If you are an Esteem owner and new to Android rooting and flashing this will be your best friend, Lets get started shall we:

How To Root And Flash Clockwork Recovery All At Once-

Download the CWR AIO from the All Things Root section (The Forum you are in) You can find direct links to it in the All Things Root Guide that is stickied at the top of this forum.

Thanks to
PlayfulGod and mtmichaelson they have made it very simple and easy to root and flash Clockwork Recovery all in one shot. Here's the How to step by step:

1- Download CWR onto your computer

2- After downloaded, right click and select "Extract" and extract the file.

3- Once extracted, on your phone go to Settings>Applications>Development and check the box next to "USB Debugging"

4- Then plug your phone into your computer and pull down the status bar and press the "USB Connected" notification and select "Internet Mode" and hit OK

5- Open the CWR file you extracted. Once you are in the file, double click "cwm_windows_install.bat" if you are using Windows or if you have Linux double click "cwm_linux_install.sh"

Now a black window will pop up and a bunch of stuff will run. Just let it do its thing and your phone will reboot and you will be not only be rooted but will have CWR flashed to your phone.

To reboot the easiest way download Quick Boot (Reboot) free off the Android Market. Open the app and select "Reboot into Recovery"

How To Make A Backup After Rebooting Into Recovery-

Once you flashed the CWR All in One Root and Recovery you want to make a back up BEFORE you do anything else. To make a back up in recovery:

1- Once you have used Quick Reboot to boot into recovery and are in CWR, using your volume keys to scroll and your power button to select, scroll down to "Back up and Restore" and select it.

2- Select "back up" with your power button

3- CWR will proceed to make a back up of your current ROM. It takes a couple minutes, but once its done select "Reboot System Now" and your phone will reboot

To restore,a back up follow the same steps but instead of selecting "back up" after selecting "Back Up and Restore" select "restore" then select a back up to restore.

How To Install A Custom Kernel-

Download a kernel of your choice from the All Things Root section (The Forum you are in) You can find direct links to each of them in the All Things Root Guide that is stickied at the top of this forum.

1- Once downloaded, its recommended to download it from your computer and place it on your phone, put it on the root of your internal or external sd card. Root meaning not in a folder.

2- Reboot into recovery using Quick Reboot.

3- Then scroll down to "Install Zip From Sd", if you put the kernel on your external SD card select "choose zip from SD". If you put it on your internal scroll down and select 'choose zip from internal". Then after you selected one of those depended on where you put the kernel, scroll down and select the kernel and then Select "Yes".

Let it run and do its thing and once it says its done, select "reboot system now" and enjoy :)

To overclock download SetCPU, CPUMaster, Android Overclock or an alike app.

How to Flash A Custom ROM-

Download a ROM of your choice from the All Things Root section (The Forum you are in) You can find direct links to each of them in the All Things Root Guide that is stickied at the top of this forum.

1- Once downloaded, its recommended to download it from your computer and place it on your phone, put it on the root of your internal or external sd cards. Root meaning not in a folder.

3- Using your volume keys to scroll and your power key to select, scroll down tand select "Wipe data/Factory Reset" then scroll to "Yes" and select.

4- Scroll down and select "Wipe Cache Partition" and then select "Yes"

5- Scroll down and select "Advanced" and select "Wipe Dalvik Cache" and then select "Yes" then scroll down and select "Go Back"

6- Sroll down and select "mounts and storage" then scroll down and select ONLY these 3 listed, "format data" and then select "Yes", then scroll down and select "format cache" and then select "Yes", then scroll down and select "format system" and then select "Yes". Then scroll down to and select "Go Back"

7- Then scroll down to "Install Zip From Sd", if you put the ROM on your external SD card select "choose zip from SD". If you put it on your internal scroll down and select 'choose zip from internal". Then after you selected one of those depended on where you put the ROM, scroll down and select the ROM and then Select "Yes".

Let it run and do its thing and once it says its done, select "reboot system now" and enjoy :)

How To Flash A Theme-

Download a theme of your choice from the All Things Root section (The Forum you are in) You can find direct links to each of them in the All Things Root Guide that is stickied at the top of this forum.

1- Once downloaded, its recommended to download it from your computer and place it on your phone, put it on the root of your internal or external sd cards. Root meaning not in a folder.

3- Using your volume keys to scroll and power button to select, scroll down and select "wipe cache partition" and then select "Yes"

4- Scroll down to and select "Advanced" and then select "Wipe Dalvik Cache"

5- Then scroll down and select "Go Back"

6-
Then scroll down to "Install Zip From Sd", if you put the theme on your external SD card select "choose zip from SD". If you put it on your internal scroll down and select 'choose zip from internal". Then after you selected one of those depended on where you put the theme, scroll down and select the theme and then Select "Yes".

Final Words-

These steps, especially the steps for ROM flashing, are the ones I take. I wrote it so Im writing my steps so shush for the peanut gallery! ;) :p

Also as always you and only you are solely responsible for what you do to your phone, PlayfulGod, MtMichealson, Aplus, KaneOfMars, Idrifta, Spc_Hicks09, GBiggie, all the great helpers here, Android Forums nor myself are not responsible for what you do to your phone.

Well...... Enjoy and Happy Flashing! :)

If anyone see's anything I missed let me know and I'll add it.

Nice job man. This thread will solve like 20 other threads out there lol.

I was just going to make a post about reverting back to stock, seeing as how I just tried to exchange my Esteem got bent over by Metro, and my warranty voided. I can't believe I didn't check the apps list before I turned it in, and SuperUser was somehow still installed. Anyways, I think these are the steps (generalized):

1. Flash Stock ZVB ROM
2. Run Unroot script
3. * I went though the Internal SD and deleted anything to do with root apps, not sure if this is needed or a good idea.
4. Upgrade to ZVC (To get CWM removed)
5. Factory reset, and make sure all root apps are deleted (oops :mad:)

Hope no one else makes the same mistake....

Upvote 0
Flashed it but it's been like this for a good 8 minutes now. Is this normal? (scroll to the bottom)
[*] LG Esteem Root
'CWM' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
[*] Exploit copyright (C) 2011 Revolutionary
[*] Initial Scripting for LG Esteem by Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)
[*] Re-Done with CWM Install, and other Mods by Matt Michaelson (@mtmichaelson)
[*] Before continuing, ensure USB debugging is enabled, that you
[*] have the latest LG drivers installed, and that your phone is
[*] connected via USB.
[*]
[*] Press enter to root your phone...
Press any key to continue . . .
[*]
[*] Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
[*] Device found.
[*] Pushing exploit binary...
1392 KB/s (0 bytes in 22281.000s)
4033 KB/s (0 bytes in 5292032.001s)
[*] Running exploit...

[**] Zerg rush - Android 2.2/2.3 local root
[**] (C) 2011 Revolutionary.

[**] Parts of code from Gingerbreak, (C) 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew.

[+] Found a GingerBread ! 0x00017118
[*] Sending 149 zerglings ...
[*] Trying a new path ...
[+] Zerglings caused crash (good news): 0x40121cd4 0x0054
[*] Researching Metabolic Boost ...
[+] Speedlings on the go ! 0xafd25611 0xafd390bf
[*] Poping 24 more zerglings
[*] Sending 173 zerglings ...

[+] Rush did it ! It's a GG, man !
[*] Installing root tools...
rm failed for /system/tmp/su, No such file or directory
rm failed for /system/tmp/busybox, No such file or directory
rm failed for /system/tmp/Superuser.apk, No such file or directory
rm failed for /system/etc/install-recovery.sh, No such file or directory
rm failed for /system/recovery-from-boot.p, No such file or directory
rmdir failed for /system/tmp, No such file or directory
1389 KB/s (0 bytes in 22228.000s)
3154 KB/s (0 bytes in 1867568.000s)
3274 KB/s (0 bytes in 785801.000s)
[*] Backing Up Stock Recovery.img to SDCard...
4096+0 records in
4096+0 records out
16777216 bytes transferred in 1.449 secs (11578478 bytes/sec)
[*] Installing CWM...
1292+0 records in
1292+0 records out
5292032 bytes transferred in 1.132 secs (4674939 bytes/sec)
[*] Cleaning up...
[*] Rebooting...

Upvote 0
Excellent write up Shiny!

Nuttmeg has nothing on you (other than a few extra phones):eek:

Shiny.jpg

Upvote 0
I have no idea how to do the following. :( Can someone help me?

How To Make A Backup After Rebooting Into Recovery-

Once you flashed the CWR All in One Root and Recovery you want to make a back up BEFORE you do anything else. To make a back up in recovery:

1- Once you have used Quick Reboot to boot into recovery and are in CWR, using your volume keys to scroll and your power button to select, scroll down to "Back up and Restore" and select it.

2- Select "back up" with your power button

3- CWR will proceed to make a back up of your current ROM. It takes a couple minutes, but once its done select "Reboot System Now" and your phone will reboot

To restore,a back up follow the same steps but instead of selecting "back up" after selecting "Back Up and Restore" select "restore" then select a back up to restore.
[/COLOR]

Upvote 0
The first step. I dont know what is "Quick Reboot" is.
"1- Once you have used Quick Reboot to boot into recovery and are in CWR, using your volume keys to scroll and your power button to select, scroll down to "Back up and Restore" and select it."

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.siriusapplications.quickboot&hl=en

This is the app from the market that gives you the option to reboot, power off or RECOVERY (REBOOT INTO RECOVERY).

Much easier than holding the phone keys to achieve the same goal-getting into recovery:cool:

Reactions: Memo35
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I need some help, guys.
Today I flashed CWM RC and was able to backup my phone. Just a few minutes ago was on this thread on my phone and clicked on RZR RC and accidentally downloaded the file. Will this do any harm or damage having both recoveries on the phone? I tried deleting the file using Astro but got an error message saying it was not able to delete the files.
I then opened the Quick Boot (Reboot) and clicked on "Bootloader". the phone restarted on its own. What will this do?
Last thing, I opened Quick Boot again and clicked on "Recovery". I'm on the following step and I am not able to get out of that screen. How can i get out w/out having to:
-reboot system now
-apply update from sdcard
-wipe data/factory reset, etc?

I'm typing this from my laptop.
Sorry for the long post.

Upvote 0
I need some help, guys.
Today I flashed CWM RC and was able to backup my phone. Just a few minutes ago was on this thread on my phone and clicked on RZR RC and accidentally downloaded the file. Will this do any harm or damage having both recoveries on the phone? I tried deleting the file using Astro but got an error message saying it was not able to delete the files.
I then opened the Quick Boot (Reboot) and clicked on "Bootloader". the phone restarted on its own. What will this do?
Last thing, I opened Quick Boot again and clicked on "Recovery". I'm on the following step and I am not able to get out of that screen. How can i get out w/out having to:
-reboot system now
-apply update from sdcard
-wipe data/factory reset, etc?

I'm typing this from my laptop.
Sorry for the long post.

It won't harm anything because for one you can't install it from the phone and 2 if you did install it, from your pc, it'd just over write CWR.

Reactions: Memo35
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones