a NON ad-hoc wifi tether

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Last Updated:

1. mikejaret

mikejaret Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Folks

Is there anyway to force Barnacle or Wifi-Tether to not utilize ad-hoc for its network sharing ability? The 3G mobile hotspot app does not create an ad-hoc network and I have a system that I use on the road for business that will NOT connect to ad-hoc networks and there is no forseen capability for this system to connect to an ad-hoc network.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. mikejaret

mikejaret Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

3. VIO

VIO Well-Known Member

yeah I'm pretty sure Non ad-hoc requires a wifi transmitter...Wait doesn't the Dx have one of those?

maybe it's just that no one has written a free tether to take advantage of it yet? Or maybe is requires kernel tweaking, which is still a no go?

4. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

The Droid X has a wifi chip that will transmit, hence the "hotspot" feature that's been advertised. And since it's advertised, it's built into the kernel so it shouldn't take much to activate it with root.

I don't have my DX yet but was going to paw through the market apps to find out if one of them activated the hotspot after root.

5. VIO

VIO Well-Known Member

that was my assumption as well. I guess the real issue is taht no one has written an app to mimic the version/moto hotspot app.

Maybe the released kernel code will give any idea how to turn it on/use it?

I wonder if someone is building this...

6. variableprollc

variableprollc New Member

yes yes build away :)

7. trentpreston

trentpreston New Member

If you go to google and type in android wifi tether it will bring you to the site to download wifi apk. Download the latest verison and install on your phone. After installing open the apk then click menu then setting. Click on change device profile and chose your phone. Next go to change set-up method and chose netd(master). Then close out the setting and start the wifi. This will create a mobile access point that is not an adhoc and you will be able to connect your tabs to the phone.

8. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

Way to bring an old post back from the grave!

9. will_76

will_76 Member

so out of those downloads should I use the Beta versions listed first or the lower version that lists motorola?

10. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

Sorry to do this, but Androidforums does not condone nor allow any talk of obtaining services that violate your TOS. Please check out the official tethering policy: Verizon's Official Tethering Policy

Kelmar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.