• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A "out of the box" rom?

Hello fellow reverb users, im hear asking you guys if there is any possible way to get ahold of a 100% stock rom for this phone, not stock as in plane ics, but the rom that was shipped with this phone. Ive been around the block a couple times rom wise and i just want my old stock rom back that i got the phone with, i was stupid enough to update to JB, then flashed back to 4.0.4 using the super stock rom which was close to what i was looking for, but no dice (missing touchwiz widgets) i just want to get back to how the phone was when i bought it. Anyone know of a way to do so?

I'm pretty sure it varies from carrier-to-carrier.

I remember I had to do quite a bit of hunting for a stock ROM on my mesmerize. I googled "Samsung Mesmerize U.S. Cellular stock ROM" and crossed my fingers. Play around with all the links you get until you get a result.

EDIT: Found this. I don't know if that's what you need. Link

It would sound like it, sadly the thread seams to be dead..and link broken. saw this thread a day or so ago and got happy..then upset lol

Upvote 0
Without devoting hours of my time to finding a ROM for you, I have but one suggestion. If you've got someone who's willing to let you borrow one of these phones with the stock ROM still intact, perform a back up of their data and do a factory reset. From there try and find a way to backup the entire ROM, and I believe I read that Titanium Backup will do that. (Don't hold me to that, though, might want to do a bit of your own research.) Then restore their data and flash the ROM backup to your phone. That's all I got. There's probably a less complicated way to do that.

Upvote 0
As far as an "O.O.T.B." rom, this is as close to factory as I know of;

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5kyUQzVo7YDT05mYmd2VEwyN2s&usp=sharing

Download all the files INDIVIDUALLY. Move all the files one by one from the download destination to a new folder. Once you have the files all in this new folder, make the attempt to open the nandroid folder. Use notepad to open it when windows asks. Once it's open, delete all the characters in the panel; close out the panel (answer yes to "do you want to save changes..."). Rename this folder whatever you like, BUT IT MUST NOT HAVE ANY SPACES IN THE NAME!!! (Eg. stockICS4.0.4). Plug your phone into the PC, let it recognize the phone, and copy this folder to where you have your CWM files...whether it's on the phone or the ext. sd card(here I'm assuming you have cwm test8, v6.0.2.3, already on your phone):

clockwork/backup...put the new named file in there...as a WHOLE, NOT INDIVIDUAL FILES!

Reboot into recovery, select backup/restore...(restore from ext. sd, if that's where you put it), flash the "new" file, and voila! Bone stock 4.0.4 rom! This is how I did my phone to get stock back, so I know it works. Be warned, though...when you do this, you WILL get the annoying update pushes asked upon you again. There's threads in here on how people have stopped these.

All thanks needs to go to tyler1998 for supplying the image and upload of it.

If you want to go even further, you can use Odin to flash the stock recovery. The link for that is here:

http://androidforums.com/reverb-all-things-root/730331-recovery-support-mirrors-dead-links.html

Thanks to sanjuro77 for the posting of those links.

Hope this helps!

Peace,
Sox

Edit: It would appear that my response/description/tutorial MAY have been a little incomplete, and for that I sincerely apologize. Following tyler1998's link at the start of the post is a FAR BETTER choice for this situation.

Upvote 0

Download all the files INDIVIDUALLY. Move all the files one by one from the download destination to a new folder. Once you have the files all in this new folder, make the attempt to open the nandroid folder. Use notepad to open it when windows asks. Once it's open, delete all the characters in the panel; close out the panel (answer yes to "do you want to save changes..."). Rename this folder whatever you like, BUT IT MUST NOT HAVE ANY SPACES IN THE NAME!!! (Eg. stockICS4.0.4). Plug your phone into the PC, let it recognize the phone, and copy this folder to where you have your CWM files...whether it's on the phone or the ext. sd card(here I'm assuming you have cwm test8, v6.0.2.3, already on your phone):

clockwork/backup...put the new named file in there...as a WHOLE, NOT INDIVIDUAL FILES!

Reboot into recovery, select backup/restore...(restore from ext. sd, if that's where you put it), flash the "new" file, and voila! Bone stock 4.0.4 rom! This is how I did my phone to get stock back, so I know it works. Be warned, though...when you do this, you WILL get the annoying update pushes asked upon you again. There's threads in here on how people have stopped these.

If you want to go even further, you can use Odin to flash the stock recovery. The link for that is here:

http://androidforums.com/reverb-all-things-root/730331-recovery-support-mirrors-dead-links.html

Hope this helps!

Peace,
Sox

Edit: It would appear that my response/description/tutorial MAY have been a little incomplete, and for that I sincerely apologize. Following tyler1998's link at the start of the post is a FAR BETTER choice for this situation.

Thanks! ill sure to give this a try, but one quick question before i flash this, will this set up give the touch wiz interface and all its widgets? Cause thats what im going for. Im trying to get the phone in a state to where you would buy it from the store and turn it on. The rom i currently have is basiclly stock ics, but im trying to get the Stock phone with touch wiz and all that.

Upvote 0
To answer your questions this rom comes with touch wiz but its not the newest interface for jelly bean 4.1.2. Also the stock 4.1.2 rom is not official or anything close to what you would buy in the store. Technically this rom has been resigned and remodified for whatever reasons but I can tell you its not actually official. For example it shows up generic android since theres a .txt file in the system folder which makes it show as it. on a side note it wont even pass signature verification in stock recovery even if its resigned by you to update.zip all in lower case letters. Someone here has the official verison best of luck in trying to find it. I no longer have this phone anymore< I wish I did cause id post it for you if I had it. wish you luck in your quest.

Upvote 0
Yes, It's the TW interface;in all it's Samsung glory!

You Sir are a Genius, this method worked Swimmingly. I am now running the factory build 4.0.4 that came with the phone! Your instructions where spot on, the only issue i ran into was after the flashing process was finished and i went to reboot the phone it asked if i wanted to disable the recovery due the the rom possibly flashing its own, it pressed 'no' and i guess thats why i lost root on the phone but that can be fix in no time. I really do feel this should be on the All things root thread for those who would love to return back to the factory rom and then can just have root access on top of that.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You Sir are a Genius, this method worked Swimmingly. I am now running the factory build 4.0.4 that came with the phone! Your instructions where spot on, the only issue i ran into was after the flashing process was finished and i went to reboot the phone it asked if i wanted to disable the recovery due the the rom possibly flashing its own, it pressed 'no' and i guess thats why i lost root on the phone but that can be fix in no time. I really do feel this should be on the All things root thread for those who would love to return back to the factory rom and then can just have root access on top of that.

While I DO and appreciate the accolades, and am glad that it worked as easily as it did I cannot accept credit for the work; THAT needs to be given to tyler1998...my post to you was merely a quote on his work (I'm an absolute NOOB at this stuff!) So be sure to look this thread up and give him a thanks click! :thumbup:

http://androidforums.com/reverb-all-things-root/721880-im-making-stock-jellybean-backup.html

Upvote 0
While I DO and appreciate the accolades, and am glad that it worked as easily as it did I cannot accept credit for the work; THAT needs to be given to tyler1998...my post to you was merely a quote on his work (I'm an absolute NOOB at this stuff!) So be sure to look this thread up and give him a thanks click! :thumbup:

http://androidforums.com/reverb-all-things-root/721880-im-making-stock-jellybean-backup.html

Oh dont worry, i gave him the props hes deserves. Simply put, if he didnt upload those files and make that guide, i would be screwed. but thankfully you did bring the thread to my attention ( the name of the thread threw me off thinking it was a stock jb rom which is what i was trying to get away from lol :D)

Upvote 0
Thanks soxtober05 and tyler1998, this worked flawlessly to bring me back to a proper 4.0.4 with the complete MB3 update. The phone immediately downloaded the JB 4.1.2 update, had to reflash stock recovery and then it installed JB and now I'm running with OTA JB. Seems to be working fine so far. The jury will be out on the GPS problems I was having before with the other JB roms, but it seems to have picked up GPS a lot quicker now and inside the house. We'll see.

Update:
GPS appears to be working as normal, went on a long ride with Google Tracks keeping a track of my ride and gps never dropped once and picked up immediately when it was started. That's good.

Random Unresponsive touchscreen, this happened at my lock screen as is used to before. I have disabled my lockscreen for now and will see if it happens again. That's all that it took before so we'll see.

So far so good.

Update 2:

Unresponsive touchscreen still an issue with lockscreen off, trying another lockscreen app and disabled a couple things.

The key here though is the availability of this nandroid backup of a proper rom. I was able to update to JB via normal OTA process with stock recovery and can use KIES as well. Both things I was not able to do with the various other roms available out there. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Hope this helps!

Peace,
Sox

When you say delete all the characters do you mean everything in it, or specific ones
Thanks

Upvote 0
I'm about to follow this procedure myself and, it seems, for the same reason. I've tried multiple JB roms out there and my GPS has never worked with JB. I have tried installing updates, turning GPS off and on, rebooting, etc, but it never works.

So, now I'm going to try to revert back to stock, install the update over the air, and see if GPS still works.

Update: I finally have GPS working on JellyBean!!! I just had to revert to stock and update over the air. Now I'm rooted again and restoring apps and settings via Titanium Backup. Thank you!

Thanks soxtober05 and tyler1998, this worked flawlessly to bring me back to a proper 4.0.4 with the complete MB3 update. The phone immediately downloaded the JB 4.1.2 update, had to reflash stock recovery and then it installed JB and now I'm running with OTA JB. Seems to be working fine so far. The jury will be out on the GPS problems I was having before with the other JB roms, but it seems to have picked up GPS a lot quicker now and inside the house. We'll see.

Update:
GPS appears to be working as normal, went on a long ride with Google Tracks keeping a track of my ride and gps never dropped once and picked up immediately when it was started. That's good.

Random Unresponsive touchscreen, this happened at my lock screen as is used to before. I have disabled my lockscreen for now and will see if it happens again. That's all that it took before so we'll see.

So far so good.

Update 2:

Unresponsive touchscreen still an issue with lockscreen off, trying another lockscreen app and disabled a couple things.

The key here though is the availability of this nandroid backup of a proper rom. I was able to update to JB via normal OTA process with stock recovery and can use KIES as well. Both things I was not able to do with the various other roms available out there. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones