• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A paid call blocker app works without data plan?

android001

Jun 18, 2011
Hi, I am using this android app called "call blocker" for my T-mobile Comet. I paid for it but I don't have a data plan. I can't afford a data plan at the moment. Since it is a paid version, it tries to confirm my purchase by connecting with its website or something. Anyway, I can only use its paid version if it can connect and confirm my purchase. So I end up using only the lite version (free version) even when I paid for it, because I can't afford a data plan.

So, can someone recommend a good call blocker app which its paid version doesn't require a data plan? Actually, can I ask for a refund if I encounter this kind of app in the future? Thanks.

I just remember why I chose "call blocker" paid version in the first place. There are few call block app that can distinguish between a "private" number and an "anonymous" number. Most call block app I tried just block theses two groups altogether. Some of my friends call from their offices and that's private number. I don't want to block those. I only want to block anonymous numbers.

Hi, I am using this android app called "call blocker" for my T-mobile Comet. I paid for it but I don't have a data plan. I can't afford a data plan at the moment. Since it is a paid version, it tries to confirm my purchase by connecting with its website or something. Anyway, I can only use its paid version if it can connect and confirm my purchase. So I end up using only the lite version (free version) even when I paid for it, because I can't afford a data plan.

Can't you connect via WiFi? Presumably this is only something that has to be done once, to confirm the purchase and activate the app.

Upvote 0
Can't you connect via WiFi? Presumably this is only something that has to be done once, to confirm the purchase and activate the app.
Every time when I turn off then turn on the cell phone, it has to be able to connect and confirm the purchase. I wish it was only one-time thing. I don't know how often you guys turn off and on your cell phone, but I have to do this.... urr, a little more than once in a while. This is an old phone. It needs reboot. Besides, it's not that convenient for me to get to a free wifi place, especially when I need to do this more than once in a while.

Does anyone know if I can ask for a refund in the future if I encounter a situation like this again?

I just remember why I chose "call blocker" paid version in the first place. There are few call block app that can distinguish between a "private" number and an "anonymous" number. Most call block app I tried just block theses two groups altogether. Some of my friends call from their offices and that's private number. I don't want to block those. I only want to block anonymous numbers.

Upvote 0
Every time when I turn off then turn on the cell phone, it has to be able to connect and confirm the purchase. I wish it was only one-time thing. I don't know how often you guys turn off and on your cell phone, but I have to do this.... urr, a little more than once in a while. This is an old phone. It needs reboot. Besides, it's not that convenient for me to get to a free wifi place, especially when I need to do this more than once in a while.

That's a bit crap on the part of the devs isn't it? You have to re-activate and confirm purchase every time you turn your phone on. Not satisfactory at all. I'd contact the devs about that, see what they have to say about it.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
That's a bit crap on the part of the devs isn't it? You have to re-activate and confirm purchase every time you turn your phone on. Not satisfactory at all. I'd contact the devs about that, see what they have to say about it.
Yes, it's terrible. But like I mentioned, this is the only app I know that can just block anonymous calls but not private and anonymous calls together.

Upvote 0
Yes, it's terrible. But like I mentioned, this is the only app I know that can just block anonymous calls but not private and anonymous calls together.

I'd definitely suggest that you contact the devs. Because nearly always when you confirm a purchase and activate any software into full mode it should stay that way, including when you reboot the OS.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
If the phone is rooted, you can't do better than Root Call Blocker Pro, which you'll certainly want to purchase after trying Root Call Blocker Trial. The developer is very reponsive as well.

Logging, calls, SMS and MMS texts are all configurable as are blocking methods, but from your description you'd probably want to block everything except a defined whitelist ... easily accomplished, as you can add numbers from your list of contacts. You can even add to the whitelist from the blocked log if you discover a blocked number you later want to allow.

This was the first paid app I installed on my new Nexus 4 phone last December, and I've never regretted it.

Upvote 0
Try the free version of Blacklist. It doesn't require data and can be set up to only allow calls from numbers in your contact list to get through.

Free in the Play Store.
Can I ask exactly what free Blacklist you are referring to? 90% of the call blocking apps have the word Blacklist in the title and most of them are free. I too am looking for a call blocking app that doesn't require that I turn my mobile data on and no Wi-Fi available at home. Thanks.
C

Upvote 0
Old thread but something that got updated on my phone recently, social blacklisting and marking of undesirable incoming numbers, maybe because it's telesales, phishing, etc.
social.jpg

This is an Oppo and the service only works in China. But there maybe an app that does something similar on Play. But this definitely would use a data plan, because it's social.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Set up a silent ringtone and use that for unwanted calls. I did that on older phones.

The Vulcan has a TMO Alcatel flip that has blocking. It also uses wifi and TMO data. He has data turned off, but TMO did include 300mb free data with plans. It is not an Android.

Some apps do need to verify that you are a legit user. I have a few, but they store the verification info on the phone. The apps can or need to be used where there is no phone connection or wifi. Your app dev must be particularly paranoid.

Reactions: baj01 and mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones