A Perfect Physical Keyboard

1. xmetl

xmetl Well-Known Member

hey everyone, there are not many android phone with good keyboards so i did a bit of research on other keyboards and i think i may have come up with the best designed keyboard layout for an Android phone ever, i drew both of these designs with ms Paint and i want to know what you guys think. also if you have a better idea or something that should be changed post something :)

http://s992.photobucket.com/albums/af49/xmetl/?action=view&current=xmetlkeyboard1.png

http://s992.photobucket.com/albums/af49/xmetl/?action=view&current=xmetlkeyboard2.png

Advertisement
    :
  2. xmetl

xmetl Well-Known Member

3. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member

Whats the point of the control key?

Also, no voice input key, menu key, or search key.
  4. Dr. Shady PhD

Dr. Shady PhD Well-Known Member

I dont want to kill nobody!
  5. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

I assume for shortcuts. My old Nokia Symbian phone used the standard edit shortcuts (like ctrl + c). I'm not sure if Android utilizes those though.

But yes, it does need at least a menu key at the bare minimum.
  6. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

IMO the "perfect" keyboard is more about feel than just the placement of the keys.
  7. Jay-Eff

Jay-Eff Well-Known Member

humm I am looking at my keyboard on my Lg eve and don't really see any difference with the pictures.

I guess my keyboard is near perfection. Too bad the rest of the phone is far from that.
  8. xmetl

xmetl Well-Known Member

i dont see a purpose in having a search or menu key, you may as well just use the buttons below the screen, not having search menu and home key saves up a lot of room
  9. xmetl

xmetl Well-Known Member

for shortcuts to make it easier to copy and paste and more, (ex. ctrl-c is copy) i have not seen any Android phone with a feature like this but it is never to late to add it, in gingerbread or something later, it would be helpful
  10. opticalshadow

opticalshadow Well-Known Member

idk, the buttons look small and i personally hate buttons with multiple characters on them. and while its possible to add the ctrl+cmd to do short cuts, since its not nativly supported to my knowing wouldnt it be easier to find a whole better solution?

also are these desgins for just full keyboards? if they are ment as touchscreen they look way to cramped, and i always felt full keyboards were to cramped.
  11. xmetl

xmetl Well-Known Member

the title says "Physical" keyboards so idk you figure it out
  12. asb123

asb123 Well-Known Member

lol, the very first android phone, the htc dream/g1 is the only android to have a perfect keyboard, 5 rows, dedicated number row, well spaced, 2 shift and alt keys, ect...

hopefully the htc vision will be the first real successor to the dream.