• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A phone that is able to install Froyo/Flash right NOW

allmandring

Lurker
Jul 10, 2010
I am due to finish my college thesis in a little more than a month and am coming up to the practical/development side of it.

Its about GUIs/adaptive-interfaces, etc. and is supposed to for example demonstrate a Flash-based interface that adapts the same date for different devices - in this case a normal browser-based PC and an Android browser.

This is why I need to get a Flash-enabled Android phone to demo this on.

At the beginning I was thinking about Nexus One - but since I'll be spending 400-500 Euro for a device, it got me thinking that I might as well get something newer/faster for the money - that would "last" longer. I would go for the EVO but I'm in Europe/Germany and its not available there - so I was thinking about either HTC Desire or Samsung Galaxy S.

However the problem with both of those is that officially they don't support Froyo/Flash yet - I know that they are bot supposed to get it soon, but I need Flash support NOW to demo my thesis project.

So what would you recommend? I'm new to Android (and the terminology - so please bare with me), but was thinking that maybe someone knowledgeable could answer if I could possibly root(?) Desire or Galaxy and install (a custom rom) Froyo? on them (is even a custom hacked rom available for either of them? is everything working ok?) just to demo my thesis - and then alternatively come back to their original rom after the thesis to wait for the official update like the average joe.

Or is this all not worth it and I should just get a Nexus One?

I was also reading an article a while back that the latest android flash 10.1 release has also been hacked to work on Android 2.1 ... could anyone confirm this? If so, I could live with Galaxy/Desire on 2.1 with flash 10.1 support only... but does the hacked plugin work ok? and performance issues or other things that Froyo does better?

Please help and thank you!

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I need to demo everything on a phone - part of the gui design is also how for example multitouch gestures change our interaction with the mobile devices - so I need to show that. You could simulate everything with a mouse, but still not the same thing...

Of course Nexus One is not "an old crappy phone", its just that all of these phones cost about the same and if I could have a phone that just came out with a few extra features for the same price... without the contract Nexus One is about 450, HTC Desire 400 and Galaxy S is 420 Euro.

Upon further research Desire and Nexus one do seem to be almost the same phone - as far as I can tell there are small differences only in video capture, etc... but this could be a software/firmware issue as well..

I was leaning towards Samsung Galaxy S - a faster processor, Super AMOLED, more memory, a better camera and a larger battery - do make its hardware more attractive. But unfortunately not sure about Flash support on it - where would be a best place to look for custom roms for the Galaxy?

Also - anybody running a hacked 10.1 flash player on Android 2.1?

Upvote 0
Flash player on 2.1 is a no: Eclair doesn't have the framework/library for it. You can get Flash Lite in Sense ROMs, but from my experience it's pretty terrible. Like, really, really terrible.

You can head over to xda-developers for Galaxy S custom ROMs but, right now, I see just one and it's the shipped ROM with Modaco modifications. That's it. Don't expect 2.2 ports, Sense ports or anything--Samsung isn't into releasing their kernels, so hacking/modding is going to be extremely limited.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones