A phone worthy of replacing Droid?

Last Updated:

1. Uber Schwarz

Uber Schwarz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've had a Moto Droid since around the first or second week of its release. I have my phone rooted and I'm running BuglessBeast V0.5. At the end of November I can renew my contract early and I'll get a new Android based phone. Are there any phones worthy of replacing the Motorola Droid? There's no denying that the Droid had/has the biggest community and developer base but what is the next Droid phone that will be the biggest hit with the community and developers? That's the phone I want to get. Any recommendations?

Advertisement
  2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

The Fascinate seems pretty nice but I'm holding out for the Droid Pro or maybe yet the NEXT version of Droid (of course I'm still 8 months away from my early upgrade). I guess it all depends on what you want to do with it.

3. lilbballer27

lilbballer27 Well-Known Member

I would wait until verizon announces LTE/4G and get a 4G capable droid.

4. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

If you want a phone that is open with a big development community and custom ROMS probably the fascinate is the best option.

I replaced my Droid with the Droid X and am extremely happy. We have a good development community tons of themes, root ability. Those are really the only phones on Verizon worth considering now. I love my X but am looking forward to a more open LTE phone next summer.

5. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Nothing at VZW is worth the trouble right now. As the others said, wait for the LTE enabled phone. You'll likely pay a premium in service, but you'll have fast data and a cutting-edge phone. I'm just hoping that VZW will release a vanilla Android phone either on the anniversary of the D1 or the introduction of LTE. Please, VZW, please!

bucki likes this.
  6. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

I'd make the same recommendation. Other than that, look into the modding community for the device(s) your considering and avoid locked bootloaders as a rule of thumb.

7. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Well-Known Member

I think we'll be waiting a long time for VZW to release another device with stock Android.

I'm quite encouraged by T-Mobile's release of the HTC G2 with stock Android.

8. Vance

Vance Well-Known Member

9. Rollo_Tomasi

Rollo_Tomasi Active Member

djkeller3 likes this.
  10. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Well-Known Member

11. Vance

Vance Well-Known Member

I would not be too worried about that. I can just add all the Google I want and ignore the Bing, or use both. That would be a small price to pay for a real keyboard and the new Sense (in the absence of a decent stock Android QWERTY phone out there).

12. paidnfull

paidnfull New Member

Preach!!! Esp the part about the VZW infection lol

13. Vance

Vance Well-Known Member

Other than having Bing be the default search (which seems pretty easy to work around), what are the other "infections" that will come with it? My wife has a Dinc with Sense and it seems fine.

14. djkeller3

djkeller3 Well-Known Member