A question for somebody familiar with Sprint's return policies...

Last Updated:

1. Katoejoe

Katoejoe New Member This Topic's Starter

Alright, hi everybody! I've decided it high time to de-lurk myself so that I could ask this question here. I've used search and haven't found anything pertaining to my specific question, so here goes...well actually, before I ask my question, I really should explain myself first. I'm currently on AT&T with an iPhone 3GS, but I plan on switching to an EVO when it's released this summer. For the purposes of this post, I'll just assume it's going to be released at Best Buy on the rumored June 6th date. Now, speaking of Best Buy, they have a trade in program, and my iPhone just so happens to be worth over $200, and that should cover the cost of an EVO. The only problem with this however, is that for items not purchased at Best Buy stores, you have to send Best Buy the item, and then wait 14 days to receive compensation in the form of a gift card. I really can't go 14 days without a phone. So what I was thinking of doing was this:

After getting a confirmed release date for the EVO, I would send my iPhone off to Best Buy about two and a half weeks before that date. At which point, I would go to Best Buy, get a Hero or something and then return it when the EVO's released. My question is, can I even do that? I believe Sprint lets you cancel service within the first 30 days, but can I cancel it only to go right back to it? I ask this because I really want to qualify for subsidized EVO pricing, and would like to pay for the EVO with the Best Buy gift card I'd recieve for my iPhone, but I would need a phone while waiting for the EVO. Would Sprint allow this, or is my plan just completely impossible?

(For the record, I'm sorry if my thoughts come out a little jumbled and maybe hard to understand. It's been a long day, and I just got this idea so my thoughts are kind of all over the place. I know that you all are a smart community though, so I'm betting you can get past my poor wording of things and help me out!)

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

You should be able to just CHANGE the phone as long as it's within the first 30 days.

A possibly BETTER alternative would be to sell your iphone on craigslist (I sold my 2G for 450 bucks to someone who wanted to use it on tmobile a few years back) and use a cheap crap phone on ATT until you get the Evo.

Katoejoe likes this.
  3. Katoejoe

Katoejoe New Member This Topic's Starter

Changing it would be the best, as long as they'd let me pay for the EVO fully with the gift card so I could get my money back from the Hero. Craigslisting isn't really an option though to be honest, since I stupidly updated my phone to the latest firmware and now it can't be unlocked. If anybody could elaborate on the process of changing my phone (and maybe confirm some of my questions on the finer details of it) that would be great.