A question for the uber technical

Last Updated:

1. sghere

sghere Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

After reading that 2.1 is "supposed" to drop this week, I have a rooted droid running Beast 7.4 which has the OTA disabled.

Is there a way to get the phone back to being able to receive the update without wiping all my text/e-mail/call logs/pics?

I'm guessing it would require moving to a different ROM or just back to the original 2.0.1 update...but I'm not clear how to do it.

If anyone can post a link or explain it in non-linux lingo, I would greatly appreciate it! :D

I just don't want to have to revert back to the original 2.0.1 and lose everything...don't care about the apps because I can just re-install those.

Thanks!
    S

Advertisement
  2. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

3. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Isn't that going to wipe his data though?

4. Fadelight

Probably. He is on a custom ROM, so I'm not sure if he could keep his existing data or not if he updated.

My advice - Just be patient and wait for a cooked ROM that is built on 2.1.

5. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I agree. To the OP: I think there are a few programs that will allow you to make a backup of your SMS/MMS/Call Logs and restore them. You could check into that. Pics/Videos/Music is easy, just copy them to your computer from the SD card.

6. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

A few questions. What is your current ROM? What data are you most concerned about? Do you currently have SPRecovery installed?

7. bills534

bills534 Well-Known Member

i just did this all today, and this is my experience. tried sholes and bugless beauty without even thinking of my text\pics etc... none of my pictures or text were lost for either of them. used smupdater to go back to stock un-rooted, all my pictures, text, and various settings are just they were. the only thing you lose is the icons you placed on the desktop, all the setting within the programs remain the same.

8. sghere

I'm running Bugless Beast 7.4 Rom v2.0.1. I'm not wanting to lose any of the texts/e-mail or call log. I have moved the pics/movies/music off the phone already.

I have several backups made from previous versions, but it reverts to what they were at the time of the backup...this is what I'm trying to avoid.

Thanks for all the replies!

Shayne

9. tsaunders

tsaunders Well-Known Member

That is harsh.

Maybe they have donated to them or given them something else.

10. Fadelight

I don't understand your post. What is harsh about that? Sholes has chosen to offer it both ways... direct download from their site for free, or $5.00 in Market. I don't consider anything about my post to be harsh, since it is nearly identical to the way they worded it on their own site.

11. tsaunders

tsaunders Well-Known Member

12. sghere

Well...this is a moot point now. I was #$*&^'ing around in Rom mode, and overwrote my phone with a backup from 2 weeks ago with no current backup.

SOOO..I'll just wipe it clean and wait for 2.1 to drop with stock 2.0.1.

Guess I learned that it's not a good idea to play around with the phone at 2am after 4-5 beers. :(

Thanks for all the help!

S