A quick but important question.Support

Last Updated:

1. cfrock

cfrock Active Member This Topic's Starter

First, I did search.
    I'm really considering the Moment but have not had any luck finding 'regular' user (not engadnet, phonedog, etc.) comments on phone reception. How is it? I stopped by the Sprint store a couple of times to get hands on time with the moment and noticed the signal bars were significantly lower than on other phones in the store. I know the bars representation is not exact (esp. on cdma) but jut wanted some real world feedback. Also, I know the speaker phone is loud according to a few reviews but how is ear piece volume? I've had issues with this on Sammy's in the past.

Advertisement
  2. hed1117

hed1117 New Member

Just picked up my Moment this evening (Mon.). Traded in my Hero for better phone usability. I love/need/want a good speakerphone (like my Sanyo MM-9000 of yesteryear). The Hero was not very loud but it was clear. Moment is loud and very tinny sounding - not great...but loud(er).

3. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

My reception is great. Sometimes it looks questionable, but right as I am making or receiving a call it seems to lock in all bars.

4. chibucks

chibucks Well-Known Member

1) haven't noticed any differences in reception / coverage areas between the moment and my previous phone.

2) i haven't had any issues with ear piece volume - i've had to turn it down a little bit (bluetooth) - which is a welcome change than having to turn it to the max.

3) speaker - is alright... a little weird that the speaker is at the back of the phone, but it's been pretty clear for me.

5. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

This is actually the same as in Hero, I found it strange as well. Though I find the placement of the Moments speaker intuitive as it gives a slight edge to the bottom giving you a spot to press against to open the phone and to remove the battery cover.

Also the speaker quality is about the same, when watching Youtube videos the sounds is really good on both, with friends comment on both about how clear the sound is. However video is a different story, which we won't go into here.

6. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

I also found the placement to be strange. When watching video, the sound is being broadcasted away from me, so I have to cup my hands behind/under the phone to be able to hear it better. However, I also like the edge on the bottom that prevents the speaker from being muted/muffled by laying flush on a flat surface. I guess I should wear headphones when watching video.

7. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

I have just as good if not better reception than I did with my last phone and my fiance's exclaim reads less bars at home than this phone though we still drop calls in the basement and kitchen? The speaker phone is a bit odd placed. I liked the instinct for that as it was part of the ear piece but I use headphones for music and video if no tin the car so that isn't a big issue for me. Hope this helps!

8. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

Best phone I have ever used.

9. souljah335

souljah335 Well-Known Member

10. Grandmasterlarry

Grandmasterlarry Active Member

If i am outside my reception is grate but as soon as i go inside somewhere i get one bar. This is probaly the thing i hate the most about this phone becides the horrable battery life. I also like how ill have one bar on EVDO and then ill decied i want to use my phone (send a text or go on the web) and then i magicly dont have any service it wont send the message or go on the web... WTF...

11. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

You are the first person I have heard of having this problem, is your house lined with lead?

And you should check out the battery thread for tips on getting your battery to last longer.

Click --->http://androidforums.com/samsung-moment/13783-possible-battery-quirk.html

12. Grandmasterlarry

Grandmasterlarry Active Member

Yeah i did that disabled weather, brightness is all the way down, GPS is off... And im in an apartment sitting right by a window... 1-2 bars by the window move 10 feet away and nothing... the building is all wood and alum siding so... Im actuly debating taking the phone back for that and some other corks... Its to bad i lost my SERO for this phone... dont get me wrong its a grate phone and i love it but it lacks in alot of areas.

Has anyone had the problem of getting a message you go to check it and it dissapears? the message will show up in the notification but i find if i left the message app up when i turn the screen on the message just dissapears...

Complaints

Screen dosnt light on message, no message indicator, keyboard is weird but im used to it now, Very poor battery life, some times the keyboard dosnt light when opened so i have to close and re-open it, you cant change very many settings (coming from WM where you can change anything), cant install to SD card, No Flash support, I hate having to turn the phone on and unlock it by hitting menu every time, I hate how to do anything it takes atleast 4 button presses, and GPS is garbage. thats all i can remember right now...

13. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

Hmm..

The only messages that appear and disappear are the ones Handcent or other 3rd party SMS send you when you get a visual voicemail... that I know of.

I prefer my screen not to light up for messages *edit* just messed with handcent some, my screen now lights up when messages come in.

Using Handcent you can get the front indicators (home, menu, back) to light up as if indicators, when a message comes in.

I love the keyboard, very high quality

I have great battery life, I've had the battery last till 89 hours, as documented in the Battery Quirk Thread

to get the keyboard to light back up just swipe your finger over the optical pad

I find the options adequate for changing settings... mostly the same as any Android Phone

No Android phone can save to SD without downloading an app from the market

Flash support is coming

you can disable the Lock screen

Don't know what to tell you about the 4 buttons thing... thats a person thing, not the phones fault.

I use GPS daily no problems.

Perhaps this just isn't the phone for you? Or perhaps Android OS isn't for you?

14. hempwallace

hempwallace Well-Known Member

The speakers are being placed on the back for a reason. Play a song using the speaker while holding the phone; notice how hollow and tinny it sounds? Now lay the phone down on a table while playing the song. Notice the difference? Base and midrange tones are much improved as the table top is being used as a reflector.