• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A really odd 'bricked' GT 15500

dickyboos

Lurker
Apr 29, 2011
Help!!!!
I need some serious assistance.
I've had my phone for a couple of years now, and I've grown quite attached to it. Yes I know there are far better handsets out there. Well, about a week ago I downloaded "BOOT ANIMATIONS FOR ANDROID" 'cos I'd got kinda bored with the standard Froyo bootscreen. The phone was rooted, and I'd had no problems up to press.
So when I restarted the device, it went into a kind of boot loop with the new animation, and would take up to 30-40 minutes to boot up with the animation running normally, then slowing right down and almost stopping, speeding up again, the screen going blank and 'buzzing' once or twice, then the animation would appear again and go into another cycle of animations. Eventually the phone would come to life and almost act normally. The power button would only work if the phone was in this 'normal' mode. On certain occasions the phone would freeze, so, battery out, reboot, half an hour of boot loops, and back to square one. I did notice that after removing the memory card, the boot loops would only last about 15 minutes. Next, I went for a firmware update using the trusty Odin bootloader. I tried 3 different firmware replacements, all different versions of Froyo, the end result being, a phone with a different version of android 2.2, but with all my old apps still on it, Holo launcher as my only home screen (standard home screen had disappeared), and even my old wallpaper present. WTF, I thinks to myself. Unlock screen has disappeared, and the phone still take about 15 mins to boot up, going through its maddening boot-up sequence. The phone works after a fashion, but it won't root, whatever I try, and it often freezes, requiring a reboot, and a 15 or so minute wait. The only thing that I haven't tried yet is a factory reset. Think that will do any good? HELP, Someone!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones