• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A reason to get the Prime: Mame4droid Reloaded

rushmore

Extreme Android User
Nov 13, 2008
Kentucky
Now that we have a full MAME, there is a more compelling reason for old school gamers to get the Prime for its quad SoC. Another positive is the non 1080p display, since easier on the framerates. I think I will get the updated Prime when it ships instead of the 700.

My Thrive with Tegra 2 plays a lot of games, but struggles with quite a few. MAME is very cpu dependent.

Added:

A good game to see if there is any improvement with Tegra 3 would be Soul Caliber. It is slow using Tegra 2. It probably will not be full speed with the Tegra 3, but should see a noticeable improvement.

Reactions: zeacarlos
I tested the app today with a Best Buy demo in performance mode a well. Performance for games was no better than the Razr, Thrive or View.

PC version of Mame has an option to use the extra cores, but not an option with the Android version.

I was hoping the, Tegra 3 would be a lot better and games like DOA and Soul Caliber would be playable. Drats.

Upvote 0
Can the ROMs for the PC M.A.M.E. be used for the droid version?

Yes. They are one and the same. Since Mame Reloaded is now at 139 rom set level, even a lot of roms from newer sets work.

There are two Mame4droids. There is 37b and 139. 37b is the older Mame4all that supports a smaller rom set and Reloaded supports full sets.

Upvote 0
Yes. They are one and the same. Since Mame Reloaded is now at 139 rom set level, even a lot of roms from newer sets work.

There are two Mame4droids. There is 37b and 139. 37b is the older Mame4all that supports a smaller rom set and Reloaded supports full sets.

I have enjoyed countless hours playing MAME on my PC and when I saw there is an android app, oh my goodness I was thrilled like a little boy. So I have an LG Esteem same as Revolution running 1 GHz Snapdragon processor with 512 Mb RAM. Download 37b version as I read it be best for non dual core phones. My question has anybody use the external usb app to for other input controls as I would love to play tron properly.

I <3 my android
Carlos:)

Upvote 0
i have viewpad and no keyboard and the emulated joystick really sucks even though the games look nice, i try pacman and its really hard to master the joystick, would of better to have put a keypad at bottom of screen so looks nice but unplayable, unless i can attach a keyboard to the viewpad which i dought will work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones