• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A rooted Droid, 1 ghz, 2.1 etc VS Incredible

unclsu

Lurker
Mar 23, 2010
md
Ok here is a question, a rooted droid to 1 ghz with 2.1 etc vs N1 or Incredible.

I could pick up 2 driods cheap ($40) or buy the next big thing @ $200 each.

The N1 has many unresolved issues just search the help forums on Google. So to me HTC quality is still questionable, to me...:thinking:

The N1 doesn't have that many issues. The biggest thing is the multi-touch glitch which only happens when your fingers are close to each other. Remember HTC and google released the phone without multi, but so many complaints lead them to make an update. I doubt it would have had problems if they originally released it with multi-touch.

Also, you'd be surprised what my htc touch has endured. I've dropped it onto pavement multiple times and I use the touch screen out in pouring rain around campus and have never had any issues (besides the problems with windows mobile).

Also, I haven't looked into the droid root, but doubling the speed of a processor can't be good for it. It's not meant to take those speeds and heat. I wouldn't be surprised if the cpu's in the phones that people have don't last the 2 years.

Upvote 0
I'd honestly take an eris over a droid. The droid is bulkier and no faster (slower in some cases due to the larger screen). Then there's the overclock reliability question. As i'm aware of, you can't have the sense ui on it either which some people don't want to go without (I personally think android alone is fine).

Upvote 0
Well the thing I'm thinking is not even an issue of faulty phones, etc.

Doesn't a Droid with the modifications you listed basically offer everything the Incredible would (sans camera, but I have a nice camera for taking pictures and 5MP is fine for funny little pictures messages)?

EDIT: Forgot the AMOLED screen.

We need more info on the AMOLED screen on the Incredible to determine if it's a pro or a con at this point. If it's the same as the Nexus, it's a con. If it's a different panel, then it's a pro.

I'd honestly take an eris over a droid. The droid is bulkier and no faster (slower in some cases due to the larger screen). Then there's the overclock reliability question. As i'm aware of, you can't have the sense ui on it either which some people don't want to go without (I personally think android alone is fine).

Yeah, Droid versus Eris is largely a question of personal priority and taste. The Droid has the best screen, but you pay the price for that in size no question.

Overclocking reliability isn't as questionable as it once was. You can have the CPU idle at 250MHz and only go up to 1GHz when you push it. Meaning, the CPU doesn't spend that much time at the top clock speed. Also, clock speed increases don't have as much of an effect on long-term reliability as increasing voltage.

OP - It's about what you want and what you can afford. If you can't justify spending that much on the Incredible when it comes out, then why wait? If you can afford it and it's what you really want, then it's best to wait. Only you know how tight your budget is, and whether or not you could bank the difference in cash between now and the Incredible's release.

Upvote 0
Overclocking reliability isn't as questionable as it once was. You can have the CPU idle at 250MHz and only go up to 1GHz when you push it. Meaning, the CPU doesn't spend that much time at the top clock speed. Also, clock speed increases don't have as much of an effect on long-term reliability as increasing voltage.

Were they able to monitor cpu temps though? What happens if you are playing an emulator, especially if a n64/ps1/psp/ds comes out which would be very cpu intensive.

I guess if you have good phone insurance you could always replace it though, assuming they don't find out you overclocked...

Upvote 0
Were they able to monitor cpu temps though? What happens if you are playing an emulator, especially if a n64/ps1/psp/ds comes out which would be very cpu intensive.

I guess if you have good phone insurance you could always replace it though, assuming they don't find out you overclocked...

Taz's kernel unlocks the on-die temp sensor for the CPU I believe.

You're correct that at-load temperatures are different from idle temperatures regardless of clock speed. This effect increases substantially with multi-core systems (ex: modern computers.)

Just make sure you have a failsafe profile in SetCPU.

Reactions: Flaring Afro
Upvote 0
Yeah, Droid versus Eris is largely a question of personal priority and taste. The Droid has the best screen, but you pay the price for that in size no question.

That's where I'm still torn (Droid vs Eris). I thought the Incredible would solve that problem for me but honestly I don't want to wait anymore. I want a new phone for my birthday & well that today! :)

For someone who has never had a smartphone (coming from an LG Env) will I be sorely disappoited with the Eris over the Droid?

It concerns me that Eris is on 1.5 & Droid is already on 2.0. But then I'm really scared of Motorola products in general (quality issues). Money isn't really the issue as I will gladly pay for a phone I'm going to be happy with. Size isn't that much of an issue either as I can see myself getting used to both.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones