• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A simple music player?

I would appreciate recommendations for a simple music player that can handle both wav and mp3 files. I don't need or want graphics, video capability, shopping links, etc.

All I want to be able to do is copy folders full of songs onto the phone, see a listing in the app, and hit play.

Sort of like the old days when you'd pop a cassette tape into the deck, sit back and listen.

For me the simplest and also a very good player free is meridian music player.Perhaps it is not the best considering free ones (more options into maven,jet music,player dreams,mix zing) but it is a very good one and very simple to use.

I suggest to download also together with meridian an external equalizer,there are many of them.Music volume EQ (kk design developer) is good enough.Or Equalizer (smart android apps is the developer).

Upvote 0
Droid Razr M

No stock player, no stock notes program, no stock voice recorder, way too much pre-loaded, unerasable shopping crap, and not much built-in RAM.

My first android phone, and worst phone I've ever owned.

Wow really? None of those? That's surprising. But Motorola is pretty much nonexistent in my country nowadays so I didn't know that.

Upvote 0
Wow really? None of those?

Nope. I've had an iPhone (which comes with all of the above, and some other useful stuff) for a while and was tired of Apple's choke hold on what you can do with the phone, so I thought I'd go Android. I've been a unix sysadmin for years and expected a lot of freedom in this enviroment.

To say I was disappointed is a serious understatement. But I guess that's the prevailing business model these days. The user's needs and desires are unimportant. We're not customers, we're targets for advertisers.

Upvote 0
Nope. I've had an iPhone (which comes with all of the above, and some other useful stuff) for a while and was tired of Apple's choke hold on what you can do with the phone, so I thought I'd go Android. I've been a unix sysadmin for years and expected a lot of freedom in this enviroment.

I think you have to r00t your phone to get what you're looking for in that regard. Most Android tablets and phones seem to be locked down to some degree or another (among the worst offenders has to be the Nook Tablet, a nice piece of hardware hobbled by a terrible OS).

Upvote 0

Usually you don't have root privileges to most Android devices as they come, so you are actually just a normal restricted user and NOT the privileged *NIX sysadmin.

To say I was disappointed is a serious understatement. But I guess that's the prevailing business model these days. The user's needs and desires are unimportant. We're not customers, we're targets for advertisers.

Go ahead and root your phone, you'll then have all the freedom you like in this environment. :thumb:

Many customers are just buying a phone to be used as a phone, and not as a pocket *NIX computer. They're not sysadmins or geeks. In fact unless they know what they're doing they're far better off without root access IMO, i.e. they can't mess things up. In fact we've had posts along the lines of.... help!! I've delete some file on my rooted Android, and now it doesn't work.

As a UNIX sysadmin, you should probably appreciate the importance of keeping users who don't know what they're doing out of the works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones