• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A special thanks to our Moderators

EarlyMon

The PearlyMon
Jun 10, 2010
New Mexico, USA
OK gang, it's like this:

This forum would be worthless without our moderators.

I've had opportunity to moderate elsewhere - and it's hard.

You have to keep your sense of humor and spirit and yet moderate with the needs and views of ALL posters in mind, not just your own.

So, the job is tough enough already.

And while I personally have been getting away with murder and posting to simply relieve the stress I suffer when reading certain things and cracking myself up in the process - that's no excuse and I apologize for any lines crossed or extra work I've personally caused.

No one contacted me, no one prompted me, no one suggested this post.

I'm doing it because I'm a little embarrassed to see more closed threads in less than a 24 hour period than we should've seen in a month or more.

We can do better, and lurkers new to Evo or considering it deserve better.

So, I call on all of us to take the pledge.

When we see a thread we personally know to be obviously re-donk-u-lous, let's just ignore it and let it die of obscurity rather than give the mods any more work to do.

Someone called for me to be the Sage of this forum - while I doubt that I deserve the title, I think the overall idea I'm expressing here is wise.

I'm only pledging to try - and I'll say right up front - don't expect perfection from me on this, but I'll at least try.

Who's with me?

PS - Whenever I thank a moderator for closing a thread, it's always 100% sincere, because that's work.

PPS - I still think that satirizing Biff Barkley, my fictional HTC/Sprint exec, is fair game tho.

+1 for the idea of ignoring threads. I never understood why people posted to worthless threads that ended up just keeping the threads at the top of the list. Very well written post and thank you.

Note: I do not see this as a worthless post because I believe the OP's message is a worthy message to keep near the top of the list.

Upvote 0
Hmmmm, this coming from the guy who is usually at the top of the list for bucking the "re-donk-u-lous," I would say someone is campaigning for a mod position...imho

ok, maybe not so humble, but imo anyway. :D

You couldn't pay me to do the work they do moderating here, and I darned sure wouldn't do it for free - so, no, not at all.

;)

Upvote 0
porpose.jpg

Now it's a multi-porpose thread

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Op you have just won the I have no idea what your talking about award, congrats....

In such a case, that's to your credit.

Some of us, especially me, have been getting out of joint with our bickering.

Reading the OP's post made me feel awkward.

About the last thing in the world I'd intended was that outcome.

Maybe watching a good movie trailer would get your mind off of that?

Sharktopus Gets Official Trailer. It’s Full Of Awesomeness

Upvote 0
In such a case, that's to your credit.

Some of us, especially me, have been getting out of joint with our bickering.

As much as I agree, it's also a double edged sword. While it may be annoying for someone to do something of a minor annoyance every once in a while, it's far worse when a specific few people have been raging around these boards filling it with nothing but fart dust. You know at least ONE of the people i'm talking about too.

It's one thing to just ignore it... but you can't help but be infuriated at some of these individuals and the nonsensical banter they post on a regular basis. We're humans too, and i'm sorry, but natural reaction would be to vent to the source..... because I can tell you right now, if I were to bitch and moan to my g/f about a certain someone on this board... she'd tell me to gtfo and go make HER a sammich. Can't be having that.

Upvote 0
speaking as a moderator and a admin on more than a few sites my self, i always take these kinds of posts with a huge dose of salt as in my experience there usually only made as a way for the op to try to kiss arse and get him / her self on the fast track to a staff position their selves ( which by the way never quite works out that way ).

as for "When we see a thread we personally know to be obviously re-donk-u-lous, let's just ignore it and let it die of obscurity rather than give the mods any more work to do." erm' thats what there there for and that's what the report button is also there for.

Reactions: SB13X and ramonini
Upvote 0
Okay, but I am pouting. I like being silly sometimes.:(

Silly's still on the table.

Gotta be.

The day they ban silly is the day I stop believing in the Sharktopus.

So - don't hold your breath.

Unless you're underwater. (Without the Sharktopus!)

Or stuck outside an airlock in deep space, battling Thorbala, Chief Assassin of the Leather Goddesses of Phobos.

OH - and just before you swallow a Pan-Galatic Gargle Blaster - yeah, definitely hold your breath for that one.

Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0
speaking as a moderator and a admin on more than a few sites my self, i always take these kinds of posts with a huge dose of salt as in my experience there usually only made as a way for the op to try to kiss arse and get him / her self on the fast track to a staff position their selves ( which by the way never quite works out that way ).

I do not want a staff position here.

I never will.

I expect to never be offered one.

I have stated this above.

And speaking as an admin and moderator on more than few sites my own self over the years, I reject this sort of cynicism out of hand.

I offered only a positive statement of thanks, an apology where due, and a call for others to try as will, to do better.

If I weren't so busy right now fighting off the Sharktopus, I'd feel bad for anyone who can't accept a simple, decent act.

AAHHHH! <BLAM!> <BLAM!BLAM!> <WHACK!> AAAAHHHHH!

(gotta go!)

Upvote 0
I do not want a staff position here.

I never will.

I expect to never be offered one.

I have stated this above.

And speaking as an admin and moderator on more than few sites my own self over the years, I reject this sort of cynicism out of hand.

I offered only a positive statement of thanks, an apology where due, and a call for others to try as will, to do better.

If I weren't so busy right now fighting off the Sharktopus, I'd feel bad for anyone who can't accept a simple, decent act.

AAHHHH! <BLAM!> <BLAM!BLAM!> <WHACK!> AAAAHHHHH!

(gotta go!)

is this person trying to be funny ???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones