• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A Step by Step Guide to getting Amazon Appstore, & Google Play on a Curtis Klu LT7033

Okay so I now have the Google Play app on my tablet but every time I try to open it, it gives an error saying the app has stopped.

It may be because I couldn't get it to load in the ES File Explorer like in step #4 and I installed it using the apk installer already on my tablet.

But I am further along then I was

This is what I did and what I did differently

Since my tablet was acting like it wasn't rooted even though the Amazon app I downloaded as per post #2 I followed the instructions in post #4 (which I had done before) but since the instructions never said to turn the tablet back on it never worked. So my thinking was if my computer recognized it turned on but not turned off I would follow post #4 with my tablet turned on (maybe be obvious to y'all but I felt like a genius, lol)

I did have to manually enter in my tablet id as per post #116 and I did check that I was running a RK29 thing (the non-technical name, hehe). And once the root explorer opened I started my happy dance. I did follow post #120 but I was looking at the wrong permissions, so I'm not sure if it was necessary.

I then followed the rest of post #3 except I ran into issues with the multi button so I just held it down and let the screen pop up and selected copy and did the same for paste (not sure that made any difference).

So I have the Google Play app at this point but it is not opening.

And then I reread this entire thread again and came upon post #115 and that seemed to work.

However, it is taking a very long time, could just be that it's storming and my wifi connection may not be great. I'll check it again tomorrow but I am doing my happy dance again.

Thank y'all so much and it really was a group effort, my many thanks to all of y'all <3

If someone could send me a message on how I can contribute that'd be great

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
You're doing a dance? That's it, I'm setting up a poll immediately!

The RK29 Root Toolkit was provided by SferaDev over at XDA. If you wish to donate to his efforts all you have to do is hit the donate button on one of his postings here...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1967699

mavrikmeercat has been one of the major contributors to this thread, and he also accepts contributions to his efforts. You could send him a Private Mail for info.

The dancing does it for me!:dancing:

Upvote 0
Thanks SuperNoober.

I picked up an LT8036 from HH Gregg today for my kid. The Root-whatever app said it came rooted but it did not have Superuser app nor /bin/su. (It did have /xbin/su and a busybox). I couldn't use any root apps or install it by any other means I knew of till I found this thread.

The root method worked flawlessly and I got google play working (amazon app store came installed). Thanks again!

Upvote 0
I have ran root analyzer and it says that my tablet (LT7035-J running 4.1 Jelly Bean) is rooted.
See red text below

Turn the tablet on,
Open ES File Explorer and press the UP button to get to the root /
I push the UP button and it is just at the /sdcard/ directory, it merely has a popup that says 'Press again to exit'
At the bottom left of the screen there are 3 vertical dots. Press this button.
A menu pops up, press settings.
Select View > Details.
Scroll down to,and select Root settings
check Root Explorer.
A warning will pop up, select yes.
After selecting yes after the warning I get a message that says 'test failed' and then root explorer says it's only for rooted devices. I've tried selecting other boxes under under root settings and it won't allow me to select anything else.
Root analyzer says I'm still rooted, but no go??!!
Help!!!

Another pop up, select Allow
Check mount file system
Another pop up select allow.
Check the two remaining boxes, when all 5 boxes are checked...

Use the back button to get back to the main ES File Explorer screen (you should be at.. / (root) )
Look at the file permissions of the /system/ (folder) they should read rwxr-xr-x if not jump down to post 120 and follow the advice of DEC173000g before proceeding.

Navigate to /sdcard/Download/ )
press the (multi) Select button, select the com.android.vending-4.1.10.apk you downloaded earlier, & press copy
use the up button to get to the root directory. (On this device it looks like a phone with a / )
press the system (folder icon), then press the app (folder icon) (you should be at... /system/app/ )
Press the (multi) Select button, select the com.android.vending-4.1.10.apk & press the paste button.
(Don't be surprised that the com.android.vending-4.1.10.apk seems to disappear, its made up of many smaller files that will be put back together when you reboot.)

Shut down the tablet & reboot it being prepared to answer allow or yes to the pop ups that will be presented by the Super User program.

You should now have Google Play in your list of apps. If so fire it up to make sure that it works.

If Google play does not work, you are required by law to post feedback!;)

Regardless of a working Google play or not there is one more thing you must do...

Open ES File Explorer & click...
(3 vertical dots) > Settings > Root settings
Starting at the bottom uncheck the bottom 3 boxes,
Leave the next box, Up to Root, checked.
and then uncheck the top box.
Back out of ES File Explorer.

Leave Feedback! Please, you may save a thousand people from wading through a procedure that doesn't work.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
At the bottom left of the screen there are 3 vertical dots. Press this button.
A menu pops up, press settings.
Select View > Details.
Scroll down to,and select Root settings
check Root Explorer.
A warning will pop up, select yes.
After selecting yes after the warning I get a message that says 'test failed' and then root explorer says it's only for rooted devices. I've tried selecting other boxes under under root settings and it won't allow me to select anything else.
Root analyzer says I'm still rooted, but no go??!!
Help!!!
Another pop up, :(Here is where I smooched the pooch, it should read... :( :eek:be sure to check the remember box before you:eek: select Allow

This problem was first mentioned by TrueNewb, but she said that she figured it out, so I didn't really concern myself with why it might have happened in the first place. Then I encountered this problem myself, and I must say it had me despairing for the fate of this whole project because rooted or not, if you can't paste the play.apk into the /system/app/ folder it will just fail to run.

I started poking around the Superuser settings and I found this one setting (grayed out so unchangeable) setting the time to allow previously denied programs to 0 sec.

I think what caused the problem is where I said to...
Check root explorer.
A warning will pop up, select yes
Another pop up, (and this is where the problem is) This pop up also has a remember check box, you must check remember before you select allow.

So here's what I did...

I used ApkInstaller to uninstall ES File Explorer and then the Superuser app. Instead of uninstalling the Superuser app it said that it would roll back the Superuser app to the factory installed version. I then went to Google play and updated the Superuser app. Next I downloaded a fresh copy of ES File Explorer.

When I went through the root explorer routine this time I made sure to check remember before selecting allow. Now everything is back to normal. (Whew!!!)

In hindsight I think I may have gone overboard. I believe all you will really need to do is use the ApkInstaller to roll back to the factory version of the Superuser app, & then go through the root explorer routine again, doing it right this time. Try this first, and if it doesn't work then you will need to update the Superuser app using the one provided in the RK29 Root Toolkit Files folder.

Post your results! I'm sure your not alone.

SN

Upvote 0
Thanks for this wonderful post. I did the steps on my daughters Klu LT7035-J.

I had to edit the driver file to get the ADB driver to install, once that was done everything seemed to go good.

However on the Google Play - the copying to the /system/app directory did not work, I just installed the apk file from the down load file and all was well.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
I uninstalled the ES File Explorer, but Superuser doesn't show up as an installed app. I used Root Analyzer to check the root status and it says it is still rooted. I attempted to search for superuser but cant find it available to install

Here is what I want you to try. Start at the beginning of post 4 and work through the instructions exactly as written. In your case this will include editing the android_winusb.inf file as explained in post 116. The only thing that will be different for you, since you have already uninstalled ES File Explorer (esfe), is that when you get to where it tells you to open esfe you will need to download, install, and open esfe.

Please report your results, good or bad, as I'm sure there are others experiencing similar issues who are waiting to see what happens.

Upvote 0
Hey guys I got the PLT7044k for myself and I am not computer smart, but I have gotten to the point of rooting the tablet but no play app where did I screw it up? I installed the app store but it force closes in 10 seconds. Please Help.

This is one of the known good tablets so you should be able to get it going. It sounds like you tried to install the play.apk without first moving it to the /system/app/ folder.

Check permissions of the /system/ folder (post 115)
perhaps a reset? (post 120)
uninstall the non working play app you have in there now and try again.

If it still doesn't work I may be able to help you, but you will have to be a lot more detailed in your description of what is going wrong than you were here.

Good luck
SN

Upvote 0
Hi,
I am following your instructions to root my LT7033 and am to the run the batch file. I have done that.
At first I got a message saying unable to find file specified, I closed that cmd window, then ran the batch file again and now i get:
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
It just sits there until I close the cmd window.

The tablet never gets updated.

Any Advice would be appreciated. I have also tried:
RK2918_update_1.5_Eng
It detects that my tablet is connected, i navigate to the image file and click update, after a few seconds it says
<Layer 1-1-3> Test Device Fail and the little box goes red.

Thanks
LB

Upvote 0
@ddpinkerton618

I don't have windows 8. Did you try searching Microsoft's help?
Start > help > search for disable driver signature enforcement
If that doesn't work, then search for the same info on the net. If you find a good description, do share.

(Edit: Here is the one I found and substituted into post 4...)
how to disable driver signature enforcement

@ longbow22:

If the firmware update that you were trying to accomplish had actually worked, you would have no touchscreen response at this point. You were fortunate that the updated failed! Do not use the firmware update from Curtis! Furthermore the fact that you tried probably means that you used the Rockusb drivers from Curtis and that may(?) prevent you from ever using the ADB Drivers provided by SferaDev.

Open the device manager (= dm) and then connect a usb cable to the tablet then the computer, watch for the device to add to the dm. Is the device connected as a Rockusb device or an Android device? See if the device manager will allow you to roll back the driver. Regardless of what it does get the hardware id values from the dm (2nd paragraph of post 115) Get both values, not just the longer one.

Be as detailed in your observations as you can. Details count!

Here is what I suspect your going to find, the original Klu LT7033 had hardware id values:
USB\VID_2207&PID_0006
USB\VID_2207&PID_0006&REV_0222

After being abused by the Rockchip USB drivers from Curtis the hardware id values will have changed to:
USB\VID_2207&PID_290A
USB\VID_2207&PID_290A&REV_0100

Regardless of what you find the drivers provided by Curtis need to be uninstalled & removed from your computer. Be careful or you could turn your rockchip into a brickchip.
Good Luck
SN

Upvote 0
SuperNoober,

DM has my device as "Android Phone" -> Android Bootloader Interface

Hardware IDs
USB\VID_2207&PID_290A

In the events tab, one of the entries is this:
Driver Management concluded the process to install driver android_winusb.inf_amd64_152a65ff49a4a027\android_winusb.inf for Device Instance ID USB\VID_2207&PID_290A\6&906F4BF&0&3 with the following status: 0x0.

The above references android_winusb.inf_amd64, I have an intel machine.
I guess I'm confused about what role the windows 8 device manager plays in flashing the tablet.

So should I completely remove the driver now and start fresh?

Thanks LB

Upvote 0
Hi,
I am following your instructions to root my LT7033 and am to the run the batch file. I have done that.
At first I got a message saying unable to find file specified, I closed that cmd window, then ran the batch file again and now i get:
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
It just sits there until I close the cmd window.

The tablet never gets updated.

I don't have much time, but here goes...

The batch file uses the adb.exe file to do its work. If you are connected with the bootloader then thats why the batch file is failing. you need to connect with the composite adb interface before running the runme.bat file.
SN

Upvote 0
SuperNoober,

I have uninstalled and deleted any drivers associated with the LT7033. I then downloaded the drivers listed in this forum trail.
Plugged in my tablet, it showed up in DM as unknown, I navigated to the folder with the driver and installed it as:
Composite adb interface
I then went through the steps to update my tablet, which failed.

I did notice that the Hardware IDs were still
USB\VID_2207&PID_290A

I believe you mentioned that might happen. What are my options now? How can I remove any trace of having installed any drivers associated with the LT7033? Registry?

Thanks
LB

Upvote 0
I have uninstalled and deleted any drivers associated with the LT7033. I then downloaded the drivers listed in this forum trail.
Plugged in my tablet, it showed up in DM as unknown, I navigated to the folder with the driver and installed it as:
Composite adb interface
I then went through the steps to update my tablet, which failed.

I did notice that the Hardware IDs were still
USB\VID_2207&PID_290A

I believe you mentioned that might happen. What are my options now? How can I remove any trace of having installed any drivers associated with the LT7033? Registry?

Really good question, I wish I had a really good answer.

The easy way around this problem is to borrow a friend's computer and start fresh.

The hard way is to try to figure out how to remove all traces of the bad drivers from your PC. As you have already seen this is easier said than done. If you, I, or anyone else out there can come up with an effective method for accomplishing this task, please do not hesitate to share.

In my efforts to solve this problem I came across a freeware program called USBDeview that will at least help you to see exactly how the tablet is connecting. The following link will take you to a CNET page where you can read about it and download if you so choose. Good luck. SN

USBDeview review & download link

NewAtThis provided a link in post 84 that should prove helpful...
Uninstall Drivers from Vista & Windows 7
After following the instructions on how to show "Ghosted" devices in the DM you could open two copies of the DM one showing the non-present devices and one showing only connected devices. By comparing the two versions of the DM and USBDeview you should be able to remove the errant drivers, I hope. As always, provide feedback, your not the only one with this problem and I'm sure at least a few people are waiting for you to succeed before venturing on themselves.

Upvote 0
SuperNoober,

I bought some software that cleans up the pc, I ran it and re-installed the drivers, then ran the runme.bat

This is what I get, the LT7033 reboots, but I dont see any change. When i check About in the LT7033 the version is still 4.04 Ideas??

RK29 Rooting toolkit (v1.2)
created by SferaDev for our RK Tabs (Based on ICS)
from the work of DooMLoRD using "andorid emulator" trick
Credits go to all those involved in making this possible!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
This tool will:
(1) Root your RK29 tab
(2) Install Busybox + Stericson's Busybox Free
(3) Install SU binary (3.1.1) + Superuser.apk
(4) If there is low free space, the tool will remove Google Maps.
Make sure you do this:
(1) Install the drivers of the folder
(2) Power on your Tab
(3) Turn Mass Storage OFF
(4) Enable "USB DEBUGGING" from Developer Options
(5) Enable "UNKNOWN SOURCES" from Security
(6) connect USB cable to your Tab and then connect it to PC
When you finish all above press enter...
Press any key to continue . . .
Let's begin with the work.
Waiting for your device
Creating temp folders
mkdir failed for tmp, File exists
Cleaning
rm failed for *, No such file or directory
Symlinking the temp folder
Rebooting
Waiting for your device
PLEASE WAIT, THIS MAY TAKE A WHILE
DEVICE FOUND
Enabling emulator hack
Rebooting
Waiting for your device
PLEASE WAIT, THIS MAY TAKE A WHILE
DEVICE FOUND
Pushing busybox
4721 KB/s (1075144 bytes in 0.222s)
Correcting permissions
Remounting /system
Checking free space on /system
142 KB/s (439 bytes in 0.003s)
--- Free space on /system : 274845 bytes
--- no cleanup required
Copying busybox to /system/xbin/
2099+1 records in
2099+1 records out
1075144 bytes transferred in 0.112 secs (9599500 bytes/sec)
Correcting ownership
Correcting permissions
Installing busybox
Pushing SU binary
3120 KB/s (380532 bytes in 0.119s)
Correcting ownership
Correcting permissions
Correcting symlinks
Pushing Superuser app
3793 KB/s (843503 bytes in 0.217s)
Pushing Busybox Free app
4177 KB/s (4284769 bytes in 1.001s)
Cleaning
Rebooting
You are root! Give feedback and a thanks in the XDA Forums!
By: SferaDev

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones