• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A strange problem with WIFI/Airplane mode.

When I hit 'close' on Pudding Camera, Avast, Maps, Google Services, Time, Swype, they all just re-start.

If I re boot into recovery mode I get the options 'Reboot system now' 'apply update from SD card', 'Wipe data/Factory reset', 'wipe cache partition'. Which do you suggest I choose?

And I must say I really appreciate your help!

Your camera, avast, Google services, and swype I expected to restart. So that's fine. I thought maps would close but I don't think it's a problem. You could turn off all the settings under Settings=> location. Or you could uninstall Maps. That way it can't access wifi or anything else.

Under recovery choose wipe cache partition. Also, under Advance, clear the dalvik cache. Sometimes things just get stuck so it's good practice to do it about 3 times. And it's normal for your phone to be a bit slow on the reboot. So tell us if that helped anything.

The "Update from SD card" option is used if you have an update.zip file on your SD card. Which you most likely do not. The "Wipe data/Factory reset" will clear all the partitions on your phone and I think maybe even the SD card itself. So we don't want any of that unless you want to flash Roms.

Upvote 0
I'm on my phone so Sulky might respond while I type but chose wipe cache partitions. Also, use titanium backup to freeze Avast. Although I don't know if you can freeze apps with the free version of Tb. Unless you bought the unlock key for titanium backup:)

:mad: OK so I choose 'wipe cache partitions' and nothing has changed.....

I didn't buy the key for TB yet, but I may as it seems a good app.

I presume that what ever is keeping the wifi on is also chewing up my credit when ever i am out of wifi range? and draining the battery.

Upvote 0
:mad: OK so I choose 'wipe cache partitions' and nothing has changed.....

I didn't buy the key for TB yet, but I may as it seems a good app.

I presume that what ever is keeping the wifi on is also chewing up my credit when ever i am out of wifi range? and draining the battery.

Here's a thought... About Phone=>Battery=>Battery use. So what's using the most battery?

Edit: Nvm, battery use is more vague than I thought it would be.

Upvote 0
Under recovery choose wipe cache partition. Also, under Advance, clear the dalvik cache. Sometimes things just get stuck so it's good practice to do it about 3 times. And it's normal for your phone to be a bit slow on the reboot. So tell us if that helped anything.

The "Update from SD card" option is used if you have an update.zip file on your SD card. Which you most likely do not. The "Wipe data/Factory reset" will clear all the partitions on your phone and I think maybe even the SD card itself. So we don't want any of that unless you want to flash Roms.

OK, so I wiped cache partition. and unfortunately no change. I am unsure what you mean by 'under Advance, clear the dalvik cache' I cleared the Dalvik cache with andromizer as TB said there were no unneeded files.....I guess you can see where I am going with this?

:mad: No change....... I am bewildered....

Upvote 0
OK, so I wiped cache partition. and unfortunately no change. I am unsure what you mean by 'under Advance, clear the dalvik cache' I cleared the Dalvik cache with andromizer as TB said there were no unneeded files.....I guess you can see where I am going with this?

:mad: No change....... I am bewildered....

It would be much better if you cleared those two partitions while booted into your recovery. TB is a great app but the recovery is more powerful and we have it to do things like this.

If your're around a WiFi network and the notify me option is checked, I believe some apps may be able to force WiFi on to use it. Furthermore, my Samsung Galaxy Prevail has a WiFi widget in the notification bar. Sometimes that gets stuck on while the setting is suppose to be off. There is also an advanced menu under WiFi settings by hitting the menu button on your phone. Perhaps there is something there you can change.

As a kind of last resort, you could look into flashing a Rom. If you have root and a recovery then you're essentially half-way through the steps involved in Rom Flashing.

Upvote 0
It would be much better if you cleared those two partitions while booted into your recovery. TB is a nice app but the recovery is more powerful and we have it to do things like this.

If your're around a WiFi network and the notify me option is checked, I believe some apps may be able to force WiFi on to use it. Furthermore, my Samsung Galaxy Prevail has a WiFi widget in the notification bar. Sometimes that gets stuck on while the setting is suppose to be off. There is also an advanced menu under WiFi settings by hitting the menu button on your phone. Perhaps there is something there you can change.

As a kind of last resort, you could look into flashing a Rom. If you have root and a recovery then you're essentially half-way through the steps involved in Rom Flashing.

You are way beyond me so forgive me for being slow here but, point by point;

I thought I had cleared the partitions when I cleared the cache in recovery and rebooted?

I am around a wifi network, the notify me option is not checked, I have been through the advanced wifi settings and still cant get it to stop.

I thought of flashing a ROM but when I tried to save the current ROM the ROM manager said that CWM didn't support my phone, and it seemed better to save the ROM I have before flashing a new one, maybe I will look into it now and maybe I should just flash a ROM without saving the old one??? Is it an easy process? And where is a good source to find a ROM?

I really need to sort this out as I cant put any credit on the phone because every time I go out of wireless range the phone starts using all my credit. I am thinking of taking the phone to a repair place......not high on my list of options but anyway....

Upvote 0
So, I have seen a ROM (TechnoDuos) Here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=28591421&postcount=5 But I have no idea which files to install....

I was reading this Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy Y Duos GT-S6102 | Tech Cure … how to flash a ROM

And I managed to install CWM and make a back up of the ROM I currently have, so my question is, should I follow the instructions and flash a ROM??? In the instructions it says to do a factory re set but you said if I do a factory re set on a rooted phone I will brick it. All very puzzling.

Upvote 0
It sucks that we can't seem to solve your problem. If you decide to go down the path of ROM flashing then only you can be held responsible for what ever happens. Know that before you continue.

Now to answer your question. The Wipe data/Factory reset option under CWM is different then the Factory reset the phone uses. CWM's will return the phone to how it was when it came off the factory line--Blank. Or close to it. You'll have nothing but CWM recovery to boot into. So, it's important you're confident in want you're doing and you have all the necessary files. ROM flashing is not a long or hard process but you need to stay serious nonetheless.

I have never used Rom manager before but I would use the listed way on the ROM page to install the recovery. You said you had root so it's likely you already have the recovery as well.When you make a backup, you should store it on your computer for later. You may want to come back to stock one day.

Also, Make sure any ROMs you find are for your particular model of phone. You can run into trouble if they aren't. I followed your links and found this ROM too: Xperia-Duos Custom ROM for galaxy y duos GT-S6102 | Tech Cure …
It might be a bit easier to install. Regardless of what ROM you choose, follow the directions and you should be fine.

Upvote 0
This usually happens to me when I hit WiFi and Airplane mode at the same time. Pulling the battery is usually how I fix it. Sometimes repeatedly hitting wifi on/off works too.

And if you factory reset you'll likely lose root and can brick your device.

Wait a sec...back the bus up:p
When rooted, using the phone option to factory reset will unroot and brick it?:thinking:

Upvote 0
Ah well, no worries I guess. I am going to flash a ROM as described in the link. I guess if I have problems it is better to start a new thread?

The only thing I am not totally clear about is which files (from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=28591421&postcount=5)
I should down load.

Well, the different files are for different ROMs along with some useful apps and the tools needed to flash those ROMs. Go to each ROMs page to know exactly what you need.

Upvote 0
Well, the different files are for different ROMs along with some useful apps and the tools needed to flash those ROMs. Go to each ROMs page to know exactly what you need.

I know that I am not the first person to say this.......

Strated the phone in CWM, wiped data, cleared cache, installed Kernal zip, installed TechnoDUOS1.5 (Stable S1525) (ROM), and followed the instructions here.

Now the phone is stuck on the Samsung start up screen....at this point I have to laugh as there was not really going to be any other result.

I presume that it is a software issue and that I haven't chosen the right files to install, any ideas? Or even better a solution :)

Upvote 0
I know that I am not the first person to say this.......

Strated the phone in CWM, wiped data, cleared cache, installed Kernal zip, installed TechnoDUOS1.5 (Stable S1525) (ROM), and followed the instructions here.

Now the phone is stuck on the Samsung start up screen....at this point I have to laugh as there was not really going to be any other result.

I presume that it is a software issue and that I haven't chosen the right files to install, any ideas? Or even better a solution :)

This is why you should create a back up. As long as you can still boot into recovery then you should be fine. But are you sure it's stuck? After clearing dalvik, it can take awhile for a phone to fully boot up.

Upvote 0
Do you have the Y Duos or the S Duos?

I have the Y Duos.

I couldn't figure out which of the files to install and/or what combination of files where needed for the TechnoDuos ROM. Even though I thought I had it all figured out eventually it still didnt work......

So I then tried to Flash Xperia Duos which did eventually work, (even though it looks awful), but strangely the 'settings' option is not available. I saw in the instructions it says to open the ROM with 7Zip and copy the settings.APK to the system folder...I did that and now the phone is coming on though there is no settings anywhere.......
I think I would be happyier to flash the TechnoDuos as it looks a lot cleaner than Xperia.....:thinking:

Upvote 0
This is why you should create a back up. As long as you can still boot into recovery then you should be fine. But are you sure it's stuck? After clearing dalvik, it can take awhile for a phone to fully boot up.

I left it for a few minutes and nothing happened other than the Samsung Galaxy screen, had a bit of a panic attack and then flashed Xperia which, as I said, worked but without the settings. I am just trying again.

I would like to try and flash TechnoDuos again.
Which of these should I install and in which order?
Version 1.5 BDSky
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. TechnoDUOS1.5 (Stable S1525) (ROM) *New
2. ADBLK Fix (UpdatePack) *New
3. Arabic Support (Beta QF2) (UpdatePack)
4. BDSky Kernel
---------------------------------------------
Also here are all the ROMS, Kernels etc. I followed all the instructions but guess I did it wrong.

Upvote 0
Congrats on your first successful ROM flash!

Since you have root you can use a file browser to paste the settings.apk in the /system/app folder and reboot. No computer needed. Also, the Xperia ROM uses the Sony Xperia launcher. You could remove the Xperia Home.apk from the /system/app folder and replace it with the launcher of your choice. You wouldn't really need to do this as you could just install another home launcher from the play store.

1) Put BDSky kernel, KernalFlasherV2, and TechnoDuos1.5 on your SD card.
2) Wipe caches, dalvik, etc.
3) Flash the KernalFlasherV2. It should automatically flash BDSky kernel.
4) Flash TechnoDuos1.5.
5) Flash the other stuff like A2SD last.

The above steps is how I would do it.

Upvote 0
Congrats on your first successful ROM flash!

Since you have root you can use a file browser to paste the settings.apk in the /system/app folder. No computer needed. Also, the Xperia ROM uses the Sony Xperia launcher. You could remove the Xperia Home.apk from the /system/app folder and replace it with the launcher of your choice. You wouldn't really need to do this as you could just install another home launcher from the play store.

Looking at the links in post #40 I see you installed the TechnosDuos1.5 but instructions link is for version 1.0. Did you put all 3 files on your SD card and use the correct kernel flasher?

Hahahaha. Thanks for the congrats but I am not sure I have earned them yet!

Anyway, re the TechnoDuos;
What can I say? I am a dork! haha.

Ermmmm, I put on my card this;
Version 1.5 BDSky
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. TechnoDUOS1.5 (Stable S1525) (ROM) *New
2. ADBLK Fix (UpdatePack) *New
3. Arabic Support (Beta QF2) (UpdatePack)
4. BDSky Kernel
---------------------------------------------

And this;
TechnoDuos 1.5 BDSky
1. A2SD Enabler
2. A2SD Enabler 2 (UpdatePack) (Altrenative)
3. Google Talk (UpdatePack)
4. Memo (UpdatePack) *New
5. MyFiles (UpdatePack) *New
6. Swype (UpdatePack)

and this;
1. KernelFlasherV2 Updated (Flash + Backup) *New (Recommended)

I followed the instructions, start phone with CWM, clear data etc, then flashed the Kernel, then installed the ROM, etc. The only thing I didnt install was the Arabic Support as at the time I thought that since I am not Arabic I probably didnt need it, but it is occurring to me that perhaps it actually has nothing to do with Arabs....?

Anyway, once again I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out with this.

I will see if I can copy the settings.APK and if the Xperia will work, though my first choice is the Techno. Any idea where I could find a set of instructions for the 1.5 Version? As I would really like to try that again. I am sure I flashed the files in the wrong order or missed something out.

Upvote 0
Here are the instructions for version 1.5:
Custom ROM TechnoDUOS (BDSky 1.5) For Galaxy Y Duos GT-S6102 | Tech Cure …

In my experience the kernel comes before the ROM. But they seem to have it listed the other way around. You said it got stuck at boot up. I don't know what the deal is with KernalFlasherV2. So you may want to try flashing the boot.img (BDSky kernel) yourself and then try flashing the ROM.

Reactions: nixontankgirl
Upvote 0
BTW, the settings.APK is in the APP folder. I can see it, but hitting the settings doesn't do anything.
And I have found a set of instructions for TechnoDuos1.5 with another set of files to download so I am doing that now. Good Grief. Heard the expression 'better is the enemy of good'? I should of just been satisfied with the way I had the phone set up and then I probably wouldn't have had the entire wifi/flight mode issue in the 1st place......

Upvote 0
WOO-HOO. You guys are the bomb. I 'think' I have just flashed TechnoDuos!!! It appears to be working. Hopefully.
I have created my google account and have turned off the wifi.....and its still off!

I have one last, tiny tiny question. This ROM doesn't have swype and I was liking that, so can I install the swype that I downloaded from the other site when I originally tried to flash TechnoDuos? Just use CWM, right?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones