A summation of events and our current status

Last Updated:

1. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,

I've been watching this saga very closely and I thought I would provide a bit of reference for people jumping in.

-On November 18, 2009 Samsung launches the Behold 2. It is, spec-wise, the most powerful Android handset T-Mobile has.
    -It recieved middling reviews. The Touchwiz interface is viewed as an overall negative, but the screen and hardware receive high marks.
    -The Motorola Droid is launched three weeks prior on Verizon, completely shorting the Behold 2. It receives positive reviews.
    -In an effort to compete, Samsung promises the same software update to the Droid. This promise is made before the launch of the Behold 2.
    -Samsung also gives away many Behold 2s in a marketing effort to spread the user base.
    -Users of the Behold 2 look forward to the update, which should solve all of the software problems to the otherwise very solid device.
    -In January, T-Mobile Users get the choice of the Nexus One for less with better software and hardware. At this time the Behold 2 is dead.
    -Cut to May 2010. Samsung officially drops support for the Behold 2. After universal condemnation from the media and the users, they decide to do an update to 1.6. Still not the original promise.

Current Status-

Samsung has broken the law, they know it just as well as we do. This is basic offer and acceptance. This "compromise" is really designed more for the blogs, who want to close out the news cycle. Samsung does not expect a lawsuit, since it would be too much effort to a small userbase. They are likely right, unless someone gets going on the class action suit to provide more news to places like Engadget, etc, this thing is over.

It is also worth noting that the Behold 2 is more than capable of running android 2.x. It was a flagship device after all, and is more powerful than most Android devices.

Advertisement
    Bugdog, Mastermind278 and Remillard like this.
  2. behold_this

behold_this Well-Known Member

the promo video promising 2.0 that was released was part of samsung's "maximizing your experience" promotional blitz launched, as mentioned, before the behold 2 was available for purchase by tmobile (november 18, 2009). it also included phones like the windows mobile powered omina 2, which, i should mention, also failed to receive promised updates.

3. Remillard

Remillard Active Member

Thanks for the summary, should provide good fodder for an upcoming conversation with T-Mobile. It helps to have talking points ready at hand to stay focused.

4. dctony2010

dctony2010 Active Member

Did they really promise 1.6? I must have missed the announcement.

5. behold_this

yes they really promised only 1.6 and also promised no 2.x....ever

6. dctony2010

dctony2010 Active Member

can you show me where they announced they are releasing 1.6. I'm a little bummed we are not getting 2.0 and I know ppl have been rooting 1.6 for awhile now but something is better than nothing I guess.

7. behold_this

@SamsungMobileUS Twitter page

8. Mastermind278

Mastermind278 Well-Known Member

Twitter / Samsung Mobile USA: Please see our official re ...

This will just be something very similar to the 1.6 Factory the Eugene/BH_MAN released as a leak.