A Tech Question.

Last Updated:

1. alinver

alinver Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Please bear(bare?) with me I'm not the greatest at explaining what I actually mean when it comes to tech stuff.

Here goes, when I switch on my Hero for some unknown reason I always check to see what the figure is(RAM?)on my task manager/tasKiller widget thingy. It's always around 110-117max. I have my tasKiller set to close programes when the phone sleeps apart from the programes I use, music, mail, mytracks. Now during the day the figure never reaches it's original 110-117 and sometimes goes as low as 70-75, even when the phone has been "asleep" or if I manually close apps I've been using, twitter, footprints, browser, wiki ect.

I have no problem with the speed of the phone, if anything by closing apps/programes when the phone sleeps I find it snappy and pretty quick.

My question is where does that original, RAM? go? Sorry if this doesn't' make sense or feel important I'm just curious.

Thanks in advance
    Al

Advertisement
  2. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

jim_h likes this.
  3. alinver

Thank you very much for the link andy d.

A very well thought out and presented opinion. Particularly for someone like myself who is brand new to the Linux/Android world. This link should be a sticky somewhere obvious or perhaps posted in multiple forums.

It will certainly change the way I use my phone, and I'm sure it will help me get the most out of my new and favourite piece of tech.

Thanks again.
    Al

4. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

My Pleasure :)

alinver likes this.
  5. jim_h

jim_h Well-Known Member

+1 with the thanks. That's a very interesting article.

6. alinver

I thought I'd do a little update, I uninstalled my taskiller and man what a difference, it might be my imagination but my phone does feel quicker, opening up apps and general browsing, texting & mail. One thing is for sure my phone isn't slower.

I did install Spare Parts and found a couple of the apps I'd downloaded from the market were very battery & CPU hungry, they weren't something I used that much so I won't miss them.

Thanks again for the link andy d. I would encourage others to read it and give it some thought.

Cheers Al