A Terribly Stupid Question

Last Updated:

1. 510brody

510brody Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I am new to this forum, and new to the droid and rooting. How are you all doing? So I have rooted my phone and currently have the cm5.0.5.3 Rom. Been trying to update to the new 5.0.5.7 with no success as I mentioned in another thread. But I received an e-mail from Verizon Wireless the other day that says thanks for upgrading to the 2.1 OTA. Which I never Initiated. I did an ADB emulator command to supposedly block out OTA updates. So here's the stupid question. How do I know if I'm still rooted. Perhaps this may be the problem with downloading that new cyanogenmod ROM. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. And sorry for being so clueless.

Advertisement
  2. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

easiest way to see if you are rooted is to open terminal emulator and type su if you see a # it worked and you are still rooted

3. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I didnt see the other thread so I dont know what exactly your problem has been but you might want to give clearing your download cache in rom manager if you are infact trying to use rom manager to update

510brody likes this.
  4. exjimenez

exjimenez Well-Known Member

i got that email from verizon today too, and im running 5.0.5.7 and still have SU permissions. i wonder if they are just reading the build numbers off phones and sending out these emails?

anyway i would recommend dling the newest cm rom from their forum, rom manager has been too inconsistent for me with download errors

5. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

My best guess is they are just assuming that all us nice, compliant, law abiding Android citizens have already received and downgraded the upgrade. For all they know we can be running 2.2 :cool: The email probably went out to everyone in the geographic areas it is available.

6. 510brody

510brody Member This Topic's Starter

Hey I appreciate the replies. I guess apparently everyone has been getting those e-mails rooted or not. OMJ, I tried clearing some space by deleting some old backups on ROM manager and it works like a charm now. I appreciate the advice. Another guy gave me a direct link for the zip file for the 5.0.5.7 and that worked great also. Thanks again for the comments.