A thought about live wallpapers...General

Last Updated:

1. timmywa

timmywa Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Now that I'm waiting for my replacement Eris since it got a bath, I'm back on my "old" LG VX-8350. This little dumb flip phone has two LCD displays that both fully support Live Wallpapers. I can even record video and set that clip as a live wallpaper! If this allegedly old technology can rock live wallpapers on 2 LCD displays, why is it so much of a challenge to get my far superior and far more powerful Eris to do it??

Just wondering....

Advertisement
  2. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

cause of the ram? im just guessing

3. ericnail

ericnail Well-Known Member

I have a brand new Droid X and it even makes my superfast processor hiccup a little..

They're useless anyway...

4. Praetorian

Praetorian Well-Known Member

Because all the phone is doing is running the live wallpaper and waiting for a call. It doesn't have to multi-task different programs, deal with running services, and a bunch of different apps getting constant updates like facebook, weather, twitter, etc.

5. xAusTiN

xAusTiN Well-Known Member

I don't see the hype in live wallpapers anyway, so a flower moves in the distance, big deal.

6. Ted S

Ted S Well-Known Member

A wise man one said; "The more dogs you have, the more dog poop you will have."

If you like being around dogs more than dog poop bothers you, then by-all-means, have many dogs.

If you like animation more than having a faster and more reliable and stable phone, then by-all-means, go for the live wall paper.

It's nice to have choices.

7. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Pretty much this. Your LG phone, while it doesn't have a very powerful CPU, only needs to animate the background, and keep connected to the network and receive messages and phone calls. The Eris is literally running circles around the LG in terms of what its doing.

Also, Live wallpapers are much more than a simple animation or even a video. The Eris is rendering and displaying these in real time. All your LG is playing back a pre-rendered file. The Eris has to create the content, and animate it.

If your not really getting what I'm saying, think about this. Any modern day PC can play back video relatively easily. The content has already been created, and all it has to do is play it back. This is all the LG is doing, playing back a small animation. However, you need a more powerful PC to play games on it, since the PC has to create the content on its own. This is what the Eris is doing with Live Wallpapers.

timmywa likes this.
  8. timmywa

timmywa Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for all the info. I was actually having a bit of a sarcastic moment with a buddy of mine... I got a pretty good laugh out of him with it so I thought I'd post it here... Looks like it's the ol' cant get humor/sarcasm over the net issue rearing it's head.

Again, very good and insightful info, so thanks!