• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A thread about apps

Firstly, I know there are many other threads about apps so sorry for the double post.
The purpose of this thread is to
A) find out answers to a few of the niggling issues bugging me
and B) help some newbies gain a knowledge of the good from the bad regarding apps

Please elaborate on all apps, ie explain why you like a certain app, what does it do, what doesn't it do that you'd like it to do?

My favourite / most useful apps in no particular order are as follows;

AppRemover - fairly self explanatory but does what the stock program does only loads up instantly instead of taking ages.

Astro - ace app for acessing the info on your SD card, can't fault.

Better Alarm Clock - Found that the stock alarm didn't always work (being made late for work once is bad enough :mad:) Could do without the ads but suppose it was free so can't complain.

Calender - Currently using Calwidget (which uses stock calender) but to be honest I would really like to find a calender that syncs with my contacts and recognises birthdays but cal widget is easy to read onscreen and great that you can choose from lots of different size widgets :cool:

FolderOrganiser - one of the few apps I actually paid for and don't regret it, great for creating shortcut links and customising screens with new icons :cool: One small gripe; when I create a shortcut to 'messages' app, I changed the icon but it kept changing back to the stock icon:mad: did the same for the mail app and it worked as it should.

GoogleVoiceSearch - quite possibly the desires trump card over the Iphone, press and hold magnifier and ask the question you would normally t_y_p_e into google and it carries out the search pretty much instantly, top app. Could maybe be expanded for use on other functions like note entry, calender entry.

LED light - uses the camera flash as a light instead of the screen, neat quick access widget too, simple but useful.

Mail - I'm currently using the stock mail app but would really like to find an e-mail program that uses the SD card to store mail and also has a save folder for moving important mail too.

Messages - I'm using the stock app and generally happy, heard some people talk about handcent but can't see what it would offer (useful) over the stock app.

MoreIconsWidget - Another paid app and didn't regret this one either, basically you can create a widget (1-4 squares long) that shrinks 4 icons into 1 square. great if you like lots of things within 1 touch on your main screen. Only thing I would change about it is the ability to change the icons that you see.

Runkeeper - Brilliant for keeping record of workout, allows GPS tracking too:D

Apps that I am currently on the lookout for; A usable BBC Iplayer app, currently got 'MyPlayer installed but find the quality to be terrible:mad: Also would like to find an app similar to word and excel that allows editing of docs.

All in all though the desire is a fab phone and anyone new to the phone / forum should not be too concerned about the horror stories, many of the problems that people have highlighted are easily addressed by simple steps found on this here forum.

AppRemover
- fairly self explanatory but does what the stock program does only loads up instantly instead of taking ages.
Astro will also do this.

- ace app for acessing the info on your SD card, can't fault.
I agree a brilliant app although I will check out Estrong.

Better Alarm Clock
- Found that the stock alarm didn't always work (being made late for work once is bad enough :mad:) Could do without the ads but suppose it was free so can't complain.
The stock alarm clock hasn't failed me...yet.

- Currently using Calwidget (which uses stock calender) but to be honest I would really like to find a calender that syncs with my contacts and recognises birthdays but cal widget is easy to read onscreen and great that you can choose from lots of different size widgets :cool:
I'm using Jorte as it syncs well and there is a good choice of widgets. However I wish the tasks list part would also sync with my Google calendar.

FolderOrganiser
- one of the few apps I actually paid for and don't regret it, great for creating shortcut links and customising screens with new icons :cool: One small gripe; when I create a shortcut to 'messages' app, I changed the icon but it kept changing back to the stock icon:mad: did the same for the mail app and it worked as it should.
Definitely my favourite app :) I used AppOrganiser and BookmarkOrganiser first (from the same developer) although I think I might uninstall these now as FolderOrganiser seems to do everything. I just have the free version and I don't feel as if I'm missing out on anything.

I had the 'messages' problem too. It was discussed in the display your homescreen thread. The workaround was to set it up as a label on FolderOrganiser and then put the app with the new icon in that label.

GoogleVoiceSearch
- quite possibly the desires trump card over the Iphone, press and hold magnifier and ask the question you would normally t_y_p_e into google and it carries out the search pretty much instantly, top app. Could maybe be expanded for use on other functions like note entry, calender entry.
Maybe it's my voice but it usually takes a few tries for it to understand me properly :eek: There are apps on the market already which do note entry and calendar entry. Check out Voice2Clipboard and CalendarQuickAdd ;)

LED light
- uses the camera flash as a light instead of the screen, neat quick access widget too, simple but useful.
I use FlashApp which is similar.

- I'm currently using the stock mail app but would really like to find an e-mail program that uses the SD card to store mail and also has a save folder for moving important mail too.
K-9 mail allows folders. You can't save to sd but it does allow you to download as many emails as you need when required. For example if you have it set up to display the most recent 50 emails in a folder there will be an option at the bottom of the list to download another 50 for that folder. It's much better than the stock mail app.

Reactions: incsmiro
Upvote 0
Wow, Thanks for that very informative reply @snowmobile. It's taken me all day to get any near writing a reply as I've had so many apps to take a look at! Just goes to show 'ask and ye shall find'. The forum strikes a winner again!

Here's an update below:

With regards to Astro and removing apps, I've had a quick look at this and couldn't figure out how to do this, I know you can backup apps using astro so probably in there somewhere, 'AppRemover' is one icon that does only this and does it damn quick so can't see a better alternative really.

With regards to the stock alarm, I cannot find a way of using a music track as your alarm sound and that was probaby the main reason I slept in, it would take a lot for me to trust the stock alarm again as I cannot abide being late for work!!

Tried Jorte and actually quite impressed with the versatility of it but still have the same problem in that the birthdays that are saved under individual contacts are not recognised by the calender is it something I'm not doing? well impressed with that one though, thanks.

With regards to the messages problem, did exactly what you said earlier today and whilst this looks good on the home screen it involves double clicking (the label only opens up access to the icon 'messages') Petty I know but annoying nonetheless.

voice2clipboard didn't look too clever under ratings but thanks, added 'calender quick add' and seems like a pretty good app, thanks.

Added K-9 also but early days on that one, will try and post an update on here when familiar with it.

Also added Appbrain and immediately found a couple of very useful apps, many thanks for that one.

As an update, I've finally persuaded myself to try swype and must say that initially I've been quite impressed, the accuracy of the thing is just astonishing!!

Upvote 0
I've replaced Astro with EStrong. Slicker, nice LAN feature.

Not tried RunKeeper. I use Google My Tracks and CardioTrainer.

Sorry for the late, late reply but I kind stopped checking this website for a while, with regards to the above I have now switched from astro to estrong but couldn't really pinpoint any real advantage, no idea what the LAN feature is or what use it would be to me.
Having tried cardio trainer I would say that it is a much more in depth and better program but I've kept both cos sometimes I just want to get straight out there and runkeeper is quicker to start. not tried google my tracks yet, what exactly does it do?

thanks for the info though.

Upvote 0
Okay guys. Here's my Apps of choice.

LauncherPro

Though I have installed ADW. Just not to to grips with it yet.

Handcent SMS

AWESOME message replacement. LOVE the skinning feature.

Pure Celander

I've tried most others, but I LOVE the skinning feature of this Cal. Also it displays my Google Calendar events as coloured bars. Like an old fashioned wall planner. Just the way I like it.

Astrid.

Task organiser. Invaluable.

Apps Organiser.

I LOVE the way you can organise your apps into personalised folders.

Astro

Use this for backing up my apps to my SD card, though I have just downloaded Estrong on the recommendation of the above threads.

Better Cut.

Love the shortcut features, and how you can add non default Icons to apps with this.

Quick Uninstaller

As I'm ALWAYS uninstalling apps, due to the usual space issues. This is my weapon of choice for this.

Beautiful Widgets.

LOVE the skinning feature of the weather, and clock widget that comes with this.

Swiftkey

ABSOLUTELY LOVE the predictive text feature, and how it just knows what you're going to write.

UltraNotes

Note keeper.

Mini Info.

AWESOME system info widget.

LED Desire Light.

Custom torch for the Camera Flash.

Dialer One.

Phone replacement.

Barcode Scanner.

What it says on the tin.

BBC News.

Again, what it says on the tin.

Gallery

Stock Nexus One Gallery app. Love it.

3 Music Player.

Awesome music player.

Upvote 0
Here's my list of must have apps :D

Astro - Tried this first then went to estrong and now back with this. Could not get estrong to transfer a simple apk file to my girls phone via BT so got in a strop and removed it and went back to old faithful Astro :D

Handcent - The best messaging app bar none. Tried chomp but this just does more.

Dolphin Browser HD - Again The best browser bar none...Nuff said!

Ebo Birthday - Drags all my facebook contacts birthdays onto my calander

Android Agenda Widget - have been using Calwidget and this is similar but prefer the look of this. Also works with Astrid to show tasks on the same widget

FolderOrganizer - One of the few I've paid for. takes customisation to a new level

Gensoid - Play old megadrive/Genesis games
Marvin - Play old spectrum Games
Snesoid - Play old Super Nintendo games

My backup Pro - Again paid for this. Maybe a bit bloody Minded as know Astro can do this but tried it and works a treat

Picsay Pro - Great photo editing software for your phone. Got some really cool tricks!

Radardroid - Speed Camera notification tool. Works really well with Navigation. Not let me down yet.

Rockplayer - The best video player on Android.

Call Meter NG - Keeps you uptodate with how many minutes, sms's and data minutes you have used. Prefer this to 3g watchdog as does all 3.

Silent boot - The only thing I didn't like about my phone was the annoying tune when you turned it on. Downloaded this and now my phone IS quietly brilliant!

Mini Info - Great little widget that tells me how much battery left and also internal and SD card memory space in one handy little widget.

Lockbot Pro - Changes the lock screen. Now got a pretty picture and the froyo lock screen.

Have gone through hundreds of apps in my first few months and have calmed down a little now :)

Use the Sense launcher as tried launcher Pro and AWD but like the friendstream, news and email Sense widgets plus did not find either of these quite as smooth and reliable as Sense.

I love my desire :D :D :D

Upvote 0
"Have gone through hundreds of apps in my first few months and have calmed down a little now"

Haha, know the feelin on that one, think I calmed down when I first saw the message "phone memory low" ;-)
A few apps I thought worth mentioning are;
> timeriffic - basically this app allows you to set times for certain things to change, for example- every night at 10 my phone will switch to silent mode, brightness to minimum, wifi off, bluetooth off etc. then at 7 in the morning my ringer switches back to normal again. 5 star app in my opinion.

> Cardio trainer - this was recommended earlier in this thread but didn't properly try it out last time, major benefits of this app over say runkeeper is that you can set it to give you progress updates during your run, even if your playing music it will say "3 miles 8:32 per mile" in addition to this it gives you a record in your notification bar of the workouts done in last 7 days, good for reminding you that you need to get your ass back out there!

Upvote 0
I am a uk user but to be honest the only keyboard I think I'll ever use is swype cos it's the quickest bar none!
Another app I've just found today is sky+
It is a genuine app and does everything you would want it to do such as view tv listings for upto a week and also lets you tell it to record, awesome :)
Another app is 8500+ drinks recipes which is great for selecting cocktails as it lets you type in the ingredients that you've got and then makes suggestions using those drinks.

Upvote 0
got to say, my favourite alarm clock is "shake n not stirred". It is brilliant. I am very good at stumbling around in the dark and hitting dismiss.

With this, I shake it to snooze and the buttons do nothing. I have to unlock the screen and press dismiss.

Really works for me. For 72 pence, Can't got wrong. Still one of my best investments to date.

Upvote 0
I've recently read on the BBC website that the BBC Trust OKed apps for the iPhone (BBC news, sports and iPlayer), with android apps to follow soon. So it shouldn't take too long, I would guess.

Not exactly an app, but TVCatchup Mobile on Dolphin browser after 2.2 update gives free high quality live streaming tv even over mobile broadband.

BBC have pretty much crippled their iPlayer site with their recent redesign (probably inspired by the morons that brought us the ITV player) so I won't be holding my breath for an app if they design it.

Upvote 0
got to say, my favourite alarm clock is "shake n not stirred". It is brilliant. I am very good at stumbling around in the dark and hitting dismiss.

With this, I shake it to snooze and the buttons do nothing. I have to unlock the screen and press dismiss.

Really works for me. For 72 pence, Can't got wrong. Still one of my best investments to date.

Will take a look at that one, must admit I have on occasion in a blur hit the wrong button and rolled back over, luckily I'm saved by my 2nd (emergancy) alarm but can never be too complacent! When you unlock it though (say you've already hit snooze) does it take you straight to the alarm screen or do you have to open the app? also, is it add free?

Upvote 0
Not exactly an app, but TVCatchup Mobile on Dolphin browser after 2.2 update gives free high quality live streaming tv even over mobile broadband.

BBC have pretty much crippled their iPlayer site with their recent redesign (probably inspired by the morons that brought us the ITV player) so I won't be holding my breath for an app if they design it.

Yeah I've got that site saved (not got dolphin though) and found it to be pretty good quality when in decent signal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones