• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

a unusual Android/Apple Bestbuy experience

Curious Mew

Apr 20, 2012
So yesterday I went to Bestbuy to look around at Android tablets. I already knew they wouldn't have the Nexus 7, but I asked anyway.

The employee told me that Bestbuy no longer carried them because of some lawsuit with Apple and that it is now a rare find. Laughing it off as if I didn't know any better, I walked away and continued poking around the store. I was beginning to feel like there were Apple fanboys in my vicinity, kept hearing 'iPad' this and 'Iphone' that. Was this employee actually trying to mislead me?

I know Android products have been getting sued left and right over Apple patents, but seriously? The Nexus 7 is the most raving tablet I have ever heard about online. Apparently he didn't know anything about Google Play, because as far I know the 16GB version was just barely restocked and is still up for sale?

Something else worth mentioning, I couldn't help but notice the poor condition of the Android tablets. Some of them wouldn't turn on, while others had smudges of junk on the screen. I even found some that were sitting off their stands and/or were missing altogether. It was an Android fans' worst nightmare, I got out of there so fast!! :eek:

Agree each time I check out the newest Android tabs at my local BB they're usually in bad shape.
Rarely get good advice from anyone at my local but I always go in with knowledge about the product I buy. Also, thanks to their messed up system I was able to grab a Flyer for $99. :D
I believe the N7 is still available from the Play Store still.

Upvote 0
Noticed the same here. It happens with other products, too. HP printers get featured and you can't find a printer only Canon. I've caught the photo dept. in errors.

I had one store supervisor pissed since another supervisor demoed a microwave.

BB is struggling. People come in, handle the mdse., then buy from Amazon or other internet store.

Upvote 0
Something else worth mentioning, I couldn't help but notice the poor condition of the Android tablets. Some of them wouldn't turn on, while others had smudges of junk on the screen. I even found some that were sitting off their stands and/or were missing altogether. It was an Android fans' worst nightmare, I got out of there so fast!! :eek:

I have seen the same thing at BB. They need to clean up their act as well as their tablets. I have seen damaged cases, dummy units and other things that really make it easy to go iPad.

Upvote 0
Don't belive them the blue shirt doesn't mean they know everything alot are more clueless then me (no offence to anyone who works their as some actually know stuff) try Walmart they might not have it in store but you can get it shiptostore or to your house.

I do go to best buy to look often at things I will eventually buy on Amazon. However, at times best buy has a good sale or returned items that I buy there. I wouldn't mind paying a little extra to buy from them if their people actually knew much about the products they were selling. I learn more from amazon product feedback then anything they offer. Many don't even know the basic info and read it off of the product in front of you. So I guy there usually just to see the product in person. Maybe the should charge an entrance fee.:thinking:.

Androids are selling their products like windows sells theirs, which is sad. When i walk into an apple store, the products are clean with excellent apps and staff willing to explain to you exactly what you are getting and what it can do. They aren't perfect, but at least you know what are the most popular iPad specific apps, and what they can do.

Its not solely BB fault, google has work to do with its developers and app store. I have an iPad, but although I am solely a mac user, I like the Android interface better for phones and pads. My problem are the apps, hardware makers, and update problems with android devices.

Upvote 0
Over here in the UK I can only assume PC world/Currys is the equivalent?

I've been looking for a nexus7 in the shop for a while, best I could do was a tab 2.... So eventually asked the guy, he told me another store 15 miles away would have one, took a drive and they did, bit clearly the woman didn't know the product very well.

On another note,I did the tapping on Android version thing.... That's a big improvement from ics, and think that alone convinced my better half to let new get one :p

Upvote 0
And another note, I remember going into the o2 shop to query my s2 not long after I had bought it (problem with random restarts, which had since ironed itself out) prior to going in I had discovered this site and from the posts, seen it was a common problem, but they hadn't heard anything about it etc!
in fact, when upgrading to the phone, I asked if it had a radio, and the woman didn't even know....this being the best phone available at the time!

Personally id go with info found from this site before I took the word of a sales assistant!

Upvote 0
Doesn't Apple have some sort of licensing agreement with their retailers for how the displays are to be kept? Like in the grocery store the soda supplier will maintain their shelves making sure product is stocked and looks attractive. I just assumed Apple did this as well to keep up appearances.

Whereas Android tablets are a free-for-all of devices. It's up to the individual store what they will stock and highlight.

When the Motorola Xoom was released last year I went to BB to check it out. I couldn't even unlock it because some customer had put in a PIN combo. The employees just shrugged and said they couldn't fix it, then directed me toward the iPad table. I walked out thinking the employees were uneducated idiots.

When I went back this year to check out Android phones, however, the iPhones were off to the side and the staff was eager to demonstrate the Androids. One was a Galaxy Nexus owner and frequent MOD-er who talked my ear off about the glories of Android and openly dissed iPhones.

I'd say the tide was turning but it truly depends on the clerk you meet. FWIW Staples carries a much better line-up of tablets on display. I don't think they sell the iPad at all, so they take Android more seriously.

Upvote 0
Doesn't Apple have some sort of licensing agreement with their retailers for how the displays are to be kept? Like in the grocery store the soda supplier will maintain their shelves making sure product is stocked and looks attractive. I just assumed Apple did this as well to keep up appearances.

Whereas Android tablets are a free-for-all of devices. It's up to the individual store what they will stock and highlight.

When the Motorola Xoom was released last year I went to BB to check it out. I couldn't even unlock it because some customer had put in a PIN combo. The employees just shrugged and said they couldn't fix it, then directed me toward the iPad table. I walked out thinking the employees were uneducated idiots.

When I went back this year to check out Android phones, however, the iPhones were off to the side and the staff was eager to demonstrate the Androids. One was a Galaxy Nexus owner and frequent MOD-er who talked my ear off about the glories of Android and openly dissed iPhones.

I'd say the tide was turning but it truly depends on the clerk you meet. FWIW Staples carries a much better line-up of tablets on display. I don't think they sell the iPad at all, so they take Android more seriously.

Could be Apple has an arrangement with their retailers. I was in retail for many years and sometimes, a manufacturer has strict rues when it comes to how a seller can and cannot display products.

Hasselblad had no strict rules, but Eastman Kodak had many rules.

I learned how to sell and I was good at it. Perhaps BB should hire me? Hey BB, if you are listening, I can sell, sell, sell!

I had lunch with a few writers last night and a salesman at another store sold one of the writers a USB extension cord because, according to the sales person, without using one, their PNY Flash Drives would not work properly.

I spent last weekend looking for bike parts. There were no English speakers in either store I visited. I went to the local Quicky-Mart and asked the lone clerk the cost of something and I could not understand his broken English.

There was a time when sales people were actually trained. These days, I think sales people know very little. there was a time when they usually knew all about their products. Sales people were once friendly and knowledgeable sales people; these days, they just want to sell at any cost and they know little to nothing about their company, their ob or their products.

These days, I ask Mr. Google for help and then I either order from the Internet or find the cheapest price locally.

By the way, I purchase my Flash Drives from the local supermarket in the "Office Supplies" lane. Four dollars cheaper than BB.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones