A USB cable's a USB cable, right?Support

Last Updated:

1. AlkiDweller

AlkiDweller Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just got the EVO last Friday. It replaces a Samsung Moment that died a horrible death.

When I charge it with the cable that came with it, it charges fine. But if I charge it with the Moments cable, it doesn't charge. The battery icon is animated as if it's charging and Spare Parts reports that it's charging, but the battery level continues to fall as if it's not plugged in.

Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. Wadester

Wadester Well-Known Member

Could just be a defective cable with crossed wires somewhere. I've also noticed I've had better luck using thicker USB cables for charging rather than thinner ones.

3. AlkiDweller

Well, it is definitely a thinner cable, but I've been using it with the Moment since last November and never had a problem with it. Now, the first time I use it with the EVO... no charge.

4. CrashGordon

CrashGordon Well-Known Member

All cables are NOT created equal. Particularly today, with so much cheap junk coming in from China, it is very common to get cables that do not work or only work in some cases. The cable that came with my phone works fine, but an aftermarket cable I bought at Fry's will only charge--it will not connect my phone to my computer.

5. AlkiDweller

I guess you're right. This one is just the opposite. It'll mount the SD card but won't charge the phone.

6. AlkiDweller

It's not the cable. I replaced the Moment cable with the Evo cable and it doesn't charge.

The EVO cable charges it fine in my truck and it charges it fine on my other computer. There's something about this hub that doesn't deliver enough power for the EVO, but does for the Moment.

7. Wadester

Wadester Well-Known Member

Ah, yes. I have a power adapter for my USB 2.0 hub which supplies enough power for my WiFi, Bluetooth, External HD and Phone without a problem. If you have a self-powered hub, it might work with just the phone alone but it probably won't if you have another device plugged into it.

8. AlkiDweller

It's a powered hub and the Evo is the only thing plugged into it. I think it's time for a new hub.