A way to flash an official update from the phoneSupport

Last Updated:

1. toology

toology New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, first time poster here, needing help from experienced andriod users.

I got the Galaxy from my mother (she switched to another phone), but she lost the usb cable...

I found a way of sending files via WiFi to the sdcard, and also connected adb via WiFi, but I can't flash the new recovery because I'd have no wifi connection in fastboot.

Is there a way to flash an official update from the sdcard using stock recovery? I successfully entered recovery but there are no options, and I can't find a guide of any kind.

I tried buying the cable, but none of the shops had the official one, so finally I bought a third party cable that only charges the phone through usb, but windows gives me some error and doesn't recognize it as a device.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. informale

informale Well-Known Member

there probably is no way around it. you'll have to look for a cable that works.

3. chronodekar

chronodekar Well-Known Member

Don't risk the phone recklessly. Buy a new cable. They are pretty cheap anyways.

-chronodekar

4. toology

toology New Member This Topic's Starter

I agree with you, but Im completly stumped as to where to get a genuine samsung cable. Im going back to the shop today to ask for a replacement, I hope that only this cable is faulty. I always hated phone makers that dont use standard usb ports... :mad:

5. dryhte

dryhte Well-Known Member

It is completely bog standard micro usb port.

I've got a no-name micro usb cable, a samsung one, and a nokia one, and they all fit my i7500.

The cheapest I've seen is the Blackberry branded one in my local Fnac bookstore (9.99

6. chronodekar

7. informale

informale Well-Known Member

Don't compare India and Belgium in terms of prices )))

8. ppanagopo

ppanagopo Member

I used usb cable from my old nokia phone and did not have any problems...

9. chronodekar

Considering that we pay nearly the same for the full price of the phone I think it's fair to compare prices of accessories too. Heck, if you want to buy an iPhone around here you need to pay nearly Rs45000 + !! That's over 730 Euros! Well over the full price of the phone there.

Opinions may differ, as do prices from country to country, but the difference shouldn't be too much.

-chronodekar

10. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Sounds more like a driver issue to me. Perhaps if you expand on "some sort of error" we might be able to help?

11. dryhte

dryhte Well-Known Member

Actually, it's this sort of things (a bit of cable with two quite standards plugs on either side) that you're guaranteed to find at about cost price (give or take a

12. chronodekar

13. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Go into any official shop and they'll charge you 10 Euros. Go into a market and they'll charge you 5 Euro. Buy it online and it'll be 2 Euro.

It's nothing to do with the country, just which rip-off merchant you choose to purchase it from!

14. chronodekar

I think I prefer to buy in bread. ;) More edible that way. :p

-chronodekar

15. 7500

7500 Well-Known Member

Rs 120 ??
    it cost only Rs 40 @ nehru place Delhi.
    And must be costing equivalent to Rs 4 in china (father and mother of the cable) .

16. maurinet

maurinet Well-Known Member

If you have already flashed the recovery, you can "download" the necessary files to your phone's sd card using EStrongs File Explorer and without having to use any cable whatsoever.

ES File Explorer has the ability to connect to your Windows network via wifi, so you can just browse to the directory where you keep the files in your computer (update.zip, gapps.zip, theme.zip, etc), copy and paste them on the root of your sd card. Then apply them through recovery.

17. Willd

Willd Member

Well, you can't flash amss through the recovery, and thus it is not possible to completly restore the phone..