A way to stop update notifications for a single app?

Last Updated:

1. chemswede

chemswede New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I tried searching for the answer on both google and multiple forumns but the key words of 'Stop, app, update, notifications' tends to find a lot of hits or none at all if in quotes.

I found this question posted perfectly at the droidforums.net but with no answer so I thought I would post it here with the hope that someone can find an answer.

All this is to say.... is there a way I can stop the market from telling me that App XYZ has an update, but keep update notifications working for the other apps?

Thanks for any help you guys can come up with.

Advertisement
  2. drowe

drowe Well-Known Member

I have exactly the same issue. I've uninstalled, re-installed from backup and it shows up in the market with an update. I'd like the market to stop telling me this app is updated, but others are. In case it makes a difference, I have a stock, unrooted, 2.1 Droid.

Thanks,
    David

3. Fini

Fini New Member

I'd also like to know if there is an answer to this. I have exact same situation as in the copied question in first post.

Anyone????

4. edbro

edbro Well-Known Member

Bump.

Is there any answer to this? One of my apps just went adware with no new functionality. I don't want to upgrade and I don't want constant notifications.

5. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

I don't think there is an option for this (although I could be wrong). If there have been ads added, I will say that in my opinion, the respectful thing to do is allow those adds. I assume this app was free? It's only fair to get the dev paid for it (especially when it's not out of your pocket). Just my two cents! And for what it's worth I am not a dev or affiliated with one in any way, shape, or form.

6. TentacooWape

TentacooWape New Member

Before you reinstall the app, you need to clear the Android Market cache. Since this is a protected directory unfortunately, you're going to need root.

Once you root your phone, task-kill Market, then delete all the files in /data/data/com.android.vending/cache. You can do this with a file manager program that understands root, or shell access by running "adb shell" and saying "su".

Once you do this, you should be able to reinstall the app from backup, and it should no longer appear in your Market Downloads list.

This worked on my Droid running Froyo, stock except for being rooted.

And yes, devs have the right to infest their app with adware, and I have the right to not update to it, and not be incessantly bugged about updating it.

7. Droid Fireman

Droid Fireman Active Member

You can simply long press on the app and check the option labeled "never update this app". I use appbrain and its remarkably simple. I just tried it in the market and that option is not there. However, there is an option to delete the updates.