• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

eyalh99

Lurker
Aug 2, 2012
Hi Team,
I'm using my A100 as a Car Tablet (it's in the dash and working) but the problem is that the GPS is acting on me and looking if someone else is using it like that and has GPS issues or any recommendations for external GPS to use with it

Thanks

The GPS antenna in the Iconias apparently are somewhat obstructed, so the internal GPS units tend to work better only in ideal conditions. A dashboard installation may be further blocking paths to the antenna.

I have a 5 year old version of this BT GPS receiver: Amazon.com: Qstarz BT-Q818 66-Channel Bluetooth GPS Receiver: GPS & Navigation

It has the best reception and fastest acquisition of any GPS I've ever used, and the battery life is exceptional.

I tested my old Q818 with my tablet and it worked perfectly. That's no guarantee that the newer version will work the same, but the quality of the unit I have is very high, and I suspect the newer ones work just as well.

Another benefit of using an external BT GPS is avoiding the very severe ICS built-in GPS driver file leak described here: http://androidforums.com/acer-iconia-tab-a500/539479-rollback-ics.html#post4526726. That problem does not occur with external GPS devices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones