a2sd/app2sd still taking up space in internal memory.

Last Updated:

1. BriEE

BriEE Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, I've setup the ext3 partition and it does show the symbolic link to the sd card.

Also using quickinfo to check the space of the partitions and internal memory.

I tested by installing google earth (20meg) and it seems like it does take space from the a2sd partition but also reduces my internal memory space as well.

What or why does it do this? I only have about 110 megabytes left.

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

A2SD+ installs apps and associated dalvik cache to the ext partition however, internal memory us still used by app cache. There is nothing that can be done about it. I'm at 79 MB and I am not worried

3. BriEE

app cache? But I didn't even run google earth and it allocates some stuff...

I'm not looking to install 500 apps but I don't want to be running out of space anytime, not sure if the resizing internal ram is worth it.

4. SUroot

Yes it will allocate space. Why don't you wait and see how you get on before making any rash decisions like attempting to play with internal memory partitions?

Rooting and custom roms- very hard to brick desire. Messing with internal memory- easy to brick. Bricking is permanent

5. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

a2sd cachesd, however a class 2 or 4 SD card can present some problems (but my class 4 8GB hasn't had a hiccup yet).

Which is why I'm not bothering to S-OFF my Desire, there's people doing the repartitioning to Nexus style with their CM6 and each update they have to do it over, it's messing with the boot.

6. teppic74

teppic74 Well-Known Member

I think that Google Earth caches a fair chunk of data, none of which will be on your sdcard.

Note that using up internal storage is NOT a problem. It won't reduce the performance of your phone.

You only need to be concerned if you're getting very close to full (because apps need space as mentioned).

7. BriEE

So what's the acceptable limit then? It says I have 148MB, and from a fresh Rom install, I have 120 or so free.

8. SUroot

Worry if you get to 30.

9. teppic74

teppic74 Well-Known Member

If you have over 50 it's basically wasted. Below 20-30 and things may start to get tight.

10. steve12345

steve12345 Member

I have this problem.

I only have 10.77MB of space left on my phone (Internal phone storage).

I did the mod where you can move all apps across to the SD card, not just the ones specified by developers.
    I have been through and moved across every app (Other than a couple of 50kb widgets and the ones greyed out .. Maps, Mail etc) and I am still left with 10.77MB.

I can only assume that it is cached data that is using up my space, or is there anything else it could be?

Do you have any suggestions?

11. SUroot

That mod is not this method. This requires a2SD+, only on rooted phones. This is better because more of the app is moved (dalvik cache) I believe.

There is a thread about the mod install location you have used on here somewhere. That may be a better place to enquire about your issue