1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

A2SD (Apps To SD)

1. The0Code

The0Code Well-Known Member

I AM RUNNING VILLAINROM 13

Can anyone explain how to use A2SD on VR13 for a completely new beginner to it.

Planning on getting a new SD card cause my phone memory is full and my 8gb sd card isn't far behind so I need to get a bigger sd but before I do I want to know exactly how I'm going to do this. Thanks.

Advertisement
    :
  2. The0Code

Excuse me for bumping but I have about a week to decide whether or not to order a new sd card so I'd appreciate some help, thanks :eek:
  3. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

I've no experience with VR13 but it should function like any other A2SD-enabled ROM. Assuming you have already flashed VR13 to your handset and it's working:

1. Mount as removeable drive and copy contents of the memory card to your PC.
    2. Power off and replace existing card with your new one.
    3. Boot into recovery.
    4. Choose the option to partition the memory card. Create an EXT2 partition for A2SD (512MB should be ample) and a FAT32 partition for storage (the remainder of the capacity). Set SWAP to 0 (if offered the choice) as it's not advised.
    5. Still in recovery, mount the sdcard ("MS-USB toggle" in Amon_RA, in the "Advanced" menu in ClockworkMod) and copy the contents you previously backed up to PC (step 1) back onto the memory card.
    6. Unmount the card and reboot. This may take some minutes to complete fully depending on how many apps you have installed, as they will be moved during initialisation.
    7. Check your available internal memory; it should now have noticeably increased. :)
    Anderson and The0Code like this.
  4. The0Code

5. Slug

I've not tried one myself, but a 32GB SDHC card should work as the Hero follows the required spec.

If that's a genuine 32GB card then it's a bargain, as that's around half the usual online price. It's most likely a Class 2 device though, at that price.
  6. The0Code

If it is a class 2, A2SD still works on it though right? Don't really know the difference...but hopefully won't matter too much but I'll decide whether or not to order based on your reply. Thanks again.
  7. Anderson

Anderson Well-Known Member

Why do you need 2 SD cards? :confused:
  8. Slug

Because the OP stated in his opening post,

It will work fine, but data is read more quickly from "faster" cards. As external memory is already "slower" than the internal you may notice a slight performance hit when opening an app for the first time. Nothing major, but something to be aware of nonetheless.
    Anderson and The0Code like this.
  9. The0Code

Alrite, I ordered a slightly more expensive sd, hopefully this one is REALLY class 6. Don't want any speed issues. Thanks for the help, Slug, I appreciate it.
  10. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I think the class is more important if you move the dalvik cache (or so I've heard). For lack of a better explanation, an installed app consists of the .apk and data stored in the dalvik cahce.

Moving the cache along with the .apk to the sdcard is optional. You gain more internal memory back, but you're at risk of speed loss. I have a class 6 though and there's no noticeable loss when moving both.
  11. The0Code

Thanks Xyro, I guess I'll move both when the card arrives in like 3-4 days. On a side note, all the worries of "not enough space" are finally over...
  12. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

More likely to be a 16GB (or even an 8GB) card with frigged internals to look like a 32GB one. Best of all, you wont notice until a few months down the line when you fill it over its actual capacity. Chances are the new data will get written all over existing data (addresses wrapping round) resulting in a totally corrupted card.

Of course, most people will blame some piece of software or a new ROM theyve just installed.

NEVER BUY CONDOMS OR MEMORY CARDS FROM EBAY.
  13. daveybaby

The class of a memory card refers to its *write* speed. Read speeds tend to be similar (i.e. stupidly fast compared to write speed) regardless of the card's class.
  14. The0Code

I get everything from ebay >.> Some of us can't pay 70 pounds for an sd card because we like to SAVE money...plus, I can always return it if it's a false deal. Heck, I even got my Hero from ebay and if it's a fake, it must be a darn good one to be able to do the stuff I've done with it lol.
  15. Xyro

It's not that there's anything wrong with eBay or the stuff sold on there, it's just that sd cards are notorious for having a high number of fakes.

It's just something you need to be careful of :)
  16. The0Code

Speak of the devil, the sd just arrived. I popped it in and according to my phone it has 31gb total space. Looks like I was right :p Gonna start the A2SD process now.
  17. The0Code

First problem, my only options when I go to "Partition sdcard" are: partition SD, repair SD:ext, SD:ext2 to ext3, and SD:ext3 to ext4. What do I do first?
  18. daveybaby

It's not ebay in general, it's just memory cards from unknown suppliers (whether theyre on ebay or something like amazon marketplace). Fakes are rife. Hopefully yours is ok though, its not all of them that are fakes, but its common enough that i'm willing to pay a little extra to get one from a reputable supplier.

And as a heads up, just cause it reports it has 32GB, doesnt mean it actually has that much. You cant be absolutely sure until you fill it past the halfway mark & check for data corruption.
  19. daveybaby

Partition SD. This should let you create your ext2 and FAT partitions as slug described.

I wouldnt recommend converting to ext3 or ext4. Those filesystems are massively overpowered for a phone OS, and arent really suitable for simple flash media like SD cards.
  20. The0Code

Ok, followed all the directions and everything seems aite, one question though. From now on, when I install apps, do they go to SD directly or do I have to do something else..?
  21. Xyro

No, everything happens automatically now. Unlike official apps2sd, this method moves absolutely everything - you can't not install apps to the sdcard whilst using it.
  22. The0Code

Another problem...I keep trying to put my music and gameboid stuff back on sd but when i unplug the phone from comp and try to load the music and gameboid files, they're not there. And also, when I plug it back to comp, those particular folders are empty. And is it normal for a class 6 sd card to take 40mins-1hr to transfer 4gb from one sd to that class 6?
  23. The0Code

Can I delete everything on my new sd....and i'm starting to suspect the a2sd doesnt work cause when I put back my old sd, my apps were still there...
  24. The0Code

Alrite, A2SD definitely not working, starting to suspect the SD card is corrupted and return but I need to confirm that this isn't something that's happened before and it's not in my fault so I would really appreciate a reply before Thursday cause I'll be travelling then so it'll be too late. To save you the trouble of reading multiple posts, my dilemmas include:

1.) A2SD most likely failed cause I stuck in my old sd and my apps are still there.
    2.) Whenever I add files/folders to the new sd, they disappear when I try to utilize them on my phone or when I reinsert the SD card to comp via sd adapter.
    3.) I'm starting to suspect the SD might be corrupted or something but I noticed that when I first added my files to the sd, I could access a handful of them. And also, I'm sure that it's not a space fraud issue because I apparently used 10gb of the sd card before I started attempting to add the rest of the files that hadnt been added properly. 10gb SD cards dont exist from what I know.

Really appreciate a reply asap to decide whether or not to return the SD and seek a new one. Running out of time, thanks again :)

Edit: It deletes the files from the folders on its own for some reason..
  25. Xyro

Hmm... Here's what I would try.

- Put your old, working card in.
    - Backup everything you would want to keep post factory reset, apps, SMS, contacts etc.
    - Do a nand+ext backup, which means you're covered if this doesn't work.
    - Switch to the new card whilst staying in recovery.
    - Run the partitioning tool: SWAP: 0, EXT: (Up to you, I use 500), FAT: The remainder.
    - Copy your backup files from the old card to the new card, as well as all of your other media files and so on, to fill up the card.
    - Do a factory reset and wipe the dalvik cache
    - Boot the phone and restore all your backups, including apps.

Then see if it works properly. It should, since you're starting from a clean slate.