A500 strange power issueSupport

1. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker Moderator

I've had my A500 now for 3 or 4 weeks. I bought a used, but mint condition, 32GB version on ebay and had it a week before I rooted and put ICS on it and am loving it so far.

I have, however, had the tablet turn off completely a couple of times this evening. I only notice when I pick it up and press the power to wake the screen and nothing... I have to long hold the power to turn on completely.

I have had a look at the battery graph and there are some gaps - obviously the time it takes me to notice that the tablet's turned off (will try and get a screenshot and upload it!)

I have already tried removing recently installed apps and thought it had solved the issue, but it happened again. I have already seen this thread "http://androidforums.com/acer-iconia-tab-a500/496324-tablet-shuts-off-itself-sometimes.html" and am not sure if this is the same issue...

Would anyone be able to offer some help? I would rather not do a reset of the tablet, but feel that this could be inevitable! :(

Advertisement
  2. MahaloCat

MahaloCat Well-Known Member

What version of ICS are you Running...sounds like the Sleep of death issue.
    Are you Oc'd? How high?

Give me some details and I can probably help you.
    D-U-R-X and weddle like this.
  3. D-U-R-X

Alright mate!

I'm on Taboonay's 1.0d3 (or whatever... can't remember off the top of my head, but got the link from on here) and I'm not overclocked at all.

All was ok until recently I changed the sleep time to never and then when I put it back to 2 mins, I had the problem a couple of times. Putting sleep back to never seems to have sorted it, but I don't wanna have to leave the screen on all the time.

Cheers!
    D
  4. D-U-R-X

Right... here's a picture of what was going on... I haven't had the issue since I set sleep to never, but I don't really want to leave it like that.

[​IMG]

As you can see... there are some times where the power just isn't there... I am probably going to flash another ROM on at some point soon... should this solve the issue or is it hardware related?!?
  5. weddle

weddle Well-Known Member

That would be the SOD (sleep of death) I believe. Im using taboonay 3.0.1 and had the same issue. All I did to fix it was flash the update to the ROM (3.0 to 3.0.1) and also flashed the wifi fix (you'll need to search xda forums for it as I'm horrible with linking sorry) and that solved my SOD problem and also fixed the wifi bars so they actually show that you're connected and the signal level

Edit: sorry mahalo lol I should probably read posts entirely. Now that I did I see you knew what it was. And can definitely give more info than me :)
    D-U-R-X likes this.
  6. D-U-R-X

Thanks weddle... I will check it out.

Am thinking of flashing a different ROM soon anyway!
  7. D-U-R-X

Is the sleep of death issue something to be aware of on all ROM's or only some?
  8. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Well-Known Member

FWIW, I have seen my A500 do this perhaps 3 or 4 times since I got it on Xmas Day. I don't recall if it started before I rooted (didn't do that right away) but for the most part I have been running Thor's HC 14.2, so it has happened at least 2 or 3 times on that ROM. Each time I have to hold the power button until it vibrates, then it boots up cold.

Also, I don't know if this is at all related, but when I first pick the tablet up off the charger cable (charges overnight) it never wakes the display when I disconnect the cable. After that, whenever I charge or disconnect the cable the rest of the day it DOES turn on the display. But never on the very first disconnect of the day. I just presumed it is some 'nature of the beast' quirk and didn't think much about it. But if there is a known issue with problems when sleeping, this may be a part of it.
    D-U-R-X likes this.