Aargh! Why does this forum make searching such a pain?

1. Big Swede

Big Swede Member

I just tried to search for "gps app" and it wouldn't even try it, apparently 3-letter words are 'too short' to be worthy of a search. As if searching for "Global Positioning System Application" will do any better. :mad:

Advertisement
  2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Welcome to the forums, Big Swede!
    I moved this to the Suggestion Box for admin to see and help you out. :)
    Big Swede likes this.
  3. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

I've added those for indexing but it may take some time for that to happen. Anything under four characters I have to specify individually what to allow. So, if there are others relevant to us, feel free to suggest.
    ardchoille, ocnbrze and Big Swede like this.
  4. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Sorry I don't know the specifics, but I've heard from other staff that searching via Google can be more accurate.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  5. dylane

dylane Well-Known Member

To do this just type your search term into Google (or pretty much any other search engine) followed by "site:http://androidforums.com"
    ardchoille, sammyz, Atma and 5 others like this.
  6. Big Swede

Big Swede Member

Thanks everybody, I appreciate your help!
    ocnbrze likes this.
  7. Big Swede

Big Swede Member

Tried "gps app" site search again today, didn't get the "too short" warning, but it said no matches were found. That can't be right. I looked at my search parameters and they seem OK, not sure what is wrong. Maybe I'll try the google search method.
  8. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

With over 1.3 million and a gajillion posts (yep, that's the official number lol) it'll likely take a bit for the indexing to catch up.

Thanks for your patience! :)
  9. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Well-Known Member

Thanks for this ^ I maybe have read this method in the past but have forgotten it since (I'm not very internet search engine literate). Bookmarked this time. ;)

If it is not in a Tips and Tricks thread or Guide on this forum somewhere I think it should be added as a tip in the FAQs or something? Maybe over here? (side note: the hide/show tags don't seem to be functioning in this thread - I recall this being a widespread issue sometime ago - or maybe there were photos linked that a host site lost)

It has been a minor annoyance for a long while that it seems I have to log in just to execute a search, especially when I am on the go. And frustrating that a search cannot have strings that are 3 characters or less. The mobile and tech world is an acronym soup. Most of which are 3 characters or less. The list could really get quite extensive.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  10. Stucky

Stucky Well-Known Member

Can you add "PIN" to the database please. Forgotten mine and the forum won't search on it to help me find a topic to reset it.
  11. Phases

Yeah can do.
  12. Big Swede

Big Swede Member

I tried the google search method, and it worked pretty well, found some decent info.
    Unforgiven and Slug like this.
  13. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

apk, usb and adb don't get recognised either.
    Phases likes this.
  14. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

And Mac
    Phases likes this.
  15. Stucky

Stucky Well-Known Member

And AVG or tab, ta
  16. Phases

Added!
  17. davoid