About 3g icon on top bar.Support

Last Updated:

1. DemoniWaari

DemoniWaari Member This Topic's Starter

I was just wondering that what does it actually mean? Does it mean that I'm connected to the internet right now, and thus it costs? Or just simply that I'm able to connect to the internet if I need to? Yeah I just got this two days ago =)

Advertisement
  2. Jedii

Jedii Well-Known Member

Its your current type of connection.

3G=good data network
    1x=decent voice network (data works, not as fast).

Just a type of service.

DemoniWaari likes this.
  3. DemoniWaari

DemoniWaari Member This Topic's Starter

Ah nice, thanks.

4. kasper_h

kasper_h Member

Are you sure it only means type of network? I actually use APNDroid to kill my 3G/GPRS connection all the time to save battery, but if the 3G symbol only means that your are on a 3G network (not being connected to the internet), I don't need to disconnect all the time (I've got a data plan, so the cost of using 3G does not worry me :)). I thought the 3G+2 arrows-icon mean you're actively connected to the internet...

5. Jedii

Jedii Well-Known Member

OP was asking about the 3G. Not about the moving arrows (or the "d" for dormant). That is why i replied with the simple answer that i did.

But, yes. You are correct about the arrows. It shows that data of some sort is being transmitted.

6. kasper_h

kasper_h Member

Yeah, I know, but I never see "just" 3G, I always see two arrow next to them: if I don't have any apps connecting to the internet the arrows are grey, if the apps do connect to the internet, I get a red/green arrow and the 3G is replaced by a H (HDSPA). What I would like to know is whether the phone uses more battery if the 3G+2grey arrows are shown, compared to 3G/GPRS switched off (usind APNDroid)...

7. robotmachine

robotmachine New Member

Yes please I would too like to know the answer to this. My battery is terrible, it takes forever to charge and if you're using it at all it slows the recharging down massively.

Regarding the 3G+2 red/green arrows symbol, I also get the H+2 arrows and an E+2 arrows. Don't know what the E means at all, its not in my manual!

8. Jedii

Jedii Well-Known Member

H probably means HSPA or HSPA+. (another version of 3G/data)

E means EDGE. (1x/voice service with slow data)

9. kasper_h

kasper_h Member

I've done some testing with a battery app.

If 3G is on but inactive (3G+grey arrows), I loose 1-1.5% charge/hour (10% in 7.5 hours)
    If 3G is on and active (H+colored arrows), but screen is off, I loose 7% charge/hour
    If 3G is on and active, and screen is on, I loose 12% charge/hour

If 3G is off (APNDroid), I loose 0.5% charge/hour (2% in 4 hours)

In airplane mode, I loose <1% overnight (8 hours)

This is nothing scientific, I tried it twice on one (relatively new) phone....YMMV