? about charging phoneGeneral

Last Updated:

1. usedtobeanyer

usedtobeanyer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've had this phone for about a month and I just ordered one for my wife. It just arrived at home as she was headed out so she didn't get the chance to charge it up. My question is, is it necessary to do a full charge before she starts playing with it? And if so, how long does a full charge take? If she doesn't do a full charge, will it negatively effect future battery life? Thanks.

She's not using it now but I know she's going to want to as soon as she gets home!

Advertisement
  2. nomunk

nomunk Well-Known Member

me personally always run the battery down when I get a new phone, dont charge it first, run the battery down till its dead then do a full charge, and my phone takes 4.5 hours to charge to full, wish my phone would charge much faster, I got my Eris 2 weeks ago so hopefully it gets better

3. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

+1

4. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

The phrasing in the manual indicates that you need to charge the battery to use the phone, not that you MUST charge the battery BEFORE using the phone.
    I'd say she's good to go (as if any of us believe she's not already playing with her new toy)

1.3 Charging the Battery
    New batteries are not charged when shipped. Before you start using
    your phone, you need to install and charge the battery. Some batteries
    perform best after several full charge/discharge cycles.
    To charge the battery
    1. Connect the USB connector of the Charging Cable to the sync
    connector on the bottom of your phone.
    2. Connect the other end of the Charging Cable to the AC Charger.
    3. Select the AC Charger plug adapter that is appropriate for your
    locale and insert it into the AC Charger.
    AC charger
    adapter plug
    4. Plug in the AC Charger to an electrical outlet to start charging
    the battery.
    Note Only the AC adapter and USB cable provided with your phone must be
    used to charge the battery.

5. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

New battery technology is nice. No real need to run through cycles at all. Charge it as often or as little as you like. The only thing I've read that will hurt these batteries is if you totally drain it.

Note; when your phone says the battery is dead and shuts down, it's not completely dead yet. It does that so you don't completely drain it.

6. iAndroiid

iAndroiid Well-Known Member

i always heard it's bad to let it die all the way down since it's lithium ion batterys but i did let mine die down 3 times and full charge even though people told me not to.

7. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

You probly didn't drain it completely. After your phone shut off you'd probly have to turn it on a few more times to suck all the juice out. A few charge cycles like that won't hurt it, but it's really not needed. Alot of people are set in thier ways though. Heck, even when you buy a phone, the rep tells you to do it.

8. iAndroiid

iAndroiid Well-Known Member

true. it's like when people buy brand new cars some think you must drive 1,600 before gunning it while others say 500. some say 1,000 and some say 2,000 while others say 3,000. Then there are the guys who say drive it like you stole it right off the showroom floor. that's what i did with my car ran that shit hard since the day i got it. lol

9. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

True, I visit a few car forums too, and it's always a debate when brought up.

10. tgulch22

tgulch22 Well-Known Member

You do NOT have to only use the charger that came with your phone. ANY mini USB charger will work and fit...

11. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I think he was quoting the manual, not making a rule.

12. usedtobeanyer

usedtobeanyer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

For what it's worth, my wife got her phone on Wednesday. We both did a full charge on Wed night. Yesterday, we both powered up our phones about the same time. When I got home from work I checked her battery, it was just below half way down. Mine was at the same level. I checked the up time, she was at 20+%, mine was at 10%. By the end of the night, my battery was in the orange level but hers was not. So she used her phone more than I did but her battery held out longer than mine. Interesting. So much for the theory that the phone needs a few full charges for the battery to be optimized.