About GMail?

1. tsg9292

tsg9292 Member

So the Inspire will be my first android phone after being an iPhone user for the past several years. I use hotmail as my main email account and don't believe that switching to gmail is possible.

My question is what all is gmail used for on the phone besides contacts and email? Is there any reason I NEED a gmail account?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Androidjunkee

Androidjunkee Well-Known Member

The Android Market will ask you to verify your gmail account when purchasing apps if I remember correctly.

Plus its nice to be able to sync your contacts with gmail in case you lose your phone or something.
  3. yes without a GMAIL account your phone wont work correctly, no contacts, no apps, no email no nothing lol
  4. Chapp1e

Chapp1e Well-Known Member

just get a gmail account and then run a third party app for emails.
  5. tsg9292

tsg9292 Member

Would forwarding my hotmail messages to my gmail work? Or is that a no go...
  6. thoffland

thoffland Well-Known Member

Gmail does import other inboxes, so you can choose to have your Hotmail go to Gmail and then set that account as the default for sending. Export your contacts from Hotmail, bring them into your gmail account and you should be up and running quite smoothly.

Here's a link that describes how to set it up: How to Collect Mail from Other POP Accounts in Gmail - About Email