• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help About Incredible Signal Strength

at my work here the building is lead lined because it was built for the manufacturing of electronics. However, I was able to at least send txt messages with my Dare in a certain spot on my desk, but the Inc just wont do it. Also it bounces between 0 and -99dBm......was hoping for a just enough better service out of this than my Dare so I could make calls. But...the building is lead lined so I can't be too picky.

Funny thing is only CDMA networks fail in here....AT&T and Sprint have great service. Must be something about the frequency of the blg/lining combo being 90

Upvote 0
I've also noticed that the bars are not consistent with the dBm value. One night I had no bars at -90 and I had two bars the next day with -90. I've also had two Incredibles next two each other that were both at -90. One had no bars and the other had between one and two. Its seems that more is going on in the "bar" algorithm than just a linear dBm to # of bars equation.

More evidence that shows that the bars don't tell you much with the Incredible.

Tim

Upvote 0
i have an interesting observation about signal strength vs number of bars on my incredible. my dbm will be right around 80 (which is pretty good) but only show two or one bar of on the signal meter. however, when i make a phone call or start browsing the bars will shoot all the way up to the max.

so i'm thinking the number of bars may also represent the broadcast strength of the phone when the connection is actually in use. if you get low bars while the line is in use then that's probably the time to be concerned.

Upvote 0
My incredible is quite horrible. Such a fantastic phone, but my reception crap. Going back to my iphone tomorrow, as much as I hate to say it.

Couldn't even make a call, or search for the local verizon store number while on the golf course, to discuss cancelling.

102 dB in the office. never had a dropped call on AT&T here.

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat as some of you - I'll get -70s to -80s at work and at home I'm -80s to -90s. I have yet to have a failed or dropped call but something I'm looking at is the call quality. I don't know if I can call it "bad" but on many calls so far there are little "blips". Not exactly static but it's like half static or distortion for less than a second. Sometimes it will happen while someone is taking and I will miss something. Kind of sounds like the person is speaking like a robot for that one second.

Hasn't been happening on EVERY call but I'd say 75% of them so far in different locations. Anyone else with this? It's hard to describe accurately.

Upvote 0
Funny thing is only CDMA networks fail in here....AT&T and Sprint have great service.

That funny, where I'm working now(a concrete building with no windows), Verizon and AT&T get great service and Sprint gets NO service. That's why I moved from Sprint to Verizon. I REALLY wanted the Sprint Evo with the WiFi Hotspot. But, since I spend about 9 to 12 hours at work, I need my phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones