• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

About LG G Stylo internal's storage

Keep me informed of your progress. This is absolutely ridiculous. At least you know more of what you are talking about, I don't unfortunately. I knew it couldn't be an sd issue but good luck telling a Boost employee that, they look at you kind of clueless. She has the same exact phone and got the update and is having none of these issues, so I'm not sure what that means. I am anxious to hear what you come up with as I will probably have to do the same thing but doubt I will know how to!

Upvote 0
When you go to the storage page and want to format your sd you are supposed to have two format choices. One choice is to format your sd card as internal storage, the other is to format your sd card as portable storage. We have ONLY one choice, Format as portable storage. This is the problem. The carriers Sprint/Boost/Virgin have modified MM to NOT allow us to use adaptive storage, hence our problem . I think we might have to send our phones to LG and get them to put Lollypop back or LG might have to make the carriers make an update. Or since we are such a minority of users from Sprint/Boost/Virgin , they may just blow us off. Either way we have a crippled situation, and unless we find a way to complain we have what we have.

Upvote 0
Well this absolutely stinks. I HOPE that enough of us make a stink for something to happen, but like you said we are in the minority and thus pretty much stuck. I cannot believe I went out and spent money on an sd card that is pretty much useless and we cannot do anything about it. I posted on the facebook page but they all acted like they had never heard of this problem, when I know there was someone else besides you that was having the same issue. Unbelievable.

Reactions: jmacie
Upvote 0
I'm back to LG and they are saying they cannot do anything. Since I bought my phone at Virgin Mobile and have changed service providers, I can't appeal to them. You on the other hand can appeal to Boost tech support. I can only hope that someone finds a way to root the phone and that the 3rd party apps that only work with root will help my case. It's not going to be an easy ride for us

Upvote 0
I wonder if that feature is taken out of the T-Mobile and metroPCS versions too...

It's kinda shady and stupid AF that Google would implement a new feature and then a manufacture takes it out and away.

But then again planned obsolescence is a very old feature that needs to be removed asap.

The only light of day in a new hope, is that maybe when @GameTheory developes MM for whichever variant we'll see the missing features since it'd prolly be based off Android Opened Source Project maybe.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm still pushing for info about adoptable storage. I found an entry on reddit. It seems this problem is a system wide LG decision to disable. This reddit states that with root (which we don't have access to yet on Stylo) we can do a build.prop edit to enable adaptable storage. So we'll see what we'll see!! https://www.reddit.com/r/LGG3/comments/3zrccg/quick_guide_enable_sd_as_internal_storage_on_new/
So surprised LG would disable such a significant new feature. But glad there is an easy fix once root is achieved.

Will be interested to know just how much adoptable storage will let you move over. If it's less than Link2SD I will probably stay on Lollipop -- unless the app's developer puts out a new version compatible with MM. That would be ideal.

Reactions: jmacie
Upvote 0
Someone, I think from HowardsForum told me that the adoptable storage is ext4, so it should have no limit. I say should, like I know anything. I'm trying to get (brib) the Korean guy that got us root on Lollypop to rescue us. We are dead in the water. If I get his attention on XDA I may be soliciting donations for him everywhere soon

Upvote 0
I'm having all the same issues on my LG G Style from Cricket (AT&T Prepaid) which I've had for less than 2 months. From what I can tell from my online research and observations is that the system data files are seriously bloated to start with and then progressively increase in size deminishing the remaining available storage capacity (taking up currently 5.49GB). Only deleting apps (which I've already done but now need to do more which bites into apps I actually use) and moving everything possible over to the SD card makes it usable, but then gradually system data files increase again from normal use forcing more app deletion as the only option. I continuously clear the cache which works only for a few minutes until it again says storage is full and I can't even receive more text messages. It's showing less than 10MB free!

The only hope is that the Cricket store reps say that it is an LG problem that will hopefully be corrected when they issue a software update by Feb 1st.

The only other thing I can think to do is repurpose my old ZTE ZMaxx phone from Metro which used Lollipop and had plenty of storage although other features sucked!

Holding my breath... I think I will complain to LG also. This is ridiculous and irresponsible of them!

Upvote 0
I have a work around to get adoptable storage to work on my boost LG Stylo running MM 6.0 without rooting the phone.

1) put your phone in developer mode.
settings->about phone->software info-> tap build number 7 times.

2) enable USB debug
setting->developer options->USB debugging.

3) install ADB
http://lifehacker.com/the-easiest-way-to-install-androids-adb-and-fastboot-to-1586992378
or just go here!
15 second ADB Installer,
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=48915118#post48915118
see "picture guide" if adb device doesn't install.

also your phone should ask you to authorize the computer.

4) open a windows command prompt and go to the adb directory. c:\adb

5) see if you can find your phone type "adb devices" you should see something like the following.
List of device attached
LGLS7709e27dc19 device

6) follow this guide for the workaround.
https://www.reddit.com/r/lgg4/comments/3z1bfi/enable_adoptable_storage_on_your_lg_g4_stock_no/

or send the following commands the windows terminal.
adb shell sm list-disks
adb shell sm list-volumes all
adb shell sm set-force-adoptable true
adb shell sm partition disk:179,64 private
adb shell sm set-force-adoptable false
adb shell sm list-volumes all

Upvote 0
stanton renna,
Wow! Great find, and Thanks for the Windows commands!
This is really wonderful. I've done the commands and all looks well, I have to do some checking, but WILL report back!
So, is it just changing the build.prop for the sd card installed to true, then formatting to (ext4) I presume, then changing the build prop back? Anyway, very cool! I'll keep checking and report any maladies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello, I have the Boost Mobile version of the Stylo 2. Although there is more memory, I do prefer to store all that I can on the sd card. I have been through any and all available ways to attempt setting storage and tried to transfer stuff. There is no button in the settings anywhere. No apps at all allow me to move them. Nor do pictures I transferred them in a file manager. I really want to put non system apps there as well. I'm hoping that since most of the posts above are a bit ago, that maybe there is a simple update or maybe a program that even I can understand how to do. Lol. You guys could probably walk me through a fix. I pray. Thanks and God Bless.

Upvote 0
Is there a non-root solution for the MM Portable storage issue (at least on Boost) where it will only let you "Move to SD" to around 500MB and then it says "Not enough storage space" when in reality there is 25GB available on SD card?

Short answer: free up SD space. Your manufacturer has probably set a limit in the OS which tells it not to move apps anymore after the card is full to a certain arbitrary amount which is unrelated to its actual formatted capacity.

Long answer:
I have recently purchased the Alcatel Pixi 4 and put a 128GB SD on it. I was happy to find that the card worked just fine despite the device being advertised as supporting only up to 32GB cards.

After formating the 128GB SD as internal memory and moving my songs onto it, I found I could no longer move apps. I was using up 35GB, but still had plenty of room. Android, on the other hand, would keep telling me there was not enough space.

So I figured: what if there is a software limitation that will make Android think there's not enough space because the phone simply wasn't meant for more than its advertised capacity?

So, what I did was to go ahead and delete my songs leaving just some 4GB used up. Voila! I could successfully move my apps again.

Apparently, the manufacturer is able to set a limit on how much data you can move to the SD. Or, rather, how much space on the card can be filled up until the system will no longer allow you to move more apps. And that limit is arbitrary having nothing to do with the formatted capacity of your card. All you have to do is to keep yourself restrained to that limit. For my Alcatel Pixi 4, that seems to be 32GB.

Upvote 0
I have a work around to get adoptable storage to work on my boost LG Stylo running MM 6.0 without rooting the phone.

This looks like the perfect solution to my problems. I also have an LG Stylo and long story short ~ I'm having the exact issues as everyone else here. Not being able to format for Adaptive Storage, getting inaccurate low storage messages, no adaptive storage format option, can't move apps to the micro sd ~ even though there is plenty of room, etc.

But I'm also having a problem getting my phone to connect to my computer so I can run the ADB software. I installed ADB on my PC. Enabled Developer Mode and USB Debugging on the phone, then opened ADB and ran the "cd c:\adb" and "adb devices" command. But no devices were found. Did I neglect to do something to make it visible?

I'm running Android 6.0 with 8GB factory storage and an 8GB micro SD on the Boost Mobile network.

Also would like you opinion on this.

1 ~~~ Would a factory reset ( prior to running ADB ) possibly make things go more smoothly or repair bugs that might be preventing it from completing?

2 ~~~ Should I root this phone to remove all the damn bloatware that my service provider has preinstalled to best utilize what storage I do have? And if so, best tutorial please.

Thank you all for the great information on this nonsense limitation our providers have so graciously offered.

- Dean -

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones