About the post "ATTENTION: Running Android 2.1? BIG READ ME!"General

Last Updated:

1. snorander

snorander Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I don't know about anyone else, but I did a factory reset 5 days ago(July 30th) and I have no problem with 3G it works fine....

Advertisement
  2. Medic005

Medic005 Well-Known Member

I did a factory reset on August 2nd and I still have my 3G service.

3. Flyphoenix

Flyphoenix Well-Known Member

My 3G works fine too..that is just werid

4. gospodinwizard

gospodinwizard Well-Known Member

I did the data reset/wipe this morning before I saw the post and I still have 3G but it seemed to go in and and out. I put back in a know good set of APNs I had backed up maybe a week ago and the situation improved. Is this issue allegedly happening for all Verizon 3G phones? I'd be curious to see if it happens to a greater degree to folks running a rooted Sprint-based ROM.

5. EricB

EricB Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if this affects people who are rooted and running 2.2? I know I haven't had any issues whatsoever.

6. Lagos

Lagos Well-Known Member

zero issues, just did one 2 days ago.

7. mdeblaz

mdeblaz Well-Known Member

i lost 3G the other day for no apparent reason... a simple power cycle fixed it.

8. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

Same here...put WW 4.6 on my phone with a wipe, yesterday. 3G works fine. Glad I wasn't had by whatever is going on.

9. lukesdiesel

lukesdiesel Well-Known Member

We rooted a eris last night and flashed Suave Smush. No issues until this morning. He lost all 3G. We did a reboot with no change. Flashed his back to stock (1.5) and his 3g came back .

10. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

I guess I can't change ROMs for a while.

11. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

I think it only applies to stock 2.1
    I think most roms are 2.1 update

12. snorander

snorander Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Mine is A stock 2.1 Eris, I just did a factory reboot and I didn't lose 3G everything works great....

13. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

I think we need to tighten up the definition of "factory reset" in order to shed any light on this. (And put me down in the "skeptical" column anyway - I'm not convinced it is anything more than an unfounded rumor.)

It has been customary to refer to the process of ROM replacement by rooters as a "factory reset" - but wiping and re-writing the /system, /data, and /cache partitions - even the bootloader area - is not the same thing that happens when you take a stock HTC Eris and perform a factory reset.

Sure, you have to start over reconfiguring your phone - but did you ever notice that you did not need to activate your phone when you did this?

As of 2.1 for the Eris, the "factory reset" procedure was performed by the (stock) recovery boot - not the main OS. There are indications that this involves changes to the NVRAM area on the phone, and possibly the "misc" partition as well.

There are two reasons why I mention this:

1) NONE - that's right, NONE of the current root methods touch either of these two non-volatile NAND memory areas.

2) It is the job of the /sbin/recovery program within the recovery boot to do the work requested by the main OS - and it turns out that the version of /sbin/recovery in the Amon_RA recovery boot is not 100% compatible/identical with the stock HTC /sbin/recovery program. In practice, it is actually impossible to do a full "HTC Factory Reset" as it is defined by HTC with their 2.1 Eris ROMs when you are using the Amon_RA custom recovery.

Anybody that has tried a "factory reset" with an Amon_RA recovery partition can testify to the fact that they do not need to re-register their phone (*228), whereas if they did the "factory reset" on a stock Eris, they would have to re-register. Same thing goes for ROM installs - it is actually unusual that you would need to re-register, unless you had performed the FR with a "factory" 2.1 Eris (either the first 2.1 OTA or the second).

My own opinion is (first) that there is no new risk in the rooting process even if there was a legitimate problem - because the rooting "factory reset" is not the same as that performed by a stock phone, and (second) that the claim made is unfounded and almost too hard to believe.

Let me see - there is a phenomenon that "no one understands", and is across a variety of handsets (from different manufacturers), every one of them with a different proprietary bootloader, and it is mysteriously and simultaneously date dependent on all different hardware.

Please.

eu1

14. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Irrespective of the issue at hand, having to do with whether or not there is risk to 2.1 OTA users performing a full reset, your post there is chock full of useful information and is very much appreciated.

mare621 likes this.
  15. varkie

varkie Well-Known Member

I did a real factory reset, from the menu option, with re-activation, last Thursday (the 29th of July) without any problems.

16. mare621

mare621 Active Member

I just rooted this afternoon with the one click method and I have no problem with my 3g. I didn't install a ROM though, but I'm hoping I can when I decide on one. Maybe i'll wait a bit &see where this goes since I'm definitely a novice at this.;)

17. thetingster

thetingster Well-Known Member

erisuser1, and Frisco thanks for sharing, I like how you think.

18. bcltoys

bcltoys Well-Known Member

I think something is going on dont know what but I have lost 3g today at least 6 times for a hour or so at a time at home and at work where I normally get at least -68 dbm signal meter all over the place right now im at -68dbm and my meter showing where it normally would be three bars its showing 0 bars also going in and out of 3g and 1x. Weird im going to try a battery pull.Also im not rooted rock stock over the air 2.1.

19. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Just to add some data to the mix - for folks that think this somehow elevates the risk of rooting:

I flashed a new ROM onto my phone (tazzpatriot's CM6-Froyo-V5) - late last night 8/3 (actually 8/4 on the East Coast).

No problems with 3G.

Note this is consistent with my prior post: the typical operations involved in flashing a new ROM are a subset of what happens in an honest-to-goodness HTC "factory reset". You do have to reconfigure the ROM from scratch, but that's not quite the same thing as a "real" factory reset.

Not that I think the scenario described is real, anyway; but there you go: I read Trident's post ... and then went and flashed a new ROM.

eu1

20. bcltoys

bcltoys Well-Known Member

I wonder if them sending froyo out to the driod is screwing with the network.

21. dtodd

dtodd Member

Noticed similar problems. Isn't our earth being bombarded by solar radiation from a massive coronal mass ejection (solar flare)? :rolleyes: (coming from a non-solar weather expert).

22. copestag

copestag Well-Known Member

hmmm........ strange indeed..........

has anyone considered maybe it has something to do with the huge coronal mass ejection (solar flare) that erupted over the weekend and began bombarding earths atmosphere in the am hours today

FOXNews.com - Solar Tsunami to Strike Earth

ThorSkaagi likes this.