About the SD card process

Last Updated:

1. hgoldner

hgoldner Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Getting ready to root my Dinc, I see the instructions call for copying everything off of the SD card, reformatting it fat32, and putting the requisite files (unrevoked, a ROM, the radio, etc.) in the "root directory" of a reformatted SD card.

I have a 32g microSD card already loaded with lots of stuff (and already formatted as Fat32).

My questions are:

1. Do I really have to wipe it blank with only the files necessary for rooting, etc.?

2. Can't I just use a 2g card, format it and put everything on there?

Is there something magic about what happens with the card that is essentially to the process running properly?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. dibs ODDJOB

dibs ODDJOB Well-Known Member

Maybe someone with more experience can help here, but I don't think that is necessary. At least if you are not flashing a new ROM.

I just rooted for the first time (kept stock ROM) and I didn't do anything with my 8GB SD card that I was already using, other than what happens during the tutorial. I did backup all my data on the internal and SD memory, just in case. I also did an apps backup using Astro and Appbrain, but I haven't needed it yet.

hgoldner likes this.
  3. hgoldner

hgoldner Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My intention right now is just to root initially and get used to that and running Titanium backups. The next step will be to install a ROM with sense (leaning towards Virtuous) and if that works out, then even a different kernel.

Should I use a clean SD card for the ROM and kernel installs? Or is the point that there's a Nandroid backup on the card being used in case something goes wrong?

4. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

You don't need a clean sd card but it does need to be formatted to fat32.