About to buy one, some opinions would be great

Last Updated:

1. Kai13

Kai13 Member This Topic's Starter

So, today I'm going to buy my firts android phone, as I want one with a physical keyboard and this is the only one available, I'm going to buy LG GW620.

Or should I buy another one?
    What are the pros and cons?
    What the battery life like with not much use?
    Should I wait for another phone?

Please help me. I want to make the right choise.

Advertisement
  2. drowned.rat

drowned.rat Active Member

Well....if you read thru these forums you will see the phone has some issues. Having said that....I LOVE THIS PHONE!
    I just spent 2 years using a Blackberry Pearl and this is a major upgrade imo. My wife has an iPhone, and I have dinked around with it, but I still prefer the Eve.

It has everything you could want (real keyboard is a plus, as is the 5mp camera)

3. Kai13

Thanks!
    Do you feel those "issues" a lot? Are they so "big" as some reviews say?

Could you review the aspects about:
    -screen
    -Battery life
    -slow(ness) of the phone, apps...

I tried the phone for a few minutes and it seemed ok. I still haven't bought it though, it arrives next week, so I'm using the time to do some research.

If you don't mind, of course, could you try using an app for me? It's because of that I'm buying it. It's called "ankidroid". You are going to need to have a deck I can give one to you. Please, if you can do that favor to me please let me know. Thank you.

I think this video helps putting it to work:
    YouTube - ankidroid

Thanks ;)

4. drowned.rat

drowned.rat Active Member

Ok....

Reviews:
    -Screen: love the screen size. touch screen very responsive (better than iPhone I'd say). Have never found a good case for the phone (to protect the screen) since the keyboard slides out. But I left the plastic protecter film on (or you can buy a protective film)
    - Battery Life: about 24hrs with low to moderate use. As bad as 8 hours with heavy use and alot of Apps running (particularily when you have apps like twitter and facebook updating every 15 mins from the web)
    - slowness: ? I do not find it slow at all and runs quite smoothly. There are times it hangs. But I have had the phone for about a week and it only hangs about once a day and only for a few seconds. Only one did it hang so badly I had to pull the battery.

As far as Ankidroid - It is now available from the Android Market (i searced and found it) so the process used in the video you attached may not be needed. You should have no issues using Anki. I wish I could get BYKI (Before You Know It) on Andriod....but so far it is only available on the iPhone. (It is a great language tool, I think similar to anki, that uses flashcards.)

Hope this was helpful. Others may have a different opinion.

5. Kai13

Thank you so much!

I was a little aprehensive about buying it a few hours ago, but now I'm not. And I can't wait to have it.
    You know, I bought an android phone because I want to use ankidroid, and I'll buy this one because it has physical keyboard. Oh about other apps I'll also want, games, and I don't know what other kind of apps have, but I'll want of those too :D

Thank you for your reply ;)

6. Torontonian

Torontonian Member

I just bought one this week and am loving it. I have not experienced any of the "problems" people complain about. Maybe they have an older firmware or something. My Eve is FAST and I have already installed 23 free apps.

7. Kai13

What made you buy it knowing that there will not be updates do 2.0 firmware?

Thanks ;)

8. Torontonian

Torontonian Member

Version 2x only JUST came out. By the time there is a significant amount of software requiring 2.0 and up, I will have bought another phone or two. I have my eye on the Sony Experia 10. I waited an Android phone now and was not going to wait for a device that is not on the market. Nexus just came out but does not look nice, IMHO.

LG is updating the Eve to 1.6 this spring. In a few short days I have added over 30 awesome apps to my device.

Oh yeah, there are not enough devices available with keyboards and a keyboard is a must for me...though the Xperia does not have one but I will still have my Eve when I do buy Experia.

:) Cheers!

9. Keener

Keener Member

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't buy it again. I'll be replacing it when I get a chance. I'll be watching Ebay for a GSM phone.

10. Keener

Keener Member

Just to be clear, I mostly like the phone, but it's too damn unstable. I'm growing an extra long index finger nail just to more conveniently pop the battery out. Not a good sign.