• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

About to Ditch Samsung Galaxy S in favour of Blackberry :-(

bodleytunes

Lurker
Oct 21, 2010
Hey folks,

I'm struggling with my new Galaxy S phone.

I run a business which depends on me being shown as online on my Google Talk all the time.

On my website I have a chat box which will send messages to my phones via Gtalk.

I've used this flawlessly for two years with my Blackberry bold 9000 and more recently the 9700.

However with the Galaxy S after a certain amount of time, the phone seems to go to sleep and make me show as "offline" on Gtalk .... basically making me uncontactable which could be loosing me business.

I've made sure all obvious settings on Gtalk like "automatic away status" are unticked.

I've even installed an app which turns on Swap and enables a 200mb swap file (as this was recommended by a few) .

The only thing that brings me back online is to swipe the phone and unlock it to get back to the desktop, then all of a sudden my website shows that my gtalk is online again.

I'm this close to sending it back and getting a blackberry torch, as I know even though they are boring phones that you can't do much with, the reliability (for what I use it for - Gtalk, push mail etc) is second to none.

Anyone got any ideas of what I should be trying to sort this? Maybe its something more obvious?

I don't really fancy hacking around too much to get something this simple to work.

Cheers!

Jonathan.

I've made sure all obvious settings on Gtalk like "automatic away status" are unticked.

in Google Talk under settings, make sure "Automatic away-status" is unchecked

Hmm...

Not sure what your issue is Johnathan. What's the reason for it having to say Online at all times? I still get messages even when I'm away.

Upvote 0
Is this mainly when you're connected to wifi?

If so go into Menu > Settings > Wireless & Networks > Wi-Fi Settings > MENU (hard button) > Advanced >Wifi Sleep policy > Never

For mobile data theres'a setting in Menu > Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks >Enable always on Mobile data.

(these are both for the HTC Legend but I'd think it was similar on your device....)

Upvote 0
Jonathan, I agree.

the BB is far more reliable for IM and email delivery then my Samsung Acclaim. I often find that my Yahoo IM has logged me out, and more often then not I get all my yahoo email delayed as long as 12 hours after they have been sent. (I never use or check gmail) I do not rely heavily on timely delivery, so it's not a big deal for me, but I was much happier with my blackberry for these things and would go back to a BB in a heartbeat if these were more important then web browsing / Kindle book reading.

Dave

Upvote 0
I'm really gutted, as this phone does a ton more things than a blackberry will do, but its not doing the basics well enough, I thought it would be uber slick with gmail apps (like Gtalk) seeing as Google develop the OS.

I rarely use WiFi to be honest, this is happening when I'm sat here with a 3G signal.

My trusty Blackberry would stay connected to google talk through 3G, GPRS ... GSM virtually whatever the signal quality was too. I'm loosing my confidence in the phone and running out of options.

If so go into Menu > Settings > Wireless & Networks > Wi-Fi Settings > MENU (hard button) > Advanced >Wifi Sleep policy > Never

For mobile data theres'a setting in Menu > Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks >Enable always on Mobile data.

I shall try the above options next and see what happens!

Cheers,

Jon.

Upvote 0
I'm really gutted, as this phone does a ton more things than a blackberry will do, but its not doing the basics well enough, I thought it would be uber slick with gmail apps (like Gtalk) seeing as Google develop the OS.

I rarely use WiFi to be honest, this is happening when I'm sat here with a 3G signal.

My trusty Blackberry would stay connected to google talk through 3G, GPRS ... GSM virtually whatever the signal quality was too. I'm loosing my confidence in the phone and running out of options.

I shall try the above options next and see what happens!

Cheers,

Jon.

I'm using a Vibrant with a custom ROM and absolutely loving it! However, to be honest, if I found myself in a position where I had to depend on getting messages for my livelihood, be them email, SMS or IM, I wouldn't hesitate to revert to a BlackBerry. I came from a 9700 to the Vibrant, my first Android phone.

Indeed, the Android phones do far more than any BB and are as close to a computer-in-your-pocket that we've seen to date. They can do amazing things.

Even so, there can be little dispute that when it comes to messaging of any kind, the BB is still King of the Hill. This may change in time, but I don't envision that time to be soon.

I understand it's a tough choice. Keep us posted!

Upvote 0
Ok, update:

E-Buddy is free and working well, no disconnections so far!

Anyone know how to get the Galaxy S to flash or does it have an LED like the Bberry when you get a message.

I miss the red led flashing on a bberry when you have unread messages or a chat message, it always gets your attention and its such a simple invention!!

Upvote 0
Ok, update:

E-Buddy is free and working well, no disconnections so far!

Anyone know how to get the Galaxy S to flash or does it have an LED like the Bberry when you get a message.

I miss the red led flashing on a bberry when you have unread messages or a chat message, it always gets your attention and its such a simple invention!!

If you're constantly connected to (or can connect to) a charger, you might want to consider NoLED.

However, it's a battery drainer. But might be worth it if you're always topped up.

BTW, I like eBuddy a lot. Very reliable app imo.

Upvote 0
Ok using BeeJive IM and NoLED now and all seems pretty good.

Battery is crap though. My 9700 lasts 3 days easily.

Can you get double MaH capacity battery's?

You can get bigger ones than the one you have. Search Google for Galaxy S extended battery annd you will find something.
Make sure you buy from a trusted source and made by a trusted manufacturer so that you do not end up buying crap.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones