About to do a factory reset, but first, some questions....General

Last Updated:

1. hdevine

hdevine Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My phone has been getting very laggy lately and the local Verizon guy suggested a factory reset, which I am getting ready to do. I've read the related threads on here, but I have some minor questions that I hope will ease my mind a little before I do this.

1) I know that my Google contacts will be restored later with the sync. What about any contacts that I may have added that I chose "phone' instead of "Google"?

2) I have a program called Password Vault that I keep all of my relevant passwords in. How do I backup that data? Will getting a program like mybackuppro (I saw that suggested in a few threads) save this?

3) I have Mobile Defense installed in case my phone is ever lost or stolen. Will I have to reinstall/re-register my phone with that app after the reset?

4) I have SMS backup installed to periodically backup my texts to my gmail account. Its not a big deal if I lose the texts I have currently as they're backed up. Is there much point in restoring any of those? Or just reinstall Handcent and start from scratch?

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks for any hints before I take this leap.
    Harry

Advertisement
  2. fenwaynomar45

fenwaynomar45 Well-Known Member

1. I think those go bye bye.. so id write them down. (my factory reset experience)
    2.I use astro manager and it is great very easy to use. Kept all my programs and pictures and such after my reset.
    3. No idea
    4. No idea

3. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Phone contacts will not be restored. I believe that there are apps that can save these in a .csv file (comma separated value text file) that you could import into Google contacts online, or use a backup app to restore them, though I should let others comment on this - I have never had phone-only contacts.

Yes. Reinstall the app, and either on the first run or the first reboot, it will walk you through logging in to your MobileDefense account, send you a text message which will reactivate the app, and you'll be back in business.

Personally, I don't restore them, but a MyBackUp Pro restore could bring them back. Well, I did it once, but ended up with a ton of duplicated text messages emails in my gmail account's SMS label after SMS Backup saw them and thought that they were new (though, honestly, it didn't take me long to delete the dupes.)

The first time that you go into the market after logging in with your Google account, all of your apps, including the free ones, will be under the downloads section. If you leave the market and go back, the free ones may disappear, so I always install all of my apps in a single shot and then set everything up later.

4. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Before doing a factory reset and going through all that hassle, have you cleared the cache for all of your programs. Whenever my phone starts to get laggy that's always the first thing I do, and it's quite helpful.
    Also, uninstall any apps that you don't need/use - that will help to free up space.
    THEN, if your phone still lags you can go the factory reset route.

Be sure and back up your SD card to your computer before doing the factory reset. The reset should NOT affect the SD card in any way, but better safe than sorry. And if you haven't backed up your SD card yet then you probably need to do that anyway. :)

5. Shnuddy

Shnuddy Well-Known Member

I've had them disappear from the list in the middle of re-installing without navigating away from the market, so it's not a bad idea to write down your apps before you reset. The paid ones will stay though.

6. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

7. hdevine

OK, I see the backup option in Astro, so I'm going to give that a go later. As for the contact question I had, how do I differentiate between which contacts are Google and which are Phone? Or am I supposed to "just know"?

Thanks,
    Harry

8. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

You can open the "People" application then press Menu > View to determine how many of each you have.

9. hdevine

Thanks. I saw that option and was able to view just the "Phone Only" contacts. I saw the option for import/export there too, so I tried it. It saved them to my sd card, but it saved all of them (google ones too). Will this cause a duplicate contact issue when my Google stuff is sync'd the first time? If it will, how can I save just the Phone only ones (outside of "write them down and add them back in manually")?

Thanks for the great tips and info!
    Harry