• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

About to get a Defy, just a quick question or two

I'm about to get a Defy from Computer Exchange, if it ever arrives at my local store, but that's a different story.

The phone although it's used, will come with a 12mo warranty from them. I've heard some 'interesting' tales from various people, and plenty of happy campers too. I'm aware that rooting/unlocking and all other non-official stuff would invalidate this warranty.

So, to cover my back I want to know some info for when I collect it. What are the latest official versions of Android and firmware for a UK 3 mobile based Defy handset? Also, how do I go about checking this in the shop (is it a #code# type affair?). I want to make sure nothing there is untoward, for me to return with a problem and then get accused that I put it on the phone.

I will also be a virgin to Android with this phone, so I'm probably going to be on here asking all sorts of annoying questions, but I'm past 30 so technologically I'm braindead LOL. I look forward to enjoying this forum and it's support and finding useful widgets and software to customise my phone.

If it's rooted there will be an app in the app drawer called superuser. If it's not there then the phone aint rooted.

If it's stock then as far as I'm aware it will be running android 2.1 as I don't think 3 has updated to 2.2 yet. To check this go to settings/about phone and it will show you what version of android the phone is running.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Thanks very much padstar for the information, I shall have a look for the app you mention and check out the Android version. I'd be surprised to see it updated on 3, because I had a Nokia E63 and the firmwarte updates from 3 were non-existant despite them addressing major issues I was having with the phone. Nokia were up to 500.xx.xx and 3 were up to 200.xx.xx, they're truly shocking for support like that it seems.

Now all I need is for Computer Exchange to actually be competent in providing this handset for me, as I'm willing to exchange money. It was sent from a different branch on 24th June, still no word on its arrival so I'm probably going to choose a different handset anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones