About to get an HTC Desire...

Last Updated:

1. microserfs

microserfs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys.

Just a few questions, since I'm getting my HTC Desire next week on contract from Orange. (Upgrading, so can't go on any other contract).

I have an appointment to go in and possibly upgrade with Phones4u, who said they'll throw in a few incentives but after overhearing about the Orange Branding problem I'm kind of thinking of going to Carphone Warehouse instead.. is it true they keep their phones unbranded?

I may lose out on the discount on my contract or any extra accessories thrown in but do you think having a phone lumbered with this rubbish is worth that anyway? I don't like my phone being messy and it sounds like they added alot of useless/pointless apps on the homepage. Does it take up much space from the phone? :\ Plus the problems with the homepage redirection and gtalk being removed and their crappy instant messenger.. ugh sounds so bothersome and I'm not really up for flashing my rom or anything like that. I don't really like the idea of not having the standard HTC widgets as well, the one reason I'm choosing Android is because it's different.. I like Orange but not THAT much. :p

What do you think is best? Go to Carphone warehouse instead??

Advertisement
  2. hippy247

hippy247 Well-Known Member

I got my desire through carphone warehouse ( payg ) and it was supposed to be orange, but just swapped the sim to my old 3 sim and found out it was unlocked and unbranded.

3. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Not all Orange phones sold by CPW will be unbranded. ;)

4. microserfs

Really? oh they assured me they would be.. but the most I could do I guess is to go in and try the phone they offer me perhaps, see whether it is or not. :\

I've heard cases of most phones bought/got from CPW being unbranded so there's probably a 90% chance it'll be okay, right??

I just wanna know what kind of problems people are having with the branded software.. I'd miss gtalk and I really want to use the HTC/android software :(

5. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Try first, and if branded you have your answer.

The biggest clue will be the box. Orange branded phones come in black & orange boxes usually ;)

6. microserfs

Oh nice one. I'll just run as soon as I see a black and orange box ;)

7. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

I say *should* be. There have been a few that havent initially (wife had a few Samsungs around launch that didnt, but later on they did).

8. ilh

ilh Active Member

I could be missing something but I don't really see what the big problem everyone is having. The ONLY evidence of Orange branding that is visible on mine (apart from the logo on the back and on startup) is the orange door on the internet browser icon.

You can remove the orange junk from the homescreens, the HTC widgets are all (18 with 3 more available to download - is that how many are on the unbranded ROM?) there to choose from and the browser homepage can be changed (mine is currently phandroid). The orange apps do still appear in the full app list, but I have a lot in there so I don't notice them in the mix and everything that I actually use i've put in some form or another on the homescreens anyway (widgets/shortcuts/program links) so it's rare I use the full app list anyway. As far as space, for some reason it doesn't tell you how much space is taken up by the orange apps (I presume because you can't uninstall them) but i've not run into space issues so far and i've installed loads of stuff.

Again I could be missing something but i'd say it's not worth losing your discounts over but you might as well try get it unbranded if you don't lose your discounts.

(I tell a lie, I do have an extra bit of orange branding, I downloaded the orange wednesdays app but that's one of the good extras being on Orange :p)

9. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

You can also install the gtalk app now, thats not a problem.

Honestly, I would say get it from the place that would give you the best contract. You can always flash to the generic rom if needed anyway.

10. SJamG

SJamG Well-Known Member

I flashed mine the other day...and it made a big difference for me. I found that my battery life is much much better and just the ability to uninstall apps when I want to is great.

I would say Flash it, but it doesnt suit everyone.

enjoy & good luck.

11. microserfs

Just nervous that flashing it would kind of void a warranty or give me stick if I sent it to be repaired (if ever needed). After all, I am getting a two year contract so who knows.

Also are all Android apps available on the branded Desire? I imagine they must be, right?