About to get my N1 and want to wait to root - got a noob question though...

Last Updated:

1. snvyas

snvyas Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all, about to get my N1 tomorrow and can't wait :) It is the most amazing phone I have ever seen (only had dumbphones before) and was never that impressed with my friend's iphones. I have read alot about the benefits of rooting and was interested in doing that but wanted to get used to the phone and such before launching into rooting it.

My question is if I decide to set up my phone as to how I like it along with apps and such and THEN decide to root - will i have to re setup everything and lose my apps?

Or should I just go ahead and root from the start? Like I said, I have only had dumbphones before so just having the N1 is going to be pretty overwhelming and fun to discover even without rooting.

Any advice and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Advertisement
  2. RogerPodacter

RogerPodacter Well-Known Member

yes you will have to install all your apps again. but if I were you, a new user, I would use the phone stock for a while and get used to it first. install some apps and experiment. then when you're used to it you should root so you know the difference and can see the advantages over stock.

3. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

I too only had dumbphones before and came to know about rooting a day or two after I got my nexus. I was tempted, but for the same reasons as you I decided to wait.
    Now after about a month and a half I feel like I really know my phone and android enough and I'll probably root it soon to optimize it to my liking :D

4. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

Also note that rooting VOIDS your warranty!!! IMO, as you came from a dumb phone, the stock N1 is already 1000% better than anything you've experience with a dumb phone. Look at what the various root OSs have to offer and really ask yourself, do you need those features? Also with 2.2 rumoured to be released next month and will have most of the features offered in the rooted OS, I don't see the point to rooting ATM. That's just my opinion :p

Signing off,
    -Roze-

5. Buck Shot

Buck Shot Well-Known Member

came from a blackberry, rooted it in 2 weeks time. Just make sure to do ur research and come on here and xda forums. They have all the answers. NANDROID BACKUP!!!

6. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

2 words: Battery Life
    Rooting can significantly improve your battery life.
    If you're rooted, you could flash the undervolted kernel and use various root-only apps such as setCPU, both methods improve your battery life more then any non-rooting method, as I see it (may vary on the way the phone is used).
    And then ofcourse there's just more control over your OS, like setting which programs run at start up to optimize your boot.
    As for custom ROMs, that's just optional, suit yourself.

Correct me if I'm wrong tho :p